Sign in to follow this  
Nathman

BIS, Armed Assault, and north america

The thing most people don't realize is that almost all publishers for North America are international publishers. Eidos, EA, Activision, Codemasters, Ubisoft, and so forth. Only a few of those are actually U.S. companies. Many are based in Europe.

The problem with all of them, of course, is that they're huge and probably require concessions that BIS doens't want to bear.

I think it has nothing to do with any publisher in the US thinking they have the "right" to do what they will with ArmA; rather, it's the fact there are almost no independent publishers in the U.S. that are worth anything for distribution.

Unless they strike a deal with one of the smaller ones, especially one that will do some good marketing, we're most likely stuck with an online version at some point.

Regardless of whose fault it is, the entire mess is a debacle. I'm sure BIS would be the first to admit that they'd love to have NA distribution already in the pipes. With a decent marketing scheme, it could really sell far better than even OFP, IMHO.

Quote[/b] ]But the US isn't the greatest nation on Earth, is it? Not anymore. We've been steadily declining - mostly because being the "Greatest nation on Earth" is titled that must be earned, not simply declared or automatically inherited by the proceeding generation.

Right, Upper Volta is now.

Please leave politics out of this discussion

The thing most people don't realize is that almost all publishers for North America are international publishers. Eidos, EA, Activision, Codemasters, Ubisoft, and so forth. Only a few of those are actually U.S. companies.

a very very good point, and one I had over looked

Quote[/b] ]well as u can all see, theres plenty of demand

You can't tell that from looking at a forum. Personally, I doubt there are enough North American customers on this forum to guarantee a profitable production run.

Was going to point out a few things about BIS and the Pubs, but I just found out my Czech copy is on it's way..  So never mind me, argue amongst yourselves.   nener.gif

Being picky?? I would be picky to if'n I was trying to Market a game in probably the biggest gaming industry in the world. I think none of this will matter anyways when they see the sells in EU an others then BIS will have US publishers beating there door down.

Wassis?!

An American is yelling at BIS because ArmA is available in Czech, before US (and's only just been released)? Even though BIS is Czech. Even though it's not available in any other country yet? (AFAIK).

C'mon, It's not that long until January, the rest of us are waiting.

The absurdity of the situation regarding Armed Assault and it's inability to be played by people who are willing to hand over at least 50 US dollars (and most likely a helluva a lot more) tends to make me believe that BIS is incompetent, at best, in marketing it's product.  

The fact of the matter is that Armed Assault is the sequel to a game which won game of the year honors bestowed upon it by some very big names in the gaming world.  That in and of itself would seemingly propel the sequel to OFP to major news status.   BIS has a hit a home run with the first game and when the follow on game is released, they claim they can't find a US publisher.   And whose fault is that?   As a result, we have people in the US contacting europeans to send them a copy and  other such ridiculous situations.  

I don't believe BIS would know a marketing plan if it hit them between the eyes.   I don't particularly care when it's released as I don't have the time to invest in the near future to play it, but it strikes me as a lesson in how not to run a company.

Wow, you're just a marketing wizard aren't you?

Like others have said, OFP sits in relative obscurity in the US. It's sad, but true. Publishers aren't hot on PC games right now, since all the buzz is around consoles.

And another thing: even if BIS won awards for the original OFP, who cares? That was years ago. YEARS. It doesn't do as much as you think when you try to find a publisher for your new game.