Sign in to follow this  
-HUNTER-

Do older OFP addons work in arma?

I havent seen the question in the forum. If its not a good one for this forum please do move it.

Do ofp addons, maps, units, vehicles, work in arma?

And that is a question I would like to ask the ppl who are allready playing the game. I would like to see if its possible to see some of them, some ofp addons, like the mi-8's or the hinds, or something high speed in the looks. And with the new graphics whats the fps on older ofp maps?

thank you! thumbs-up.gif

All OFP addons would have to be edited a bit to run in ArmA. And then it's not worth it because they'd look like SHIT.

All OFP addons would have to be edited a bit to run in ArmA. And then it's not worth it because they'd look like SHIT.

LOL thanks not true, I think the community made some great addons that will live up to today.

Pardon my French but, WTF? huh.gificon_rolleyes.gif

The quality of many recent OFP addons released looks more than adequate for ArmA

I think he means that they will not have normal or specuilar maps,deadmeat and I have said it and I'll say it again. It is not a good idea to attempt to make current OFP addons work in Armed Assault,atleast not with their current texture "libraries".

Pardon my French but, WTF?  huh.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif

The quality of many recent OFP addons released looks more than adequate for ArmA

.... Only if upgraded to take into account the new lighting and shader system(s). Of course, this is only my opinion.

- dRb

I'm sorry but there is a HUGE quality difference between OFP graphics and ArmA graphics.

If someone did a straight port of an OFP addon, with no upgrading the graphics to ArmA, It'd look out of place.

Or no one would want it cause it'd look worse that the default BIS units.

my 2 cents

smile_o.gif

Very CPU suicidal idea.

1 texture = 1 normal map+1 specuilar map.

5 textures =15

10 textures=30

25 textures =75

See where this is goin?

Come on! some of the addons for OFP looked really up-to date, and their quality is suitable for ArmA, e.g latest Mi-8 for OFP with its quality looks like one from ArmA...Of course models of people became obsolete because of the new ArmA engine which allows new anims etc, but me thinks some of OFP technics addons must be ported to arma!! Besides it'll take a lot of time to create new ones...

And also i want to ask BIS if there will be some kind of tutorial of how to convert older addons and to edit the config?

And

Quote[/b] ]with the new graphics whats the fps on older ofp maps?

Does that mean that OFP islands are already work for Arma without editing??

Sure it would look great but you guys aren't using much sense here,the current OFP addon has 8 textures standard,we would have to migrate to the less detailed single sheet 2048x2048 or so texture file so that we don't kill the system. Sure a large archive may not sound so bad with one addon,but think of how bad it will be with atleast 10 OFP addons,were talkin about 100+ textures easily.

Does that mean that OFP islands are already work for Arma without editing??

No.. OFP islands will never work in arma without basically remaking them.

And concerning the addons. They are really badly optimized for ArmA so it's not recommendable to use them in arma unless they have been made to suit ArmA. Many OFP vehicles uses more than a dozen different textures. The ArmA engine will attempt to load normal maps, difuse maps etc. for each one of them which makes them extremely laggy.

Of course the good ones can and should be modified to arma but it will take some time. Though the result will be much better than what we see in OFP. Sure, OFP addons might look nice in screenshots but they don't stand a chance against the real time lightning methods of the ArmA models.

I'm sure if you searched, or read one of the many ArmA interviews, or read the FAQ you would know Flashpoint addons will require some work to make them ArmA compatible, generally in the area of config changes.