Sign in to follow this  
Sturmwolf

Deployable HMGs?

I thought the M240 and the M249 were Belgian.

Anyway it's a fantasy scenario. Anything goes.

I thought the M240 and the M249 were Belgian.

Anyway it's a fantasy scenario. Anything goes.

Yes true.. the guns are built by the Belgian Manufacturer FN but are also produced under license in many wester countries. The M240 and M249 are the american designations for the gun.

Also designates are: Mag58, Minimi, MG4, (even chinese & japanese copies), and some others I cant recall now.

This not aimed at anyone in particular, but it's not the weight of the MG, it's the recoil... try letting 1200 rounds/sec go standing up, and see how well you do!  rofl.gif

There's a reason they lay down and deploy that MG.

I definitely am hoping for a system of deployable MG's with ArmA... and something that goes beyond an artificial "vehicle" that you have to "get in" (like in FDF).  IMO, this would be best implemented as part of the engine.  The optimal system would straddle the line between:

1. Being able to fire your MG from any posture just as you would a rifle -and-

2. Having to "get in" your deployed MG, as you would a truck.

This not aimed at anyone in particular, but it's not the weight of the MG, it's the recoil... try letting 1200 rounds/sec go standing up, and see how well you do!  rofl.gif

I would actually try that, but due to government restrictions full auto MG42's cost 40,000 dollars here. sad_o.gif

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Oct. 25 2006,17:36)]the guns are built by the Belgian Manufacturer FN but are also produced under license in many wester countries. The M240 and M249 are the american designations for the gun.

Also designates are: Mag58, Minimi, MG4, (even chinese & japanese copies), and some others I cant recall now.

The FNH mag is my favorite medium machinegun, it's funny how we replaced the BAR with the M60, only to replace the M60 with the M240, which is based off of the basic BAR design.

Not bad for a a gun JMB designed in a only a few months, during the first World War.

john-moses-browning.jpg

^ best gun designer in human history.

I would actually try that, but due to government restrictions full auto MG42's cost 40,000 dollars here. sad_o.gif

$40000 huh?  I was at an airshow a couple of years back and this guys had four MG42s.  And a Panzershrek, and a bunch of other stuff.  But four of em... can you imagine! tounge2.gif

He told me what he paid for them back in the sixties, which I don't recall now, but it was a small fraction of what he claimed they were worth on that day in 2004.  Sure looks like he had his investment scheme down.

He also mentioned how they have to get post-production rounds to shoot them at re-enactments, which are extremely expensive (cause the original rounds are so old they can't be trusted).  Not to mention they rip through them at 1200 rounds per sec... sure sounds like fun though.

OK, me back OT now...  huh.gif

Whe have Deployable Heavy Weapons in OFP since years.

I think it whas one of the fist WGL releases, that included deployable HMG`s, AT Weapons and Mortars.

So if whe don`t get it in vanilla Armed Assault, it will be modded or introduced by an Official Expansion.

$40000 huh?  I was at an airshow a couple of years back and this guys had four MG42s.  And a Panzershrek, and a bunch of other stuff.  But four of em... can you imagine! tounge2.gif

He told me what he paid for them back in the sixties, which I don't recall now, but it was a small fraction of what he claimed they were worth on that day in 2004.  Sure looks like he had his investment scheme down.

He also mentioned how they have to get post-production rounds to shoot them at re-enactments, which are extremely expensive (cause the original rounds are so old they can't be trusted).  Not to mention they rip through them at 1200 rounds per sec... sure sounds like fun though.

OK, me back OT now...  huh.gif

OH sure, civie legal NFA machineguns were A LOT less expensive back in the 60's, or even the 80's.

Reason being a change in gun laws back in 1986.

I'll give you  the short version...

The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) put restrictions on weapons, like bombs, machineguns, and short barreled rifles etc.

Basically you can buy an NFA machine gun, but you have to pay a $200 tax stamp, and  do background checks and paperwork for months, before you get to take possession of it.

But in 1986, they stopped accepting tax stamps on new machineguns, so all the NFA machines guns civilians can legally buy now, were registered before the 90's, all machineguns made after 86 can only be sold to Government agencies.

So an MG42's cost 40K, at least partly because it's a fixed commodity.

A better example is the price of an MP5, a civilian legal NFA MP5, registered on, or before 1986 cost $18,000, but a new one just like it, cost  gov agencies $1,500!

banghead.gif

yea, well. john browning. anyways, we replaced the 30 cal with the m60, and the m14 took the role of the m1, m1 carbine, thompson, and bar

yea, well. john browning. anyways, we replaced the 30 cal with the m60, and the m14 took the role of the m1, m1 carbine, thompson, and bar

The M14 never really lived up to expectations, it was to heavy to replace a carbine, or SMG, and could only be accurately shot in Semi auto, the only weapon it truly replaced was the M1 Garand.

I may be mistaken but were some of you saying that the MG42 fires at 1200 rounds per second? Thats insane! The MG42 fires at 1200 rounds per minute.

Well this thread is now completely off-topic, the original request for deployable HMG will I'm sure be answered at some point by a willing addon maker smile_o.gif