Sign in to follow this  
Linker Split

Gradual Alpha transparency

Hi folks out there!!!

I need help...

I've just created the Ia Drang valley, and the grass model too...

but I was wondering... I want to have this type of texture (see how I used Alpha channels) without having this error (related to the Alpha Channel):

trubleuc8.jpg

Is it possible to have a "faded" alpha channel, instead of the classic "White-black" one?

plz answer me....

If I saved the texture in the ".pac" format, but this format always delete the "faded" effect on my TGA...

try using PAAtool 1.1

and turn off alpha filtering when you convert your textures it will solve the problem shown in your pic it will still keep the gradient at the bottom of your grass texture,

Ok I'll try it now... plz stay here in this forum!!! You are the only one who is trying to help me thx smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]and turn off alpha filtering when you convert your textures

how to do this?

ther's no options for it... sad_o.gif

oh nooooo!

It still doesn't work!!!

noup7.png

Do i have to leave the box emprty right?

But I still have the prob... do I need to change something in the other boxes??' plz answer me!!!!

Well, the prob still exist... i don't know what to do, cause if I save the textures without the transparency, they looks ok, but they don't seem real grass....

Here there are the textures and my grass model...

plz someone help me!!!! sad_o.gif

anyway thanks where's my rabbit? for wasting your time helping me...

??

grass.jpg

sent you another email

i did the textures for you...altho i was apparently full of shit about the alpha gradient being kept at the bottom of your grass texture crazy_o.gif cos when i looked at in buldozer it doesn't show...but your problem in your pic above is fixed

i also sent you another grass model to show how you can make your grass less laggy

ah Where is my rabbit, maybe you misunderstood...

I want to keep the alpha gradient at the bottom of my textures, but I don't want the error i told you... Do you understand me?? smile_o.gif

ah Where is my rabbit, maybe you misunderstood...

I want to keep the alpha gradient at the bottom of my textures, but I don't want the error i told you... Do you understand me??  smile_o.gif

Not possible i'm affraid.

so no way of doing it???

sad_o.gif

but some textures (weapon textures) have what i want... (see for example some optic texs)...

so no way of doing it???

sad_o.gif

but some textures (weapon textures) have what i want... (see for example some optic texs)...

Yes. But optics on weapon is a bit different thing. All "cockpits" and optics are drawn last and smooth alphatransparency can be used on them without unwanted artifacts. But alphasorting between separate objects in the scene is almost impossible. That's why isn't smooth alpha used on original OFP trees or bushes.

so nothing to do... even if I try to use RGBA 4:4:4:4?

or try to add a different class to my model?

because it's animated, I configured it as an House...

so nothing to do... even if I try to use RGBA 4:4:4:4?

or try to add a different class to my model?

because it's animated, I configured it as an House...

No. You can only make lower grass, so bad alphasorting will be visible only against the ground and thus it will be hard to spot. I don't know about any other solution and i doubt anybody else knows.

Ok men, if I'll have some news, I'll post here... smile_o.gif

thanks again everybody!

No worries mate. Good luck.

To get it work bit better it would require code changes to OFP to increase alpha test threshold and even then end results might be bit funny depending on which blending mode is used on those textures. It would require modifying actual engine EXE or DXDLL or similar program.

Untill BIS or Codemasters won't release the source code, I can't do anything... I'm looknig for some references in the EXE files with a program, PE Explrer, but since now I still can't edit an EXE or a DLL, 1) it's an illegal thing (reverse Engineering) and 2) there's not a way of grabbing the source code from a compiled EXE...

I tried asking in the Borland forum, but all told me the same thing... no way of obtaining the source code (even if for personal use)...

lol the last possibility is a good one! wink_o.gif

Btw... since now, I've just created animated grasses... but I'm planning a map like Crysis, with interactive objects wink_o.gif

Stay tunned, more to come...

btw... Do you know if DDS are supported from Ofp???