Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

ArmA VOIP - like to see it in?

A few games have VOIP ingame now. I suppose most of us will use Ventrilo or Teamspeak or some similar app, I wonder how people would feel about having one built right into the game.

Bear with me, I know the other apps mean that it's not really necessary, but for extra realism I always thought about how cool it would be to have both positional & distance information affect each player's voice. It's not beyond the wit of man to tag each voice channel to a particular soldier model, and so we could have voices not only emanating from the direction of each soldier, but to also affect the volume by distance, so that we find it harder to hear people further away.

Radio men (indeed anyone close to a radio) could have their voices "transmitted" to a channel unaffected by position & distance, and anyone else with a radio could pick it up.

Would add enormously to the ambiance I think wink_o.gif and add some element of "fog of war" to battles. Ventrilo is very good and I wouldn't be without it, but sometimes I think unlimited communication takes something away, as well as adding. Either or, but the choice would be nice smile_o.gif

I had thought that some ingenious hacker might be able to ascertain positional info from the game packets & work it into some app like Teamspeak or Ventrilo, but then I thought that it would be very similar to how cheats work and so PB or whatever anti-cheat mechanism is used would boot it out.

damn i like your ideas, but the whole sound and distance maybe is a difficult thing to throw into a game? But im no sound engineer here so tounge2.gif seriously i think it would likely be in for game 2 or maybe be added in a patch for armed assault, but thats just maybe biggrin_o.gif

would seriously be cool to have radio men in MP games to add that extra level co-operation when assaulting a town or base or doing a flanking to a enemy position from 2 fronts with 2 snipers, soldiers, teams , squads, armies, platoons or whatever wink_o.gif

Wow I have to say this has to be the best idea I have heard of. This idea is "ARMED ASSAULT". This is what we all are looking for. Kudos to you and your idea!

You get three dancing banannas

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

the whole sound and distance maybe is a difficult thing to throw into a game?

Not at all - if you think about it, it happens all the time whenever anything happens ingame anyway. Gunshots, explosions, engines etc all already have positional & distance effects already. Just be another sound to tag to an object smile_o.gif except it would be a channel.

I'd love a built-in VOIP system do what only a built in can do... basically make your voice in game behave like your voice in the real world.

Considerations when designing such a system:

1. Gums flapping as you are transmitting

2. VOIP isn't as good as real life voice, and neither are our hand signals, military training, ect; so don't make it too gimped over distance.

3. Should voice it be heard by the enemy? Secure channels?

4. The radioman should be able to hand off his handset to another player (NCO?) to use.

5. There should be multiple channels for radio for orginazational purposes. The ability to monitor 2 or more channels would be nice.

5 1/2. Including a broadcast channel for chitchatting with oppposing or spectating people when not "serious."

6. Transmit voice and transmit over telephone should be seperate keys.

7. Voice activation should only work if there's headphones plugged in (just joking, but it should be recommended crazy_o.gif )

8. ArmA will be modern/arcade compared to the hardcore mods so it would be welcome that every grunt has their own personal radio.

9. Ability to send teletype messages, orders, briefings, pictures, data, over data channels from HQ to say a platoon leader onto their "laptop" or similar.

Well, if I recall right, BIS has said that ArmA will have VOIP, and OFP's VOIP has a direct speaking channel. (I've never used it though -- is it directional, or just local?)

i had been hoping for several years that voice comms "in game" could be heard as in real life... so that when in an close quarters scenario your voice very well COULD give away your position.

the next idea possible (albeit far away/or cumbersome) would be like NES "powergloving"....much like track IR, computer is linked to hands via glove, and realtime handsignals could be used by actual hand input. currently it might be hard to implement. but should be out in the next 5 years i say.

wishful thinking..i mean hey who thought an aircraft would ever fly ? and today...mouse movement controlled by head (track-IR)

Well, if I recall right, BIS has said that ArmA will have VOIP, and OFP's VOIP has a direct speaking channel. (I've never used it though -- is it directional, or just local?)

Oh well then maybe modding the VOIP will be possible smile_o.gif, I hadn't heard that it will be in, if you're right then things are looking good already.