Sign in to follow this  
Al Simmons

Cast Away Mod for ArmA

island2qi6.jpg

Due to private reasons Marcus4 decided to stop his work on the Cast Away Project and give his leadership to me. I decided to completely restart this project as a new Mod for ArmA.

In the next days i will be busy checking which content of CAW Proj. will be taken over to the new Mod.

Content Planned:

- Dynamic Campaign

- Dynamic SP Missions in different climate environments

- a new life-sim system: eating, drinking, sleeping....

- a dialoge based building and creating system

- animals for the climate zones

- Islands for at least tropical, desert, arctic and diciduous climate

- an as real as possible survival system: hunting, shelter building, water gathering, farming...

- skill system

- new set of improvised weapons, shelters, traps, vehicles and other objects

Jobs

We are searching:

- Scripters (3)

- 3D Modellers (2)

- Texture artists (2)

- Island Makers (2)

- Animators (2)

- Missiondesigner (1)

- Sound artist (1)

If you are interessted in working for this mod you should :

- have at least minimum 5 hours time per week spending working on the mod

- work steadily

- speak english or german

- be 16 or older

- be willing to install ICQ or MSN for communication

- be skilled

If you are fitting those conditions please send me a PM or e-mail.

#Update#

Animals (listed in climate categorys)

Tropical:

-Pecari

-Jaguar/Panthera

-Snakes

-crabs

-iguanas

-Putrid animal

-monkeys

-birds

-iguana

-caimans

Arctic/northern climate:

-Polar bear

-polar fox

-wolf

-misc deer

-bison

-bears

Desert/africa:

-camel

-wild dogs

-bigger cats wink_o.gif

-snakes

-vulture

-rhino

-giraffe

-elephant

Eurasia:

-Wolf

-bear

-misc deer

-fox

-snakes

-birds

-pigs

If you have suggestions or wishes for more animals, write it down here.

It is a very interesting idea, especially now that I've seen the show "Survivor: Exile Island" and the movie Castaway.

Thx, but is there nobody who have some whishes or suggestions? Now is the time for it, because now iam working on the concept and can add more features.

how abut fishing? maybe by boat or just by a river to get food!? smile_o.gif

We need coconuts z0mg!1!! To dr1nk!!1!!!ONE!!!TWO!!1"#!

tounge2.gif

No, but that would be nice, since you can't drink the saltwater from the sea, only from coconuts or some river inside the island...

If you need some hosting, just ask. Lions cheetahs and such will be nice smile_o.gif

how about the chance to get rescued? there could be random ships and planes that fly and float pass in the distance and the player would have to try and attract attention the best way they can think off?

@D.murphy man

This will be part of the SP Missions, but there are planned to be endless if you want.

The campaign will have a storyline in which this will be at the end, if you which... wink_o.gif

Prepare for an big adventure.

This type of mod sounds very interesting.I could think of lots of ideas.

I see that you will be using some type of resource management.Could have it that you can cut down trees and build a bridge or boat to get to other isles that have resources too.

I like your animals list (alotta work to make the missing animals)

I have a wasp I started, I know thats insect but all i got

A friend sended me some artwork for the mod. One big promo pic for the campaign and 3 pics for sigs.

The main Pic reveals some little info about the story wink_o.gif

islandzz0.jpg

And the sigs, for teammembers aswell as for fans of this mod.

sig2xe0.jpg

sig3fm8.jpg

sig1uq1.jpg

is this going t be made for 1.46 or resistance. and if it is going to be made for resistance, could you please make a 1.46 version aswell, cause i would really like to get this mod when it comes out

Sorry mate, but as u can see in the topic it is not for 1.46 or Resistance. This mod is planned for Armed Assault only

hey,

i spent a few days of intensive scripting optimizing and adding stuff to the original cast away mission when it was originally released, and i learned one thing: this mod is going to require a LOT of scripting, so get yourself a lot of people who are good at that, and then rotate work on the project.

also, release weekly "builds" of the mission on some private forum where you can discuss things to add and have outsiders contribute ideas or scripts (doing it in this thread might become a little messy); the wargames team used a weekly build system when developing its 5th release and it worked beautifully, a lot more was added than would have been otherwise.

so remember: scriptors + frequent releases = success

good luck.

@.pablo.

I know that Cast Away needs a huge amount of scripting and so iam still searching for talented scripters. At the moment iam checking the stuff of the old project and writing the story for the campaign.

About the frequent releases. This is not that easy because this mod will be designed for ArmA, so without ArmA no releases. But i will try to post news about the progress frequently.

if i were you i would start work now for OFP; this is for two reasons:

1. Arma´s scripting language is likely to be very similar (if not the same) as OFP´s. remember, they want to keep things portable from OFP to Arma. getting work done now means a faster release once Arma is available.

2. i see this mod dying before Arma is ever released unless you get started while you still have the creative "fever". marcus3 was excited about this mod for a long time (surprising even me), but even he gave it up eventually. you have to realize that other commitments may come up in the future, so it is in your best interest to get started as soon as possible.

these are just ideas though, you´re the boss in the end.

@.pablo.

Ive already started up the work. But i learned from marcus mistakes (I was part of the old Cast Away Project) and i think his biggest mistake was, that he never made a concept/plan. So we worked on the old project and never found to an end. This time iam making the concept before starting the work on it. Maybe the scripts are working with OFP but iam not sure about the modells.

@NewLander

MP are planned but not anounced for release.

Glad to see this project not die... hope Marcus didn't get to burnt out. He had alot of excellent ideas.

I'm not sure about the location of your island, but edible plants could be very useful. I love the gather system in Oblivion, maybe you could do something similar?

I had an interesting spring/early summer eating cattails this year....cattails can be found pretty much everywhere in the world, and they taste good when young smile_o.gif

Hey

Yeah, I just, got bored with this I guess, I dident have time. Got a job. Fell in love. Computering is not that big a thing anymore with me:p But, Al Simmions will do a good job;)

So, cheers yay.gif

@Thunnder Bunny

Yes edible plants are def. planed. But iam not sure at the moment which and how much. Too much edible stuff would make it too easy because you dont have to put much effort in gather them (beside searching them).