Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Myasishchev M-4 ("Bison")

WIP

Base Model (not much left) was free from .... somewhere on the web.

Wanted something to complement the B-52, yes I know theres more modern Eastern bombers but this model is simple'ish .... just like me biggrin_o.gif

Bison_3.jpg

Bison_4.jpg

you know,most of such Soviet Cold War bombers did never leave the ground and the rest were quite hard to control.Also it was hard to survive in those things.

I read this from a magazine.

Also one interesting fact is that some of the bombers needed more than 5 km of runway! crazy_o.gif

But i love the bomber though! biggrin_o.gif

I believe the M-4 has been mainly converted into other roles, like tankers or cargo.

Looks good. I downloaded the B-52 the other day and really like just bombing stuff with it. I'm glad you have added those contrails (?) to the Bison too. It's great seeing the B-52s fly over with the stream behind them.

The heaviest Russian/Soviet bomber i could find the other day was the IL-28 by Footmunch.

@HotShot

You seem to have missed this one: the Tu-22m3 Backfire bomber

fOOt2.jpg

Grab it here

Oh no! Not another M4! rofl.gif

I don't mind this one at all!!! biggrin_o.gif

Was the nicest big jet bomber to fly that was of somewhat original design (I think the russians have a hard time designing something original with regards to big bombers).

There's only 1 thing wrong about making contrails in OFP - they're not really contrails because they're just a series of cloudlet puffs so it really doesn't give the same feeling as seeing a real continuous contrail, no matter how fast you fly, so erm... But then again this is an old russian bomber with round wing-embedded jet engines so I think you'll get away with it... rofl.gif

its possible to do the contrails properly, but it requires a redicoulously quick loop time on the drop scripts... the faster the aircraft, the faster the script needs to loop... and once you land go slow, those nice smooth contrails will start building up and lag you to kingdom come...

aaah, good old ofp biggrin_o.gif

BUZZARD @ July 10 2006,19:13)]Was the nicest big jet bomber to fly that was of somewhat original design (I think the russians have a hard time designing something original with regards to big bombers).

I think you forgot about Tu-16/22/22M2/22M3/95...

Tu-160 realy looks like bigger B-1B, but it has better characteristics thought...

This M-4 bomber looks nice and huge smile_o.gif

Not bad for a free model really,I see your also messing with the sharp and smooth surfaces,need a bit of work on it but your getting there,and although some parts may be a bit difficult to work with,it will make a worlds difference,heres an example.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8647/apachepic0ix.jpg Photo curtousy of NodUnit,he sends me pictures and lets me test some stuff at times.

Photo curtousy of NodUnit,he sends me pictures and lets me test some stuff at times.

OT: Will need to talk to him about that.

@Gnat

Can I ask what your incentive for doing a Bison was? The model looks great but I'm curious as to what your motivation was for doing such an early cold war bomber.

BUZZARD @ July 10 2006,19:13)]Was the nicest big jet bomber to fly that was of somewhat original design (I think the russians have a hard time designing something original with regards to big bombers).

I think you forgot about Tu-16/22/22M2/22M3/95...

Tu-160 realy looks like bigger B-1B, but it has better characteristics thought...

This M-4 bomber looks nice and huge smile_o.gif

All those you mentioned except for the Tu-95 and its variants can't be called "big" bombers like what I mentioned and would be in the M-4 and Tu-160 class... which, as you agree with me, is somewhat reminiscent of the B-1B... hmmm... talking of which, I think I saw a picture of a Tu-160 somewhere ingame OFP... don't remember where though... /me also wants Su-34 which Silesian is holding hostage somewhere I guess...

I'm not too sure about that - the B-1 can carry more weapons, has much lower RCS and I believe it was designed to work at low altitutdes where it could dodge Radar. However, thats not to say that the Tu-160 is not an effective weapon, and the other Russian bombers like the Backfire and Bear are excelent too.

you should know that there was few modifications of M-4...

whole list is: M-4; 3M; 3MC; 3MD.

info what I could find till now:

Thanks Gedis, your a great source of info again thumbs-up.gif

I didn't find that info when I was searching .....

Thanks for your comments guys.

As Messiah said, the Frame Rate will suffer if I increase the "puffs" ... but thinking about it now maybe the OFP Photographers might like a "High Rate" option via a Global Variable (already have one to switch contrails off)

@Franze

I also have a Tu-95 / 140 model but the contra rotating props are a pain ..... and I generally prefer the nicer looking Bison.

@meyamoti

Yep ...... still got lots of surfaces to do smile_o.gif

[APS]Gnat,

NP! just let me know if you need something else, like info about Tu-95 and it's mods... whistle.gifwink_o.gif

just thinking gnat, you could possibly set up the contrail script to monitor the aircraft's speed... increasing the number of puffs for higher speed, and reducing them for lower speeds... it could be possible to make the time variable proportional to the speed, so it would constantly adapt to the aircraft speed...

an idea at least?

Either that or stop the contrails below a certain height ? you dont see em when the jets take of. Woah you got a tu-95? mmm thats one great lookin uber kool bomber.

Will you be releasing your updated b-52 and m-4 at the same time? and will the b-52 have the pylon mounted bombs?.... great stuff in general keep it up

Either that or stop the contrails below a certain height ? you dont see em when the jets take of.

also a very good point - thats easy enough to script, and I'd imagine Gnat's already implemented it/planning to