Sign in to follow this  
Crimson_Raptor

What do I need to Open .p3d files in GMAX?

I'm guessing that .p3d files are the actual model files themselves?  Is this assumption correct?

Opening models in GMAX would be very handy, but also 3DS Max 5 demo version which I have from the 3D Studio Max 5 for Dummies book (for some reason I can't find an all free version of 3D Studio Max, I thought there was an earlier version or 3DS Max 6 at the most).

Any help would be appreciated and you are more than welcome to email me or pm me,

Christopher

Guest RKSL-Rock

You wont be able to open p3d files in GMax. The p3d is BIS' own format (ok a variation on the standard p3d format).

You will need to convert the p3d file to .3ds (or lwo etc) format before you can edit it in GMAX.

You will need to convert the p3d file to .3ds (or lwo etc) format before you can edit it in GMAX.

Where would I find a convertor to do that? Do you happen to know of or have link to a safe download location for it? Preferably one that is not peer 2 peer and is virus infested tounge2.gif

theres a tool called p2ms which you can get models out of o2 and into 3d max

have a poke around these forums in o2 sections and you should find it

..seems to remember it needing 2 progs actually

p2ms to get it into lithunwrap then save as .3ds from there

so search for those 2

exactly what "where's my rabbit" explained...p2ms and lithunwrap.

i'm not sure what's gmax contra, but i think u cant save anything with it right?