Sign in to follow this  
zulu1

Flawed Addons

I just keep wondering why there are so many addons released that have basic errors. Such as too many mags, wrong weapon or mags in the soldier loadout lines, bad *.paa's for pics in editor. Also using the same name for pbo's already used by others.   huh.gif

It was quite a while before I learned how pbo's worked and got the utilities to unpack and repack them. Since then I can't say how many addons I've fixed or improved. I just recently took all of the Neoko2000 snipers and bundled them so they would all be available to use from one pbo.

I guess I'm just bugged that some things are so obvious and easy to fix.

Addon makers are sometimes rushed, lazy, pressured, can't find the correct info/pictures/textures/llamas or any combination of the former. You didn't need to make a new thread to realise that.

Instead of a thread, what you "could" have done was pm/email the makers of the addon in question with your concerns and help them to solve said issues.

If its an older one and you've fixed it yourself...well then there's no real problem anymore.

EDIT: Addons have bugs for whatever the reasons...it's what you do with your free time to help out that makes the difference.

I think that this thread has some real promise. Think about it. This can be a thread where people list addons that have bugs and then addon makers with 5 mins on their hands can pick the addon and fix it. That is provided that the addon is a nightmare waiting to happen. What do you think?

I know straight away one thing that you'll bring up. Permissions. I don't mind doing the legwork there and chasing down authors.

Another thing. How many of you addon makers would actually be interested in this idea? There's no point suggesting things if every addon makers says they're too busy.

Being optimistic, I have a few of suggestions right away.

Bulletproof trees in the SebNamPack 2

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=2012

The ToW Choctaw has an error message every time you start.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=6762

Pt76 in this pack has an error message if you walk along it's side.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=7574

Well you shouldn't forget the fact that every single addon

maker for OFP is doing this in his free time for free.

Sometimes ppl having BIG ideas but not enough time left

at the end to finalize it (also sometimes the last know how

is missing to make it bug free).

But others want to play with those unfinished toys already,

just to be able placing it in editor and make some screenshots

to become famous in OFP general topic biggrin_o.gif

Sometimes addon makers give up due to several reasons,

but want at least give the comunity what they have already

done.

Another 'sometimes' they getting stuck in engine limitations -

great ideas ending in impossibility 'cause it just doesn't work

like it should - no way to solve - no clue why - it should work

but it doesn't. huh.gif

I could tell you 1000 more reasons (if i only knew some tounge2.gif ) j/k

Most important imho is: nobody gets paid for that work thus

nobody can complain anything - if one don't like an addon - don't dl/use it - or like being mentioned above - give the

addon maker a helping hand but do it the right way - not just

improve and release (maybe he has already planned to do

that).

~S~ CD

That's why I said about permissions. Remember some addon awill be so old the author has vanished. Some not most.

Another thing. How many of you addon makers would actually be interested in this idea? There's no point suggesting things if every addon makers says they're too busy.

of this thread, not really personaly. We in SFP has a bug and suggestions forum already were people post and we try to fix asap and release the fix next week.

For most time I would say, "there is no excuse", like when people release one weapon or such, but as the project grows its easy that something slips your hands.

For sfp we have almost 20 versions of one riffle, and we are 4 people working almost every week. Its very easy for inventory pictures to change path, name without the coding changing and when you doing addons you not so busy playing, so you dont "spot" it so easy.

I personaly have some "checklists", for weapons, fire, check inv picture, drop magazine and so on. For vehicles, test lights, fire lod.

My "advice" for you, dont comment on stuff that has been made and has flaws unless the team/guy is planing fixing it.