Sign in to follow this  
Nightjay0044

OFP History?

Hi all, I know anyone who reads this alread has thoughts going through there head.

The more in depth meaning to my question is, when did BIS orginally originate the idea for Operation Flashpoint. I'm not talking about it's first release to the public, I'm asking about way before that, I mean who got the idea, oh, maybe we should generate "this" into a game..

Does everybody catch where I'm coming from?

So basically when did it all start?

Where can I learn about BIS history?

Is BIS history locked in a vault prohibited?

Those are a few basic questions..Thanks..

biggrin_o.gif

Did it cross your mind that you might be able to find this information by poking around on the bistudio.com homepage for about 2 minutes?

xmas_o.gif

BlackDog~

lol, yeah it crossed my mind after I posted it. But I think what I'm thinking about is a way more detailed coverage.

I'm looking for something more. I mean yeah those years and breif descriptions are great. I guess I'm kind of looking for more info. I could try and do some research...

Do you know what I mean?

Anybody know the exact day it was released in Europe and US? The BIS site just says "June 2001" and "September 2001"

Guest Ti0n3r

That would be the 22nd of June 2001.

That would be the 22nd of June 2001.

The 60th Anniversary of Operation Barbarossa.

The German war with Russia lasted four years.  OFP has lasted longer, and is slightly more fun.

Have you tried Googling?  It produces all kinds of interesting results (granted, some Elite info) when you type in "Operation Flashpoint history".

I think theres stuff in the General section of OFP, all sorts of early screenshots and previews dating back as far as '98. Wasnt released till 2001 though. Mmm....sounds like a certain sequel Ive heard of *coughs*ArmA banghead.gif

@harley 3 1185~

Hey, no I haven't tried google yet. Which I'm doing now and see what I'll find. (if your question is refered to me?)

Also are we all going to celebrate with OFP's 5 year anniversary this June? Hmmmm..

Just to establish this again, yes I did check out BIS home page and got info on their breif history very breif I might add. I want to search for more in detail information for my kind of style of learning, such as articles or in depth discussions like that.

A few questions that I'm looking for are as followed:

1) Since Marek Spanel was the creator of OFP dated way back, I mean how did he come up with all the ideas to have for things such as mission editing, single player missions, campaigns, addons, scripting and so on?

I'm talking about maybe if there are any of those kind of thoughts or articles out there somewhere on the net that I could read, in which that would be interesting.

Some more of my thoughts for you...thank you all.