Sign in to follow this  
Death006

Should I mod OFP?

I was thinking if I should play the game original, as it was intended, or if I should mod the game a bit. I tried FFUR and thought it was pretty good, but there is no grass! Thats one thing I don't like; there is no grass in OFP. I know there is unwar's grass addon, but that seemed pretty complicated to install. Another thing, in the past, mods have been generally unstable and made my game experiance more of a hassle. I know for a fact that OFP tends to crash a good deal normally. Adding FFUR doesnt hurt too much; generally I have only had a few shutdowns, but never in the middle of gameplay, mostly just starting up a mission. Also, my PC has a hew minor hiccups, mostly just framrate issues, with OFP, but here are my stats...

2.4GHZ processor I think it only has a 400mhz FSB, could this be a source of my problems?

radeon 9700 pro graphics card.

1 gig o' ram

I have 17 gigs of free space on my 80 gig hard drive.

FFUR was great, but it just didn't feel natural, maybe if there were grass, it might seem to go together. At this point, I either want to play vanilla OFP or an ultra modded graphics gourmet. confused_o.gif

I have played OFP a great deal before, and have beaten the CWC and Resistance campaigns. I am still looking for the right blend of mods though, So in the meantime, I've resorted to vanilla OFP. help.gif

If your computer can handle it (i'm not too good with computers, but I know you've got a better graphics card than me offhand), I would mod OFP. There are so many great addons and mod out there that vastly improve OFP, with both graphics and effects. Plus there are loads of quality missions out there that require mods. I've never had many problems with mods when it comes to instability. It depends weither your comp can run it without huge amounts of lag.

Personally, I would like more grass in OFP aswell, and I also have had trouble installing and using the unwar grass addon. But more and more user islands are startig to include grass, so there should be more soon wink_o.gif

I don't know weither you've seen this thread, but it may help

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=44390

Try Y2K3 mod.. It seems more like the original OFP, but more modern.. FFUR changed the feel of the game for me..

It's a big download, but IMHO totaly worth it.. Alternativly, try FDF, changes the game a bit more, sticks closer to OFP in the UI etc, but adds a lot of good features.. Used it a lot as well (Probably more than Y2K3, since I've only heavily used it since the 7.3 version came out, which had leaning etc)

- Ben

Personally I think you should play the game without any mods first time around. Only that way can you truly appreciate what massive improvements ModMakers have made

Guest Ti0n3r

You should try out the FDF mod. IMO the best mod around. Lots of high quality addons and some realism enhancements. It comes with a great campaign too. (The best custom campaign for Ofp IMO). And there's 500+ multiplayer missions avalibale.

OFP was released 5 years ago so don't expect smooth gameplay when you have grass in it. =)

If you want to enjoy OFP more, you should definitly mod it. There are so many things released to improve the graphics and gameplay of OFP. I really can't imagine playing without mods. I won't give examples because I have to put up links to where you can download them. I just can say visit

The Operation Flashpoint site

Greetz

Rotten

ps. and dont forget to read these forums good thumbs-up.gif

I just downloaded the wargames mod wgl@5 (or something similar)

Will this let me play the CWC campaign with wargames features?

Also, I downloaded the DMA stuff (models, anims) as well as the WGL terrain packs.

But, when I installed Wargames, there is no shortcut, so I went on the website, got their instructions for making a link, but it doesnt work! It keeps saying that the target is not valid! What exact text is supposed to be there, quotations and all, basically I want someone with the mod to copy and past their target box text. I've tried it over and over with no luck! help.gif

depends on your OS - try:

D:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\flashpointresistance.exe -nosplash -nomap -mod=@wgl5

"D:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash -nomap -mod=@wgl5

or

"D:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash -nomap -mod=@wgl5"

or use a program to handle mod folders

~ OFP Mod Selector

~ ofp watch

~ OFP Launcher - by Kegetys

you wont have WGL features by playing plain ofp missions with BIS units. check the WGL wiki page again for mission and campaign conversions wink_o.gif

I'm using XP home edition. My Flashpoint folder is in C:/program files/codemasters/operationflashpoint/resistance.exe, with resistance .exe capitolized and the whole thing surrounded by qoutation marks. I've tried all of those, and tried them again once you posted them. I may try the programs though. BTW I downloaded the 1985 CWC campiagn conversion.

I strongly recommend FDF mod. It has lots of good soldiers, tanks,apc`s and objects. also there is a good GUI and effects are super!

If you like ww2 then i recommend the Liberation mod, because of the tanks and lots of features you can't find in other mods. You're gonna have to hunt for missions though.

But if you want a really good ww2 mod then combine it with the FDF mod ww2 landscapes and objects (well it's not too hard to put some scenarios together the editor is horribly easy to use).

Oh yea and get John's improved fire and smoke effects if you play libmod, they might look strange elsewhere but in libmod i really like them.

There are so many great mods out there though it's impossible to name them all.

in FDF johns fire and smoke effects look just right and look in place but most other mods it just looks a little strange.

I woldnt mod ofp too much as ofp was made a long time a go and the engine wasnt built to withhand all that mod makers try to get out of it thets why you often get a lot of lag using mods and get CTD's cause the engine just cant put up with it.

I would download FFUR 06, DXDLL, FDF(downst replace units its an addon pack) aswell as ECP and DMA army pack oh and a sky pack and good terrain replacements such as WGL's in my opinion are the best.

Personally I think you should play the game without any mods first time around. Only that way can you truly appreciate what massive improvements ModMakers have made

I think if you have a slower computer, you should stay with the standard flashpoint units. This way you can still use large numbers of soldiers with a moderate viewdistance.

For the grapics part, I don't think that the standart grapics are that bad. Nogova on medium looks still very nice smile_o.gif

I noticed that if you want to make a simple mission, and you have all kinds of addons... It wil take a LOT longer. You wil have to seek longer for a specific unit, tank etc...

Anyway... Mods are great, certainly mods like FDF, but you'll need a fast computer for mods like FFUR.

rofl.gifgoodnight.gif

Personally I think you  should play the game without any mods first time around. Only that way can you truly appreciate what massive improvements ModMakers have made

I think if you have a slower computer, you should stay with the standard flashpoint units. This way you can still use large numbers of soldiers with a moderate viewdistance.

For the grapics part, I don't think that the standart grapics are that bad. Nogova on medium looks still very nice smile_o.gif

I noticed that if you want to make a simple mission, and you have all kinds of addons... It wil take a LOT longer. You wil have to seek longer for a specific unit, tank etc...

Anyway... Mods are great, certainly mods like FDF, but you'll need a fast computer for mods like FFUR.

rofl.gif  goodnight.gif

most of the mod above is not really CPU eating at all, i am using a AMD 2500+ w/o OC and a 1 GB ram and they run quite smooth(wgl however do eat some cpu power if you use their map, single tree all over the island)