Sign in to follow this  
XCess

EDF: Invasion

Hidie ho!

Just finished playing 'Invasion' v1.01 as the link for 2.2b is down atm.

Its a good mission; not too easy and not too hard to complete. Im not sure if all the enemy units should have HD mags though as it makes the mission a little too easy but thats just my opinion. Going to d/l 2.2b as soon as the link is up again.

Once again this is a good mission and I personally cannot wait for more missions (and hopefully a campaign) using the EDF.

Keep you the good work, regards, The Biscuit thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the comments Biscuit biggrin_o.gif Download on xcessofp.tk seems to be working right now.

Cameron... where'd you go? confused_o.gif

Hi, just fast report about some... not features wink_o.gif

1. Heli over town which we are attacking. It is cycling over and over over town. And do nothing. When we finished enemies, I just took a good place and after two heli's cycles it went down. Why? Is there any reason to risk heli after friendly units are defeated in the area?

2. When we moved out by truck, Spetznaz member set satchel charge... and after a while it exploded. But our truck for some reason did not move in this cutscene, so was not destroyed. And as some trigger was waiting until it will be destroyed, everything freezed. I mean not OFP, just nothing happend.

3. This is about units maybe. For some reason I had to heal myself three times and then at last I was healed. Strange.

4. Almost no one has facetex compatible custom texture. So one have no face but... something (texture for bis head models not match llauma head). Maybe you should set a face for main character.

5. Well, I was really supprised that few guys from EDF was so 'rambo liked'. BMP's, tanks, a lot of infrantry squads. And we moved on, destroyed everything and smiled smile_o.gif Well, is this some propaganda mission? wink_o.gif I understood when I run out of ammo. Enemy has HD ammo smile_o.gif And probably some very low skill comparing to high EDF skill. And maybe EDF addons are a little overpowered? Don't know, but after a while, when I stopped to be afraid really (I am cheating in SP usually and save a lot, but in this mission... I did not die once) it started to be very very strange to all games I played in OFP. This is not bug, but... well... for me something new.

I will play this mission once again probably, to check what would happend if game would not freeze.

Regards.

1- I use setfuel 0 when u get into Morton. will change this

2- This was reported in v1.21b and I thought it was fixed.. strange

3- No idea abou the healing

4- Not sure how to set face tetures on Llauma heads, and the messed up head is supposedly an addon bug..

5- This mission has a completely different design style to most missions. It is designed to be a pure, intense action, with the air almost constantly filled with bullets. I wanted to do something different with OFP wink_o.gif

Invasion part 2 will be a change of pace though.

Booyakasha!

28/4/06 - 2000hrs.

CAMERONMCDONALD BETA TEST INC.

*EDF INVASION v1.22B*

BY XCESS

SYSTEM TESTED ON:

3.94GHz P4 (6880 OFP Benchmark).

2048MB DDR2-533 RAM.

256MB ASUS GeForce 6800GTO (overclocked to God-Knows-What), FWU 84.46 (ForceWareUltra) Drivers.

Soundblaster Audigy Z2 w. 5.1 speaker setup.

OFP SETTINGS:

DXDLL (Set for best picture quality, reflections on, etc etc.)

ECP 1.085e

CAM DSAI Extension V1.1

Material Properties Addon

SnakeDude Texture Replacement Pack

WGL Nature Replacement Pack

Berghoff N2 v2.00

INGAME SETTINGS:

Veteran Mode - All options disabled except crosshair and Super AI.

2070m Visual Distance

Visual quality to full

Frame rate to full.

1280 x 1024 x 32 Resolution.

.005 LODS on objects + shadows.

BETA TEST BEGINS

-- SPOILERS BELOW --

- Overview:

Looking good, mate. Nice picture, nice layout, a daring question to egg the player on - 'nuff said!

- Intro:

That first camera flying thing needs to be worked on, XCess - it's a nice effect and all, but shouldn't it be showing off more than just trees, forests and the ocean? Have it flying above towns, maybe the airport, through a forest or two, you know what I mean. Also, please lift the camera off the ground - it really detracts from the quality of your scripting when a small corner of the screen is underground.

The combat is much better now, however, since the music stops around halfway through, it might be wise to fade in a suitable, sad OFP track while the camera is focused upon the bodies. I recommend Amen or Organ Works (custom music would be much better, of course!wink_o.gif

Sometimes, when the truck is destroyed, ECP spawns a crater, and the camera clips right through it. Lift the camera up one or two metres when looking at the destroyed truck.

You don't get "off of" anything! You get OFF an island.

A better effort than last time, much more interesting. Good job!

- Briefing:

Noticed a few mistakes here, XCess - I've fixed the briefing (don't worry, I got a VHA10 in English biggrin_o.gif ) and will send it back to you - check your PM.

- Mission:

Good ole beach landing begins. I notice my player's face is FUBAR'd, while everyone else's is fine (I advise you start the player out of the boat at the start of the mission, and then run a script to put them back in the boat when their faces have fixed - it's a Llauma limitation more than anything). Radio messages run well; *cough* voice actors *cough*.

We land, mortars go off, plenty of bang and boom. Only one squad member goes down, we soon lose a second to the enfilading fire of the Russian mechanised infantry. Thankfully, the BMP karks it early - kudos to one of my squad's LAW men. I pick off about 5 or so Ruskies having trouble seeing me in the shadows on the western flank. Point reports the area is clear - I head off and grab a non-HD AK74/GP30 with plenty of ammo, and a RPG7 with one PG7 loaded. Excellent mission, insofar, mate!

My squad reaches the nice Berghoff forest, where we're immediately pinned down by around 15 or so Russians infiltrating the woods. I set up shop at the knoll and start dropping VOG30 grenades down between the trees. Sadly, my heroics are to no avail, my squad karks it after a long firefight, and overwhelming forces cause me to retreat. I squandered my PG7 on a long shot at the Ural - I heard the PG explode, but didn't see it cause any damage. On my way back, I call for Alpha to back me up, but - sadly, they are too late to rescue Bravo.

So, once again, I fall back onto the old OFP-veteran's-tried-and-true-formula-for-success = BEACH CRAWLING. After grabbing some AP OG7s from a crumpled Russian grenadier at the landing site, I 4x my way along the beach to Morton (noting the player's excellent comment to himself - nice job, man), pop up near the Morton Barracks, take aim, and let fly - twice, destroying all three trucks (luckily - phew!wink_o.gif. I immediately start 4xing along the beach again, when a Russian rifleman starts throwing lead all over the place at me. I wheel and put him down for good, thanking the Lord I grabbed some non-HD ammo.

Invasion1.jpg

Invasion2.jpg

At this time, some damn heavy shooting starts up near the forest: Alpha has arrived. All I can hear is an M60 working the woods, with the occasional Russian scream on the other end. Encouraged, I crawl east back into the forest, where I am greeted with the happy CAM ECP DSAI Extension v1.1 shout "You hear something? Hey!" I smile. It turns out Alpha has dug in next to a couple of trees and flttened the Russian detachment guarding the valley, losing only 2 men in the process. Breaking out the Everon Ale, I give everyone a pat on the back, we jump into the PV3S and head on off into the... sunrise?

- Outro:

Outro is good, I like it. Only a couple of gripes:

Either the officer speaks very poor English, or his grammar is terrible! It should be "Take them away for interrogation."

Please use playmove when the Spetsnaz places the bomb. It would look sooooooo much better than switchmove (which makes him look like he's suddenly remembered he should be placing an explosive, rather than looking along the road like an idiot).

COMMENTS:

Solid mate, very nice. I'd throw this a 7 if I worked at OFPEC - difficult enough to keep a veteran player interested, but easy enough to accomplish. Good, flexible mechanics with AI and enemy.

ADVICE:

- See the intro section for the advice there.

- Put the Russian tanks on search and destroy - I took around 20 minutes to finish the mission, and they didn't bother me once. Have them searching for further EDF infiltrators - keeps the player on his/her toes. Good job including them, though. I was scared... for a millisecond or two!

- I'll PM you a link to the briefing, I've fixed it up and hosted it. Rest assured, I'm the BOMB at English (anyone else here get an OP1? No?)

- I like how the enemy has HD weapons - it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay more realistic than any other alternative. Imagine: you're sweating, afraid, your hands are shaking with the adrenaline rush of combat - can you pick off a target 200m away with one burst - not likely!

- Notice how my pointers are getting less and less each time? I'm looking forward to getting this out on the open market (with custom voices, of course!wink_o.gif. Before you DO release the final version, however, I want to pick through your cutRSCs and group/side/radio chat to check your spelling - is this OK?

- Until next time, keep editing!

BETA TEST ENDS

About faces

Unpack facetex. Check its script. You will see how to do it correctly. There is issue with loosing texture after getting in / getting out of vehicle. Anything more is just a facetex name's for textures. It is very easy.

About HDD.

This is standard for my coop group that enemy has HD ammo. But XCess had to do something more then that, as our coops are not so pieces of cakes as this mission. I do not say it is bad. Just less my style (closer to FarCry I think).

Did you use some kind of dispersion script for player and his mates? We use it with dynamic variable, which depends on skill and professionalism of military unit of player character.

Bug with satchels.

I downloaded mission yesterday from bottom of your home page. And I checked readme, it is 1.22B

Anyway, it is nice mission. And great idea is to play it with ECP. Yesterday first time I had such situation. I took RPG on beach, so I left soma M16 mags. When I went low with ammo, I decided to get back for those mags (no HD there, so much better choice). With empty gun I run about 8 hundreds meteres and when I was very very close to my mags... someone run out from wood and it was Russian! I thought, this is the end, why oh why I went back for ammo. I get down, took grenade and throw it, but I was so nervouse that I missed. I was waiting for the final head shot, as I was about 15 meters from enemy and... He stood and took hands up . I did not belive my luck smile_o.gif

First time I playe ECP someone surrender to me :P And in such situation. It was like some real war story. I took mags, destroyed his weapons and interrogate him few times. He broke. And what happened then I will not tell. I do not want to go to some interantional prison wink_o.gif

Thankyou both for your comments smile_o.gif

Cameron, the wait was definately worth it biggrin_o.gif I will take into account all of these suggestions. Rather than put the tank on search and destroy however I'm going to lessen the time it waits at figari or whever.

I'm sorry Shinbusan, I think I'm going to keep the HD mags the way they are.. They just add so much mor eatmosphere to ther mission than standard mags, and I wanted Invasion pt1 to have some very intense fighting.. and it does.

About the faces, I will unPBO facetex and check it out, I will also try a moveincargo script if that doesn't work.

@Cameron

The first camera scene is suposed to show a car leaving Morton, however, it relies on object numbers, so using Berghoff's Everon will probably cause conflicts ewith this.

I will probably insert a gamLogic at the position of the tree in the next version to ensure cross-compatibility with modded islands.

Did the truck move to the bomb and get destroyed for you?

I left that get off of thing in there still?? I'm sure I took it out....

Will move the camera up (truck/crater), I've noticed before bvut I guess i was too lazt to fix tounge2.gif

The Russian officer has been fixed... and... wait for it.... has a Russian voice acting him! In Russian! Still need more voice actors however.

Cameron.. my PM is empty confused_o.gif and I see no problem you going through my titleRsc

Will also take note of any other things I've missed, I've only just got up...

Hahah - soz bout the PM, mate. I'm getting there. Russian voice acting - wonderful effort!

The truck blew up good - except, were there meant to be two explosions? I got a handgrenade disabling the truck, then the satchel went off around 5 seconds later. Dunno if you meant it this way, but it looked clever.

Looking forward to next version.

Yep there were meant to be two explosions smile_o.gif I think I'm going to have a eastList to delete units before the spetz natz and officer just to make sure all goes smoothly anyway... all i can think is soemthing was blocking the way for Shinbusan's truck.

I used newest Berghoff islands... maybe this was a reason. So no mission issue.

Is this a single mission or a campaign? I havnt downloaded or tried it yet, though im sure i'll find out in the read me or whatnot. smile_o.gif

EDF INVASION

RELEASE CANDIDATE ONE

BY XCESS

Download: here

Now has voice.

All known bugs fixed.

Thanks to Cameron McDonald for helping with a little sound problem  smile_o.gif

Voices acted by Diversant92

downloading now. This has been a fun cool mission

Thanks Imutep, updated site with mirror smile_o.gif

Looking foward to feedback.

very nice little mission XCess. Its nice to see a good addon get some notice in a mission....

Well, hopefully I can start working properly on Invasion Part 2 v soon smile_o.gif Just hope I don't get as manytin bugs IP1