Sign in to follow this  
chris330

Stealth Play

ghost recon had a good method to create stealth against AI. if you hug thick bushes (large or small) so that you're basically concealed within it, then the AI cant spot you until their within several metres of you.

this enables a player to move from cover to cover to a target without giving away his position. if the Devs could add some sort of invisibility factor to certain bushes/objects when a player is next to them, or even long grass, then it would create the stealth you're looking for.

to say that stealth isnt part of OFP is rubbish - if this is supposed to be the best MilSim to date, then stealth does have a role in Military Ops.

Bushes do give concealment in OFP. Although the code really need a polish because it doesn't always work as you'd want it to work.

Oh, all the times I've been shot through a bush. It almost makes me want to cry. tounge2.gif

a soldier infiltrating a village unarmed?  thats a bit of a stretch.

carrying a silenced cqb weapon...npz.

how 'bout infiltrating carrying a sd-mp5 and some demo charges to destroy a comm station or ammo supplies dump using long grass, bushes, boxes, etc to penetrate.

some tangoes, armoured support are present and will kill on sight.  the rest of your team is hidden in the nearby hill ready to engage if necessary.

now you're talking.

I like it biggrin_o.gif That could be done easy though. I'm thinking of trying to recreate the Thief atmosphere for Thief and Deus Ex fans. Just pottering about innocently whilst secretly gathering information is a real thrill once you've learned to enjoy it.

Obviously there would have to be the ever present threat of dire consequences if the player screwed up biggrin_o.gif

ghost recon had a good method to create stealth against AI. if you hug thick bushes (large or small) so that you're basically concealed within it, then the AI cant spot you until their within several metres of you.

this enables a player to move from cover to cover to a target without giving away his position. if the Devs could add some sort of invisibility factor to certain bushes/objects when a player is next to them, or even long grass, then it would create the stealth you're looking for.

to say that stealth isnt part of OFP is rubbish - if this is supposed to be the best MilSim to date, then stealth does have a role in Military Ops.

Bushes do give concealment in OFP. Although the code really need a polish because it doesn't always work as you'd want it to work.

Oh, all the times I've been shot through a bush. It almost makes me want to cry. tounge2.gif

lol ive read the diary from the flashpoint campaign, and there was mentioned "blah blah bushes gives you visual cover but doesnt protect against bullets"

so i mean when the ai sees you taking cover behind a bush they will shoot at that bush

Dear Chris330!

I think your idea about the stealth is very good, I've been thinking about such things in the last few days.

How would it look if highly trained soldiers in the game should have more enhanced capabilities? for example snipers should have camo nets, which makes them almost invisible, or spec ops guys could eliminate enemies with knifes or with their bare hands/legs smile_o.gif

Or to go furthermore, if they could climb over lower walls or slide on wires between two buildings-remember Project IGI?

just like in it or in splinter cell as you said it before.

A specop guy does not differ from a simple grunt only in that he's wielding mp5sd and satchel charge and black uniform.They are trained in many-many things and know way much more than a weekend warrior from the national guard. I think these units should have much more possibilities.

there should also be some panick effect for lower level AI soldiers, and I don't just mean allowfleeing, but if they panick, they start firing all around without targeting anything-for example when you blow something up in a base in the night and the enemy don' have an idea what's happened ,they run out of their barracks start shooting everywhere they see and you can slip away in the chaos....maybe dressed as an enemy officer biggrin_o.gif

anyway I'm afraid things will be pretty the same as in ofp, maybe some new moves and , no doubt , better look, but these things will be wait for our well respected addon makers.

I'm not trying to blame the guys at bohemia, but if they put only the half of the ideas in the game we have, then ArmA would not be published until 2030, and I'm sure they doing the best they can to make a great milsim for us.

I think your idea about the stealth is very good, I've been thinking about such things in the last few days.

How would it look if highly trained soldiers in the game should have more enhanced capabilities? for example snipers should have camo nets, which makes them almost invisible, or spec ops guys could eliminate enemies with knifes or with their bare hands/legs smile_o.gif

Already in/possible, although the knife part is highly unpractical... wink_o.gif

I think being able to go behind someone and either knife or snap em would be pretty cool as seen in MGS and Conflict global terror, however it only goes too far when we have to change our camo in order to blend in, also i wouldnt really like the idea of having "alert bars" as such, my 2cents wink_o.gif

I think being able to go behind someone and either knife or snap em would be pretty cool as seen in MGS and Conflict global terror, however it only goes too far when we have to change our camo in order to blend in, also i wouldnt really like the idea of having "alert bars" as such, my 2cents wink_o.gif

not real tactics to 'snap" someone

i can see knifing from behind used by the seals/night ops if they're included in the game.

but silenced pistol generally feels better

Glad to see someone else feels the same way smile_o.gif

A specop guy does not differ from a simple grunt only in that he's wielding mp5sd and satchel charge and black uniform.

Couldn't agree more.

There should also be some panick effect for lower level AI soldiers, and I don't just mean allowfleeing, but if they panick, they start firing all around without targeting anything-for example when you blow something up in a base in the night and the enemy don't have an idea what's happened ,they run out of  their barracks start shooting everywhere they see and you can slip away in the chaos....maybe dressed as an enemy officer biggrin_o.gif

A superb idea, exactly along the lines I am thinking. Very realistic and not hard to script. I have already seen that someone has built a 'fire at a point' script for AI soldiers.

An excellent comparison to the situation you describe and proof of how good this would look is the scene during Full Metal Jacket when the VietCong mount an offensive on the US Marines base during the Vietnamese national holiday offensive. Real firefights involve a hell of alot more ammo flying through the air than you generally see in Flashpoint, and most of it is due to panic of in-experienced soldiers - is it possible ever to become experienced enough, not to shoot wildly when your life is under threat?

Anyway I'm afraid things will be pretty the same as in ofp, maybe some new moves and , no doubt , better look, but these things will be wait for our well respected addon makers.

And there are plenty of them, and they're always up for a good scrap with some difficult code biggrin_o.gif

I'm not trying to blame the guys at bohemia, but if they put only the half of the ideas in the game we have, then ArmA would not be published until 2030, and I'm sure they doing the best they can to make a great milsim for us.

Well said thumbs-up.gif

Agreed - its poss to go way overboard in trying to incorporate all these stealth ideas.

For example, if you introduced a Spec Ops/Forces skin/kits into the game - then wouldnt everyone want to assume that role. In MP combat, everyone would be Special Forces....gay.

I still like the idea that at the end of the day we are general army, not elite ghosts, or Seals, etc.

Also, changing uniformsto loo like the enemy...prolly too much of a stretch for ArmA.

For me, stealth should be the ablity to move from cover to cover, bush to bush, through long grass, and remain unseen.

'nuff said.

For me, stealth should be the ablity to move from cover to cover, bush to bush, through long grass, and remain unseen.

'nuff said.

The you have yet to experience the delight of creeping up on a bad guy using shadows biggrin_o.gif Even if I only do it for use on my own computer, I'm going to try and find a way.

'nuff said.

The you have yet to experience the delight of creeping up on a bad guy using shadows biggrin_o.gif Even if I only do it for use on my own computer, I'm going to try and find a way.

good luck attempting that with tracers flying all around you and trying to direct your squad tounge2.gif

oh and yes i have experienced that...in splinter cell 3 which is an nsa spy. this game isn't about spies...it's about the average soldier

good luck attempting that with tracers flying all around you and trying to direct your squad  tounge2.gif

oh and yes i have experienced that...in splinter cell 3 which is an nsa spy.  this game isn't about spies...it's about the average soldier

Thanks for sharing that with us smile_o.gif

Hi Folks!

I have to agree with thrust 213, I think that is one why we love OFP that we're not playing the best-of-thebest hypersoldiers, just playing in the boots of an everyday grunt-who can become the best of the best under our controll biggrin_o.gif anyway I think splinter cell is a bad example Project IGI would be a better one-just like ofp, it is mainly played on very big open areas, and you can climb over fences, slide on wires between two buildings, and so on. I know we don't have Sam Fisher , but we have James Gastovski biggrin_o.gif .

Do you remember the mission in cwc, when you had to sneak into Guba's hq to steal intel about scuds? you had two options:try to sneak in on the main entrance, or blow the fence just to alert the whole Russian army to your presence...

What could be the outcome if you simply and elegantly climb over the fence... smile_o.gif

not very real tho too climb a 10 foot fence fully kitted up

maybe a cutting tool?

not very real tho too climb a 10 foot fence fully kitted up

maybe a cutting tool?

Very possible, at least when there are no enemies around, i wont advise you to do that when they are shooting at you tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

it seems to be a more realistic way cut a hole and crawl through it . in the same way u recive medical treatment from medi tents in ofp {hold down heal button} /{cut fence}

and id hope you would wait untill your not under attack

hehehe banghead.gif

There would be absolutely no problem with playing as special forces with heightened abilities in Armed Assault. If you think that being special forces automatically means flitting through shadows and exterminating a whole base with just your knife, then you'd be wrong.

In reality it's more along the lines of parachuting into enemy territory and destroying a scud missle launcher. Or parachuting into the surf and swimming ashore under cover of darkness to 'paint' a site for airstrike.

An SAS or Delta Force soldier, is just a soldier with broad training to a very high standard, and missions to take advantage of these skills.

It's completely possible that playing certain missions of special forces would work great in Armed Assault. Things like fitness, shooting accuracy and advanced tactics could set regular soldiers apart from special forces.

As for 'everyone would go special forces in multiplayer if they were included'. Just think about that for a moment. A lot of people would have an Abrams tank included in their kit in multiplayer wouldnt they, if they could?

The multiplayer missions arn't going to be like counterstrike, there will be limitations due to balancing. Just as you might not be able to go as a killing machine special forces soldier in a multiplayer mission, you probably can't use that stealth bomber equiped with tactical nukes this time.

Things like fitness, shooting accuracy and advanced tactics could set regular soldiers apart from special forces.

Tried the skill slider? It changes the shooting accuracy and advanced tactics, not sure about the fitness wink_o.gif

Things like fitness, shooting accuracy and advanced tactics could set regular soldiers apart from special forces.

Tried the skill slider? It changes the shooting accuracy and advanced tactics, not sure about the fitness wink_o.gif

Eh?

I mean that if you play a mission as a 'special forces' unit, you should automatically be able to run further, faster and shoot better. It doesn't make any sense in OFP that a guy fresh out of boot camp is identical to a spec ops man, except for attire and equipment.

Tried the skill slider? It changes the shooting accuracy and advanced tactics, not sure about the fitness  wink_o.gif

Eh?

I mean that if you play a mission as a 'special forces' unit, you should automatically be able to run further, faster and shoot better. It doesn't make any sense in OFP that a guy fresh out of boot camp is identical to a spec ops man, except for attire and equipment.

Guess we would be wandering into the domain of roleplaying rather than tactical simulations then.. yay.gif

Guess we would be wandering into the domain of roleplaying rather than tactical simulations then.. yay.gif

Well no, Im simply stating the glaringly obvious fact that an elite soldier is going to shoot better and have a highly noticeable level of fitness compared to a recruit. No skill or stat advancement neccessary. As sure as a jeep should not be identical to a tank, a special forces man should not be identical to a recruit. Difference in equipment is not enough to set them apart.

When I've finished making a private MOD for me and my pal I'll probably make a mission that is more stealth/adventure based than military based. I'll post it up somewhere (a couple of years off yet) and see what people think.

In the meantime I would agree it is best to stick to conventional type missions and upgrades smile_o.gif

I don't understad you ppl...you're arguing about the swithing characters, and consider it to be highly unrealistic, while in the same time you want arma to become splinter cell...

I didn't read the whole topic, and this post isn't adressed to a particular person, but it's a kind of divergence, doesn't it?

while in the same time you want arma to become splinter cell...

I didn't read the whole topic,

You should have, because 99.3% of us dont want it to look like splinter cell smile_o.gif

Well, you're right, sorry...nevertheless making arma more 'stealth' doesn't sound good to me, because there are other things that should be done already, and we even don't know if they are being done or not...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of decent spec op stuff in game2, maybe even in arma, but it's based rather on AI and the environment such as more detailed towns, enterable buildings where you can hide yourself ect(if you want to hide in a bush or lie down covered by the grass, well, you need grass firs). Sure some skills like leanning and clibming would be great, but sneaking with knife is, well too much splintercell-ish to me. Besides, It`s hard not to notice/hear somebody even if he`s in the shadow, or sneak someone so close to be able to use knife. Have you ever tried to do that irl?

My suggestions are: signals and AI knowing how to deal with cqb, and well, more detailed environment for cqb would be needed.