Sign in to follow this  
j w

Budget computer

For a bit more (25$ ) you might be able to find a GeForce 6600, well, some dutch internetshops do, if you can find aswell in a shop, just turn of the heat and dont eat the next few days and you can afford it! tounge2.gif  wink_o.gif

Yes, I will take that in consideration...

No seriously, I can probably squeeze that in my budget... smile_o.gif

Just don't buy GF FX 5200 crazy_o.gif

Damn, that is one crappy card sad_o.gif

Heh, i had to buy one when my old Geforce 2 broke and i had no money, it is VERY overclockable though...  wink_o.gif

EDIT: J W, i should check the prices at your local shop before you starve... wink_o.gif

Well, either I buy a more expensive card (and another 512MB ram) and wait a bit longer to buy a flat screen...

flat screens are over-rated tounge2.gif

Don't like flat screens...I like fat screens...

Don't like flat screens...

Me neither, it looks really crappy compared to an old CRT monitor  thumbs-up.gif

(well, the image itself, right now i use a 10 year old crt thing, 17" but its HUGE, if this table was smaller i had to use a flatty! rofl.gif )

Me neither, it looks really crappy compared to an old CRT monitor thumbs-up.gif

(well, the image itself, right now i use a 10 year old crt thing, 17" but its HUGE, if this table was smaller i had to use a flatty! rofl.gif )

I use 10 year old CRT too, good LCD-s are very expensive, especially if you're a hardcore gamer where every millisecond counts.

Also, the question about more than one gig of ram, I think I've read somewhere that WindowsXP can't address more than one GB of RAM for an application, witch sould mean that you won't be getting that much of an improvement, but if you are multitasking it should be helpful. Altough I'm not sure if that information is actually true.

flat screens are over-rated tounge2.gif

Don't like flat screens...I like fat screens...

Yeah, well, the responstime is often very better in a fat-screen (otherwise known as CRT, monitor), but I found a flat with 8ms for a good price. That's more then enough, but the lower the better...

Me neither, it looks really crappy compared to an old CRT monitor  thumbs-up.gif

I use 10 year old CRT too, good LCD-s are very expensive, especially if you're a hardcore gamer where every millisecond counts.

Also, the question about more than one gig of ram, I think I've read somewhere that WindowsXP can't address more than one GB of RAM for an application, witch sould mean that you won't be getting that much of an improvement, but if you are multitasking it should be helpful. Altough I'm not sure if that information is actually true.

2gb if i remember correcly, and something in my bios was talking about 4gb, but i cant remember what it was about

EDIT: Google said 2, but who believes the internet... huh.gif

Assume that you in USA?How bout this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362R probably best card for under $100,next card above it is generally thought to be the geforce 6600 GT but that over $100,the 9800 pro better than vanilla 6600s/le etc.For info. on what card beats what card etc check this site http://www.overclock.net/ good luck.

Assume that you in USA?How bout this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362R probably best card for under $100,next card above it is generally thought to be the geforce 6600 GT but that over $100,the 9800 pro better than vanilla 6600s/le etc.For info. on what card beats what card etc check this site http://www.overclock.net/   good luck.

You assumed wrong if you mean me.

I'm a swedish meatball.

And proud of it wink_o.gif

Assume that you in USA?How bout this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362R probably best card for under $100,next card above it is generally thought to be the geforce 6600 GT but that over $100,the 9800 pro better than vanilla 6600s/le etc.For info. on what card beats what card etc check this site http://www.overclock.net/   good luck.

You assumed wrong if you mean me.

I'm a swedish meatball.

And proud of it wink_o.gif

Aw, so i didnt have to recalculate everything from € into $... tounge2.gif

Aw, so i didnt have to recalculate everything from € into $...  tounge2.gif

Well, your teacher called and told me to let you do it.

You needed some kind of brain-stimulation or something wink_o.gif

J/K

Ah, well, done is done, and will never be un-done smile_o.gif

I would recommend to get barebones. You can save a lot of money by using your old stuff in new computer. I got my comp, A8N-SLI Deluxe, AMD 4000, 7800GT, 550W PS, 2GB ram for $1000. Plugged my old drives, mouse, keyboard, and now I have brand new comp...kinda of.

IMHO

CPU, P4 3G and up.. For AMD talk to an AMD expert - not me

RAM, 1GB Min. of the fastest type the mainboard will take.

VID, NO AGP - Go with PCI, SLI, unless you must use your old card.

HD, Look around for sales, rebates and other specials - some good deals on new fast drives.

PS, 400W Min. or you'll regret it.

That may not sound like "economy" but you will be happier in the long run. To save some money, use an old case if you can but not the old power supply! Use old CD/DVD and diskette drives.  Use the mainboard sound or an old sound card. Use the old monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

yeah change the cpu to Amd , much better performance in my experience than the celerons.

Also the ram memory depends heavily on how many addons you gonna load ofp with... biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

more ram more stable running ofp missions with muchos addons is my advice wink_o.gif

I'm gonna work a little to earn the extra cash, but now the upgrade list looks like this;

MB:                 Asus - Socket 939 - MATX K8M800 (A8V-MX) - AMD / VGA / LAN

Processor:         AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2,2GHz / 1024KB Socket 939 (Box) (90nm) (San Diego)

RAM:               1024MB DDR PC3200 400MHz

GFX:               Asus GeForce 6600le 256MB (PCI-E With silencer instead of fan)

EDIT: Now PCI-E-card instead.

smile_o.gif

I would'nt go with anything less powerful than a GT6600/R9800XT, 6600LE is just plain awful.

I would'nt go with anything less powerful than a GT6600/R9800XT, 6600LE is just plain awful.

And they cost?

confused_o.gif

And they cost?

confused_o.gif

Don't know about Sweden but getting a new one for less than 130e would be a decent deal here.

But... A 6600LE for 100€ can't be worthless... Right?

crazy_o.gif

I think I've read somewhere that you can softmod the LE version into regular or GT version, not sure tough.

crazy_o.gif

I just don't see a point dragging down 3700+ with 1024MB of RAM with an el-cheapo graphics adapter that is outdated before you even buy it.

crazy_o.gif

the LE part is, if you are going to buy something, try to check if it isnt the cheap-cut-down-version of it, the 6600GT is a good choice though  smile_o.gif

(Seriously, the average person doesnt know the difference between LE and GT, who makes up these names?  tounge2.gif )