Sign in to follow this  
Nightjay0044

BIS? Editing Manual?

I would really love to see an editing manual made for Operation flashopint, that either you can download online or buy in stores. I mean something that is well organized and thought up other then the OFP sites out there, which they are useful but we need an editors manual that covers pretty much all aspects of mission editing from placing simple individual units all the way to advanced scripting and external editng.

Something with photos, tones of examples codes, detailed expalainations for peopel to understand and everything. I have this vision of an OFP manual

If people could converse about this with me especially official BIS Members that would be great, because I would really love to see one, and I'm sure other people would too.

THanks guys..

yay.gif

welcome.gif

hmm - You know what? This will not happen.

BIS stopped supporting OFP CWC and RES with any kind of

releases some time ago.

Since everything AND more has already been figured out

by 'the user(s)' it also doesn't make an comercial sense

for BIS trying to sell something, where the majority would

say: why bothering to pay for something, what i can get

free from the web - like you already mentioned yourself on

various fan sites like OFPEC or the official forums (just to

name the two most popular ones - there are off course more).

Also: if BIS would do such kind of thing, keep in mind that

this is almost like teaching a whole programing language, as

lots of ppl aren't used with various programing techniques

which make the big difference when it comes to efficiency

of scripting or even the in-game editor.

Since you are already working on a tutorial (like seen in

Mission editing and scripting board here) i'd suggest you

to do that on your own or with your team and try to sell

it on Ebay or summit like that. You will then see how many

ppl will buy this and then you would be able to say wether it was worth all that effort or not wink_o.gif

If you ask me i'd say in advance: no it's not worth at given

date.

~S~ CD

Not updated with the new commands from Resistance, as it was made in the CWC era, but for a beginner it is certainly the best thing that is close to a real (and really complete) editing manual, providing illustrations with texts.

It is a 300 pages pdf, so enough reading to keep you busy.

Ãœber editor tutorial

if you don't like fileplanet for downloading, you can get it there too.

mirror

Theirs a Manual on the CD

Sorry HotShot but this manual for make your first basic

mission without any scripting or any enhanced editor features

is for sure not anything close to what Nightjay meant by

his request, while i still agree to what i said in my first reply

2 posts above wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

Chris Death~

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">it also doesn't make an comercial sense

for BIS trying to sell something, where the majority would

say: why bothering to pay for something, what i can get

free from the web  

Hey yeah good point. I understand that, and beleive me I had that concept kind of in my mind before I posted this thread. But it was worth a try,and maybe some day I will come out with an editing manual from start to finish.  

Yeah there are lots of sites out there to help you. Exactly you can get it for free, which may be more time consuming then a complete editing manual from BIS.

I'm just had the vision of a complete one with everything compiled into one big understanding manual with all of OFP editing glory. Maybe someday it could come true. but until then, I can keep working at it.  

Sanctuary~

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Not updated with the new commands from Resistance, as it was made in the CWC era, but for a beginner it is certainly the best thing that is close to a real (and really complete) editing manual, providing illustrations with texts.

It is a 300 pages pdf, so enough reading to keep you busy

Yes, I actually do have this, it's pretty good. But i'm talking about something  a lot more complete. Thanks.

HotShot~

hey, and I actually already went through this step-by-step first tutorial a couple times.

It tells you how to code a briefing, how to use the condition and activasion fields, synchronising waypoints, and gives examples of them, all you need to do is then use the code from the Official Command Reference. I guess it didn;t cover all aspects, and the Official Command Reference was released latere as opposed to on the CD, but i think the CD manual did a good job of explaining the parts of editing and the commands reference backed it up with what things you can add.

I do however see that it does miss out the external scripting, such as adding music, how to execute a script, among other things, but i think it covers the vast majority of things people need for missions.