Sign in to follow this  
philcommando

Experimental City Island

looks cool! smile_o.gif You're really know what this game needs PC inlove.gif Hehe i would like to work with 3d to but im just a simple beginner so far biggrin_o.gif But i wish you the best of luck PC smile_o.gif Hope Armed Assault and game 2 can maximze your potentials for making urban areas thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for taking part in this experiment and for the comments. BTW..hehe...hope the PLA mod wont mind me murdering their real life buildings from China tounge2.gif ( had a whale of a time sneaking in from the rear,kidnapping the emperor and flying away in a stolen chopper while a war was going on at the front gates - supposedly a vietcong 'Nam mission at a minor meeting hall palace at Hue, Vietnam)

map9.JPG

Sorry about the aef lights. On my own comp i used many of the great addon makers stuff to complement the city as there was no sense in duplicating their great addons such as AG Smith, Mapfact, AEF and many others. I had remove most of them when i publish this pack as not many may have those addons, but for the life of me, i cant find where that lone AEF light is crazy_o.gif

This experiment is modular in every way. I did not binarise any of the addons, including the island. I know the ground textures are crappy, but hey! one can always change it easily. Furthermore, in line with the concept of OFP1 - TOTAL FREEDOM - you can really do anything you want and set up an area of operation as you like easily, something which other islands restricted us with fixed objects and fixed ground levels. Nothing wrong with with fix objects i must add, some love it as it is plug and play asap, others seek more freedom, both styles hopefully will give folks expanded play till ARMA comes along wink_o.gif

does the download include some required addons? cause 17mb is pretty big crazy_o.gif

-drag a box using the mouse over a selected area, (try to keep to open areas or no worries about removing some of the buildings that got dragged along as it is not required in yer area of ops)

-click control c

-click on 'clear' button in editor

-click control v

-save it under a different user mission name.

17mb :- yup, all u need for the island. It includes 30 diff buildings for this Afghan size island and several different human figures in attires you wont find elsewhere for the time being.

could someone please email me the island and required addons, but seperately. so i could download the island first then the addons. i've tried getting it several times and it's stuffed up after about 7mb. confused_o.gif

my email is somealien@hotmail.com if anyone wants to smile_o.gif

I really like the whole idea of the map  smile_o.gif

...but the civilian/west/east addons that came with it are a bit rough as far as textures and detail.  

I figure if everyone tells you that everything is just great and nothing needs improving, that's not really always helpful.

Hey, great idea phil. Good move on grouping the buildings in "blocks". I suppose that converting the textures from .jpg to .paa/.pac could improve the general performance, though...

...this makes me want to restart my own mega-city project. smile_o.gif

Cool pack.But those textures could be better.

Maybe i will use some of those buildings (beach hut for sure)

in big city on the airwolf mod usa island...

P.S.Hey ag_smith can you still remember those highways that you did for me few years ago whistle.gif  wink_o.gif

Thanks for the links..and sigh..yeah, i know...textures!...wish i had more time..was back on leave for a couple of days and did it all alone ( some were already on my hddrive) in a moment of madness... crazy_o.gif

Perhaps the human textured addons may disgust Blackblood or Laser or HSK so much that they may decide to do some better suited guys! tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

Lookin forward to yer great addons, Ag Smith wink_o.gif

Great work, once again!!! This was sorely needed!!!

But, in order not to repeat others but still make an observation...

That Rolls Royce... so pink... and with a jet-engine sound... whistle.gif

Oh well at least the girls who play OFP can now drive around in a fitting vehicle... rofl.gif

Thanks for the links..and sigh..yeah, i know...textures!...wish i had more time..was back on leave for a couple of days and did it all alone ( some were already on my hddrive) in a moment of madness... crazy_o.gif

Perhaps the human textured addons may disgust Blackblood or Laser or HSK so much that they may decide to do some better suited guys! tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

Lookin forward to yer great addons, Ag Smith wink_o.gif

Oh yeah, in the Capitol building all the desks, chairs, bookcases, and mainframe computers are suspended in the air wink_o.gif

...As are the people in the chinese temple. The temple's stairs are also bugged so that you cannot climb 'em unless you have a rifle in your hand.

Yes, this is an excellent urban buildings&objects pack. I'm going to try it out soon as possible and plan and execute as much political mayhem as possible.

I was wondering if there was a chance you PhilCom or someone else could do some buildings and/or a map to get a Kremlin/Moscow type atmosphere.  Probably would be good to do a Soviet version of the same objects, then a CIS/Russian Federation version.

This is just wishful thinking but it would be great to have the cutscene ability to do scenes where you see politics gets involved.  (US and Soviet/Russian Fed.)  See them plan political schemes and infight over crisises, ah the Nostalgic.  biggrin_o.gif

Even though it would be unmentionably great if it was done, I won't dare suggest the modelling of the Soviet/Russian Federation Politburo building..   band.gif

Microsoft did it, why shouldn't PC? Maybe insert a huge sign in front of it that says in russian "This is NOT the building you think it looks likes. It is not even a remake or a copy of it, it's the sacred temple of Ofpists. Anyone calling it anyone else will wage a holy Jihad of Ofpists on him and will be tortured to death, just like in the old KGB... uh, nothing."

Well not, but maybe just make two large staircases in the entry and a doorway to the ball room in between them. The staircases can have a balcony with non-openable doors up 'em. Voila, insert the Russian eagle and hurray.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rolls Royce color:- aint easy to get textures..but guess i should have tone it differently

Rolls_Royce_Phantom_Tan_Side_2.jpg

Floating objects:- tested on my comp:- didnt see it, but will will try on different system to see the effect and give an update on the capitol pbo at a latter date.

Floating soldiers on temple:- caused by roadwayLod as it has to be above 15~20cm above ground otherwise when the soldier prones, he will bounce - can be adjusted i suppose...

Running up stairs:- admit its a fault, but no problems for AI, as for player, he just gotta look up as he goes up the stairs

Edit:- I take full responsibility for my errors. Nothing wrong with ofp1 engine or wait for Arma to be better, cos ofp1 engine is darn versatile!..example..if the roadway LOD needs to be 15~20cm above geolod, all one needs to do is to lower the geolod..sheesh! crazy_o.gif ..geolod can be made better in ofp1, just need a hell lotta patience and experimentation to make it just like ofp xbox..wish i had more time..

another note i wanna share with those who wanna make cities..go easy on trees - its a major cause of lag...as well as repetative buildings with full scale interiors.

so who's next to bring famous world landmarks - moscow, germany, Taj Mahal, Acropolis, hidden mayan chambers, etc to ofp, now that its possible to create buildings and structures more than the geolod restrictions? tounge2.gif

Give me an ancient ruined buddhist temple with good places to place a VC HMG and off to the jungle we go.

Stonehenge!

Philcommando, you just earned youself a mod folder on my PC, your addons may not look like some others, but they are very original and very fun to play with! biggrin_o.gif

LOL , DITTO!!! about the mod folder.

Very nice work PC , this will fill many needs of the ofp community.

I think you went above and beyond with the work that you put into this pack smile_o.gif I like the wreckage effect of of some of the buildings when bombed. Should make for an interesting shell the city mission.

My only personal wishlist for buildings in ofp would have to be a ,(small gunshop) and a (large club/strip/biker bar) mostly for survival horror missions.

Original and outstanding as usual smile_o.gif

Keep it up!

Hey Phil,

I think this will be your finest work to date!

As you know.., I've been a fan of yours since your first beta!

Congrats on this!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

great work phil.. love your stuff

buzzard as a girl who plays OFP i resent the insinuation we would all like a pink limo.. now a hot pink bradley.. thats a different matter ..... tounge2.gif

Barbies funtime beach Bradley anyone ? biggrin_o.gif

I meant no offense and do apologise...

I just felt that a Rolls Royce would deserve a more... hmmm... serious coloring?

A pink bradley... hmm... well, it would blend in nicely with OFP's default sunup/sunset coloring, so it would actually work in terms of camo... even if at sunsets and sunup... smile_o.gif

grrr. could some one send me the real lights thing? i dont want to have to download the train, i have a 56k confused_o.gif

thanks

p.s. pm me please