Sign in to follow this  
havocsquad

Aircraft pilot modelling template

I was wondering if anyone is going to create a competent standalone fixed wing pilot pack or template.  A lot of the current ones made are okay but they lack the proper harness setup and survival gear located on the side and front like Laser's helo pilots, except the survival pack is not a full vest, but more like a large belt with straps.

Preferably the accurate modelling of the SV-2B vest for all USAF, USN, and USMC pilots.

Here is a good pic of what should be done.

csu15b.jpg

Some versions have some items higher on the flight suit than others, the radio is usually the most common part repositioned.

It's hard to find modern well detailed pictures of current USAF, USN, and USMC pilots in full gear.

I figure it would probably be best if the focus is on modelling&texturing the harness and survival vest seperate so it could be adopted for various other projects or addons.  If more wants to be done, then its easy to keep going.

If anyone could provide more pictures of modern and accurate useful photos of USAF, USN, and USMC fixed wing pilots in full flight/survivial gear would be greatful.  No aircrew pics please, Laser has already done a helo pilot pack.

Anyways, hope this request doesn't turn into just wishful thinking.

Havoc.

RZN made a pilot pack, one pilot used the old flight gear, and one of the pilots was modeled after the combat edge system that the US military is transitioning to for the fighter pilots. You could ask RZN for permission to update that pilot pack.

REZIN was updating the pack, seen newer pilots in the BOH mods so he is working on them still. IRKN (sp) released al new pilot with the latests F14 Tomcat release. Its the most acurate US pilot addon out now. Its even seperate so can be added to other jet fighter aircraft. Nice not service branch related so can work for Air force Marine and even Navy.. Seeing the Army seldom runs the old OV series jets no jet pilots in the Army other than in special aplications like survailance..get bird heeeeeeeeeeer!

Sorry but the texture scheme on it is completely wrong from the waist up for the US pilot.  confused_o.gif   The Helmet and oxygen mask is done very well, but there should be no "vest" type look, there should only be the belt straps and the survivial vest on the outside of the flight suit and anti-g suit.

Not trying to crush hard work already completed, its just going to take a lot more work for the OFP community to get close to accurate on a generic modern US fixed-wing aircraft pilot.

Havocsquad:

Part of the problem is that no one is being issued SV-2s anymore, so the CMU-33 survival vest is just that, a vest.  That pic in your first link is now outdated.  FK's pic above is pretty close.  There's a few too many pockets/kits and they're missing some leg straps, and it looks like there's a waist lobe, which shouldn't be there, but for the most part, that's about right.

I know the pic I had was an outdated one, its just hard to find current ones at least for me it is.

It had the rigging and parts in the proper place, and I was using it as a "generic" example.

The SV-2B looks a lot different than the pic I posted.  I'm just having a hard time finding good reference pics of it being worn.

Just a person struggling with a means to explain the problem in a way that might bring some solutions.

Its a damn video game made by usualy _non-military_ type people. Your griping about something your even finding it diffcult to obtain referance from to create. There is a johnDoe soldier kit, sugest you get cracking seeing nobody is going satisify your need for the perfect jet jocky model. Or get the ok to reskin Ikars pilot.. Adding that many pounches is going to create a model clipping nightmare.

I just asked the community politely Bobcat, don't get worked up about it. Right now I do not have the practice or experience yet to deal with human O2 models. I have some experience in editing and manipulating objects for certain desired effects but not enough yet to do what I'd like to do now.

I am an inanimate drafter, not a anatomical artist. Getting there takes time and practice which I am doing.

I know the pic I had was an outdated one, its just hard to find current ones at least for me it is.

It had the rigging and parts in the proper place, and I was using it as a "generic" example.

The SV-2B looks a lot different than the pic I posted.  I'm just having a hard time finding good reference pics of it being worn.

Just a person struggling with a means to explain the problem in a way that might bring some solutions.

I understand what you're saying. And except for the SV-2, that's a pretty good reference pic. My point was just that the SV-2 isn't around anymore except in very small numbers (2 or 3 per squadron) and they're going away.

I think part of what you're seeing in your pic that isn't in FK's pic is the torso harness, which is underneath the survival vest. It's a seperate piece of hear, so you end up wearing two different sets of leg straps, plus the G-suit. All this is just FYI, not trying to argue your original point/request.

No problem on that feedback Gatordev, every bit of helpful information and suggestions makes solutions come ever bit closer.   I'll probably try to find some more info or some diagrams (if I'm lucky) and I'll know more what to talk about, ask or try to model&texture.

Later,

Havoc.