Sign in to follow this  
twon01

Good Modernday Mod

Hi all, I am rather new to the OFP group (just picked the game up a couple weeks ago rofl.gif ) and have been looking for a modernday (IE. 2005 technology) Mod. I just got FDF and love it and have gone all the way through the campaign. If anyone has any other sugestions, please feel free to drop me a line. Also if there is any mods that has missions/campaigns that are a desert based (ie iraq or similar region) please let me know!

thanks all!!!!

anthony miller

welcome.gif

Moving to Addons & Mods: Discussion - pretty much only release announcements are in A&M:Complete. If you're looking for something, it's best to search the forums first. smile_o.gif

BAS tonahl island pack or delta force campaign smile_o.gif

you can find the campaign in the campaigns section at ofp.info site. There you can also find the many addons and campaigns and missions for ofp to download.

Thanks all,

i guess that i was a little confused as to the difference between a campaign and a mod. I guess that i am looking more for campagins rather than mods that take place in modern day. thanks again

anthony

try the Operation Gulf War Crisis beta? welcome.gif

That's 1991.. smile_o.gif and probably not the best way to start playing OFP mods (I can't seem to get rid of it..)

the JSDF mod is great their addons are great too should try it out, its modern but not ultra modern.

try the Operation Gulf War Crisis beta?  welcome.gif

That's 1991.. smile_o.gif and probably not the best way to start playing OFP mods (I can't seem to get rid of it..)

The IM:UC will be covering more recent years of the gulf wars and altho not a lot from us has been released i can assure you there will be something big before the end of this year from us.

i guess that i was a little confused as to the difference between a campaign and a mod.

I can see why you would be confused. The thing is, OFP (and the OFP community) works slightly different than most games. In OFP, there are basically two different 'things' to download: addons/mods, and missions/campaigns.

Missions are made using the in-game mission editor, and are what is found under the 'missions' section of the game menu. They are the scenarios or 'levels' that you play in OFP. Campaigns are just a series of missions that are connected together (usually with a storyline).

Addons add new units, weapons, vehicles, islands, and other things to the mission editor, allowing mission makers to use them in their missions. Missions made using an addon will also require that addon in order to play the mission.

The term mod isn't very well-defined in the OFP world, but it usually means either: (a) an addon or collection of addons that introduces a very large amount of new units/vehicles/etc to the game; or (b) something that replaces the default unit/weapon/vehicle models in the game with other models. The second type (b) means that you can play most existing missions, and instead of seeing the default models, you will see the new models.

Unlike most game communities, the majority of the OFP community isn't interested in 'levels' or 'scenarios' (missions). Theoretically, an addon/mod is a tool that is used to create the end result: a mission/campaign played by the player. However, in OFP addons/mods themselves are usually viewed as the end product. OFPers are generally more interested in plopping newly released soldiers/vehicles/etc into the mission editor, and looking at them, having short firefights with them, driving them around, etc.

The FDF mod is one of the few mods that actually considers missions/campaigns to be important enough to create. Most addons/mods don't include any missions or campaigns at all. Personally I find this absurd, but that's just me whistle.gif.

If you are interested in actually playing the game (instead of playing around in the editor), then you'll need to do things in this order:

(1) Find a mission or campaign that you want to play.

(2) Download the addons/mods that are required to play that mission.

Like I said, most addons/mods do not include missions, so unfortunately you usually can't do this in the reverse order (that is, download an addon/mod that you want to play a mission with, and expect it to come with a mission).

Luckily, there are tons of great missions/campaigns available to play. Here are some places to look:

FDF mission repository

Houses missions made using the FDF mod.

OFPEC missions depot

Hundreds of missions reviewed by people who know how to create missions. IMO the best place to look for missions, because you get (a) a TON of missions to choose from, (b) an author's description of the mission, and © a review, so you have a good idea of what you are downloading. Many other sites don't have any of that (just a list of titles).

OFPEC missions: beta testing forum

Missions are often posted here before they are posted in the missions depot. The nice thing about this board is that you can discuss the mission with the author while he is still making it, and help him make his mission more enjoyable.

User missions board

Not nearly as active as the OFPEC links above, but sometimes good missions get posted here and not at OFPEC.

The favorite missions thread

On this forum. Notice how absurdly small this thread is compared to the similar 'favorite addons' thread.

Mapfact

Mostly german site with some great missions (currently down).