Sign in to follow this  
Gameer

Any WSO (Weapons Systems Operators) on the forums?

Hey all,

As I approach the end of my school life i've been considering what to do after I leave and, having been fairly interested in the subject of the military (heightened by my time playing OFP, natch), i've been looking into a career in the services.

From a little investigation and after speaking to the RAF careers guys at Leuchars today (an airshow) I found myself interested in the WSO side of things, more specifically a crewman. However it's difficult, even with the wonders of the internet, to find out what such a job entails thoroughly so I of course came here to see if there were any friendly folk who knew of any further information as to what a WSO job involves, heck, some of you may even be a WSO yourselves.

You don't exactly have to be an expert in such matters but any response would be highely appreciated, even if you weren't a WSO but are in the RAF and gone through the ropes and could pass on your words of advice.

Thanks in advance to any who takes their time to respond, and I hope this isn't contravening the off-topic rules since it is military-related.

Again, thanks. smile_o.gif

My Bro (from St Andrews!wink_o.gif is applying for WSO.

WSO in the old Days used to be Back seat Jockeys, now the guys in the back of Awacs are WSO's ist a generic term now.

I dont know if your a Sprog or not, but sometimes they let you on base to chat with personell if you are interested in a career in the RAF.

I Also take it your At Madras (is Doc Malc still there?) when i was there ( good 5 years now, yeesh) the carrers office (mrs Towns) had a good load of carrer info for the RAF, also they could be able to set up a meeting with a member of The RAF.

Oh and you need physics!

Will.

Hey thanks for the reply,

I'll be 17 very soon but I was gonna wait till about 17 1/2 before I put in my proper application (since I think that's the minimum age anyway).

I'd certainly love to talk to people who know a lot more about the job's particulars (hence the thread) so it might be a good idea if I could have a chat with someone who does it (which I was kinda hopin that someone did on here) so mebbe I should investigate that further.

As for Madras I donno what you're talking about. biggrin_o.gif I assume it's a school in/near Leuchars but I actually live nearer Stirling myself, just went over for the airshow.

Hope your brother's application is succesful too btw thumbs-up.gif

WSO

WSO Crewman

I'm thinking about RAF or Army aswell mate, but finish college first and if I do good enough then try and go officer.

Yeah, got those links and some crewman handbooks they were giving out too which've got a little more info.

I too am thinking of going to uni/college then seeing what I feel like when I graduate and it'd certainly help out in selection (I heard only ~25% of people get in first time).

So many decisions!! crazy_o.gif

Yeah, got those links and some crewman handbooks they were giving out too which've got a little more info.

I too am thinking of going to uni/college then seeing what I feel like when I graduate and it'd certainly help out in selection (I heard only ~25% of people get in first time).

So many decisions!!  crazy_o.gif

Yer too many jobs in armed forces and in the world.

Note: WSO requires A-Levels.

Quote[/b] ]Note: WSO requires A-Levels.

No problems there biggrin_o.gif

Can't believe there aren't any willing, helpful RAFers on the forum - must all be off in Iraq or something.