Sign in to follow this  
MadFred

DFS is working on Scandrova

Hi,

Widmak and myself from DFS are working on our first island for OFP.

It's a 256 cell, or 12,8 square km island called Scandrova.

It features nice rolling hills, a river, a large desert, has an airbase, several larger cities and towns and lots of farms and villages aswell as several military installations. It's a work in progress but we estimate that it's 60% done. We also plan to release it with a campaign. release date is unknown at this time.

DFS_MadFred

Scandrova34.jpg

Scandrova12.jpg

Scandrova11.jpg

Scandrova4.jpg

Scandrova3.jpg

Scandrova2.jpg

We haven't planned such things yet, but anything is possible at this point.

For now we are using resistance textures and objects, with various Mapfact objects as the only addons atm.

at the moment we are both working on the island and as soon as the island is far enough along for one of us to start creating a campaign, the other one will most likely look into extra details/addons.

Fred

I really like the nicely rolling terrain, this is what is so sorely missing in those pancake-style islands

the cities are nicely laid out as well

maybe you could add some relief to one of the cities as well, so that it has a strategic advantage to capture the higher part of the city (Vidlakov-style)

we kind of have that idea with the elevated bridge over one of the cities that ends on a bank on the edge of the city

kind of..

Scandrova8.jpg

not directly visible but it's off to the lower right

it would be nice with berghoffs trees.

Very nice island, good work. smile_o.gif

Raptor smile_o.gif

Looks nice.

But, not sure how to word this. Hmm..

Will there be something "special" about the island? I.e, what is the difference between using this, and, say Freya?

The campagin is a plus, but for MP, it's not (Unless you include MPMissions too, of course tounge2.gif)

Things like adding millatry bases (Maybe two bigs ones, for easy/west, and little ones scattered around the place), things hidden in the hills (Bahadur island had quite a few thigns like this, like a coal-quary I came across, which was cool). Skye island has a really cool bridge over a big valley thing.

In short : Things that make exploring the island fun tounge2.gif

Just one other suggestion, use AGS (Agent Smiths) Industial Packs.. If the player has pretty much any other modern island, they will almost certainly have this. The factory type buildings in this screenie are a bit repetitve

Anyway, nice work smile_o.gif

Also, keep in mind I'm suggesting things from a players view, not a map makers view. I understand how fecking hard making islands is, and how much work you musta put into it smile_o.gif

- Ben

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Onix, thx for the suggestions aswell

We will most likely also include some MP missions.

as far as bases go.. at present there ARE two big bases (for east/west kind of idea indeed) on opposite sides of the island and a few small ones scattered around. smile_o.gif

We are not going to use any additional Industrial addons atm as we want to keep the industry on this island to a minimum.

I know that some spots will have a somewhat repetetive look when restricted to RES objects, but there's only a few factories on the whole island anyway.

There's allready a few "special" and "hidden" spots around the island, and no doubt more will follow.

To say what the difference is between this one and other modern islands?  no idea, would be a matter of taste I guess.

We are creating it because we enjoy doing so and end up with a nice place to have our MP sessions on. If someone else uses it and likes playing on it then that is an added bonus.

Looking very nice! I can't wait until it's done. One question though: Will it have a backround for the menu screen or will you still have control over the player? When the island itself looks good, I usually look at that next. Very nice, though! thumbs-up.gif  notworthy.gif

thank you

Yes, the island will have an intro movie, several most likely.

Wow this was a surprise, I mean I knew Widow was working on an island but I had no idea you were the puppetmaster pulling the strings smile_o.gif

You started to edit too, way to go. So how you like working with WrpTool?

Island landscape looks just great, no seriously, no asskissing involved. Good work guys, keep it up.