Sign in to follow this  
Fork122

US DoD Game Developer Community

Quote[/b] ]Military Creates Game Developer Community

Community created to share ideas and concepts for military games.

July 22, 2005-The Department of Defense announced today the formation of the Department of Defense Games Developers' Community -- a project intended to "bring together the entire community developing games within the US military."

The last few years have seen a number of collaborations between the United States military and game developers. Games from these collaborations such as America's Army and Full Spectrum Warrior have met with both critical and popular acclaim and have provided not just entertainment for the gaming public but also valuable training tools for the members of the armed services. The project represents the next step by allowing developers to interact with each other to share ideas and concepts to enhance their own products

The site, which is run by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and DARWARS, contains information on the games being developed for the various branches of the armed forces as well as articles, papers, and books for research purposes.

Full Article

From the DOD Game Community website:

Quote[/b] ]· What is the site's purpose?

Game development, for training and other purposes, has been going on independently in many different areas of the military without a means for developers to know what others were doing, or to connect with each other.

This site's purpose is to bring together people developing games within the U.S. military, and provide them with useful resources and a way to contact each other.

In addition to providing information, the community provides a listserv, [dodgamecommunity], for people to discuss issues. Members can also submit games, references, resources, and corrections, and post comments on the games and references on the site.

Both VBS1 and Operation Flashpoint are listed on the site, and it makes sense with both the games focusing on realism. I was suprised to see some games like Medal of Honor on the list though, what would that teach the US armed forces? That if they hop in a machine gun 50 Germans will always appear and run right at it wink_o.gif

I think it's a good idea for game developers all to work together and share ideas, and BIS might get some good ideas and help in their upcoming games biggrin_o.gif

DARWARS has been around for awhile.

From my research it would seem that companies are funded by the government to create limited open-source material using off-the-shelf commercial products (i.e. they are funded/paid, but the products/modifications are not sold - simply given to the appropriate agencies/orgs that are allowed)

I can vouch that they even use community based work in their products. *cough* *cough*

The dutch airforce historical section has always shown an active interest in my "art" and they have always been willing to help me with research. This might not ever see a place in games but it is very nice of them to always open all dosiers and work hard to help me when I have another idiotic question about paintscheme's or exact serial numbers of spitfires on a specific dates during mission in early 1944.

Lol, some of the games they got included there... A mean battlefield 1942!? what that going to teach them, that they can jump into a tank by them self and be able to drive and fire it? Or it takes half a dozen magazines to kill a german tounge2.gif Although BF1942 is a fun game and i do play it now and again i cant really see it being used as a military training tool crazy_o.gif

Also i notice the AirForce have got 'Star Craft' listed. No idea how a sci-fi RTS game relates to the AirForce inless they use it for training in Area 51 or somthing tounge2.gif

Any way cool stuff!

just looked at the site, and found something interesting under the Mods tab: DARWARS Ambush! A mod of Bohemia Interactive’s Operation Flashpoint, designed, produced and built by BBN, Jason Robar, Total Immersion Software, and Savage Entertainment.

but trying to load it from the page I get this message: "DARWARS Ambush! is sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). It's use, and the use of this community website, is generally restricted to U.S. Military organizations and personnel."

I thought no military training is allowed with the OFP engine, but this seems to be a military trainning mod using the OFP engine. And worse of all, they dont make it available for everybody, but restrict the usage to Military organizations and personnel.

an old site wink_o.gif  

maybe some of the games/mods listed are for fun nener.gif

some for training   pistols.gif