Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

OFP Addon Mania

I was wondering, we've been playing a lot of OFP for quite some time. We also use a lot of addons, and now comes my question.

I do know that the 'where to put addons' topic has been more than just covered, but I feel my questions are not answered in FAQ nor other topics, so here we go:

As said before, we use a lot of addons, I know you can put the addons in Addons\ Res\Addons\ or lets say @mymod\addons.

Now I have a problem here. When we change the custom addons (NOT THE ORIGINALS) location from Addons\ to @mymod\addons

and start playing multiplayer, 99% of all missions start moaning about 'missing addons', while the missions don't make use of that specific addon, now, since we changed the addons to a mod folder, it starts complaining in almost every mission, that it needs specific addons. I am totally clueless, I see mods and other addons all promote the 'modfolder' way, BUT somehow when I put the addons in a mod folder, and boot up the game with -nomap and the -mod paramater, we get problems.

The addons that causes problems here: apacsnow and zombie

(there where some more but can't remember it)

So I was wondering, is this a known problem, am I doing something wrong? Should I maybe split it up more like all BAS addons in @BAS, all MAP addons in @MAP and so on? I really can't understand why it doesn't work here. Going nuts already smile_o.gif

I was thinking maybe the addons that it starts complaining about..just put them in the addons or res\addons folders, but hey, then I am not running with clean addons folders, so then IMHO the whole idea behind putting the addons in mod folders dissapears sad_o.gif

Hope someone can help me out, instead of getting an reply: This has already been covered. Cause really, I can't find the answers anywhere sad_o.gif

Thanks in advance!

Some addons MUST be in the Addons or Res\Addons folder to work. I don`t know why this is, but it is a long known problem (to me).

As far as I know, the mission(s) affected (99% as you stated), will still function correctly, and shouldn't cause any issues. If I read your post right, its the "Cannot load mission, missing addons: Whatever" that appears as a 'Global Chat' when you hit the MP briefing screen - If that is truely the case, its more of a simple annoyance than anything sinister likely to ruin your game and/or kick you from the server. If you do not use many addons (clearly you do, this is more of a fix for those who don't), then simply put them in your OFP/Addons or OFP/Res/Addons folders and forget about mod folders. However, if you're in the same boat as many, I feel its just going to have to be a case of grinning and baring it, unless of course someone knows of a fix I don't wink_o.gif

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum sad_o.gif(

Thanks for the answers!!!

Well, the problem is, because we run with a dedicated server, we can't play if there is a missing addon or config.bin error sad_o.gif

Ok, so, in short:

*putting the addons in one big mod folder or seperate mod folders doesn't change anything

*putting the problematic addons in addons or res\addons folder resolves the problem

Right? smile_o.gif

Thanks again.

addons folder is for ver 1.46 and

ver 1.91-1.96 are in res/addons folder i run 1.96 and i delete my addons folder in main dir

Is it your own missions?

If so, then you have probably placed that unit on the map when you did the mission, even if you removed the unit it has been saved in the mission file (I think) that the addon is needed, and therefore when you start the mission, it is complaining that the addon doen't exists...

The way to fix that is to edit the mission file in notepad and remove the addon from there (one of the first lines)...

If it is someone esles mission the problem is probibly not that, I have had similar problems before, but I don't know how to fix it...