Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Storyline

From PC Gamer UK preview:

Quote[/b] ]The new campaign, on an equally new island, has been created to showcase the improved features of the engine. It's much larger and more detailed than Everon and previous worlds. Codenamed Sara, it's going to feature dense woodlands and as big an urban environment as the game can take. Also, there's a whole new story to play through. While the game island is fictional, made of jig-sawed satellite images of Eastern Europe, it has a politically resonant background. The island's despotic North has been threatening the democratic South, which is under US protection. The US, believing the threat has passed, have started pulling out ...at which point an attack occurs.

While the defensive nature of the campaign distinguishes it from the norm, the most intriguing part is its unusual structure: the game is 'told' in flashback form after the war, as you are interrogated by your fellow officers. What happened? That's for us to discover as we play, with our actions helping decide whether this will be a court-martial or a commendation.

What do you guys think of the storyline. Personally I find it quite interesting. Especially because it's about 2 countries border conflict.

But I was wondering if there are seperate armies for each countries or does only the north has an army?

Guest Ti0n3r

I think it sounds interesting. Imo campaigns about border conflicts often become a bit better and more exiting than campaigns that are simular to CWC and Resistance. More tension.

I rekon it sounds good and interisting. Since there Australian Army vehicles in the pictures maybe there be allies for the US huh.gifwink_o.gifpistols.gif Australia Kicks ass. The army, the edge pistols.gif

I rekon it sounds good and interisting. Since there Australian Army vehicles in the pictures maybe there be allies for the US huh.gifwink_o.gifpistols.gif Australia Kicks ass. The army, the edge pistols.gif

Maybe those Aussie vehicles are just placeholders for the local armies icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I remember reading something like that the game takes place a few years back in time. Im most curious about who the bad guys will be. Russians? Paramilitary forces?

Im most curious about who the bad guys will be. Russians? Paramilitary forces?
Quote[/b] ]The island's despotic North has been threatening the democratic South, which is under US protection. The US, believing the threat has passed, have started pulling out ...at which point an attack occurs.

The despotic north will be the bad guys, but I am curious if BIS will make a complete new army for both sides confused_o.gif

This flashback thing sounds very interesting (curiously that it was done in Mafia - another game by a Czech developer - as well).

But I am less thrilled about the actuall story. Despotic North - Democratic South, Bad Guys - Good Guys... sounds quite a formulaic black and white thing. I kind of hoped for a more life-like story where it is harder to tell which side if any is "right".

Quote[/b] ]Zerg Posted on July 09 2005,19:12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This flashback thing sounds very interesting (curiously that it was done in Mafia - another game by a Czech developer - as well).

But I am less thrilled about the actuall story. Despotic North - Democratic South, Bad Guys - Good Guys... sounds quite a formulaic black and white thing. I kind of hoped for a more life-like story where it is harder to tell which side if any is "right".

Hmm.. Sounds like you want the reason for going to war, the politics of it.  They seem to have done away with that boring part.. Being in-game waiting and listening to civilian radio for updates while on watch does not appeal to me.  tounge2.gif  rofl.gif  band.gif

Lifelike?  Korea, Sudan, Darfur region.  Many places exist on the globe such as this, and not to get OT, but for the game, I think it would be nice to have something worth fighting for.  IMHO, the last thing I believe BIS wants is for a player to get demoralized and confused by ideological differences or switchovers.

Lifelike? Korea, Sudan, Darfur region. Many places exist on the globe such as this, and not to get OT, but for the game, I think it would be nice to have something worth fighting for. IMHO, the last thing I believe BIS wants is for a player to get demoralized and confused by ideological differences or switchovers.

But it would've been so awesome to betray your former friends and join the "evil" side! biggrin_o.gif

The problem is though that the 'easy' wars to simulate are relatively onesided morally. Those that have a morally viable opposition are also those that turned out the worst/messiest. As our comrades of the Warsaw Pact continually remind us, although OFP has a well developed storyline, it's too western friendly. However, if BIS were to design the story as "Operation Obliterate Grozney", the average American wouldn't have a clue about the location/plot/their relation, and thus the relevance and interest declining would negatively impact playability/saleability. This of course is assuming you're aiming for realism.

A more easier them would be that toyed with by Clancy in "The Bear and The Dragon". There you have NATO and Russia kicking chicom's, something that everyone but the chinese would enjoy. But then there's minor little details such as licensing etc, and that would cause all sorts of unpleasentries.

Something like the book version of "The Sum of All Fears" would be better, with the rogue army elements, chaos, etc. Mix that in with 'Broken Arrow' esclatory incidents like Japanese and DPRK fishing boats, or the rumors about Russian advisors controlling the AAM's that took down the F117 in the Balkans, mixed with political instabilities, you can get some interesting options. Also Fallujah. They figured they were done, pulled out, some contractors going by got ambushed, so they sent in a whole pile of Marines to clean it out.

Now of course everyone wants to be the brave hero and rush in and kill all the bad guys and save the day, but strictly in the hypothetical game world, it can be kinda fun to be the OPFOR. Make the n00bs earn every inch of ground, only to find out it's a nasty trap. The advantage there is you don't have to fight fair. Well, no cheating of course, but your ROE tend to be a bit looser as the bad guys. I guess that just goes with the territory.

from here:

Quote[/b] ]The question is, what does this mean for your lone soldier, hunting a general across the map?

Now if that doesn't smell like Guba...