Sign in to follow this  
ollyboy

Melee Weapons?

Will there be any Melee weapons in Armed Assault?!  confused_o.gif

such as Hammers, Knifes, Bayonets  inlove.gif  it would be fun stabbing people in the middle of the face  inlove.gif

and maybe Some addon makes make Medieval Mod whistle.gif wich would be nice

there already working axes, nailguns or bayonets... check FDF for an axe, the nail gun was a separate addon and UKF had a bayonet.

i tried them... im not satisfied sad_o.gif i want better  banghead.gif would they said AA engine would be little bit like counter strike... maybe they are useing the knife from ther

Guest Ti0n3r

You want the ArmA engine to be more like Counter-Strike? crazy_o.gif The engine is'nt meant for this kind of weapons. As I have said in some other threads, there's not really any need for knifes and other close combat weapons (IMNHO). During my four years with OFP I have NEVER missed it.

they said that it was gonna be little bit like it right?!

Guest Ti0n3r
they said that it was gonna be little bit like it right?!

Never heard of it. If so, it must have been OFPxbox, not ArmA. And they must have meant that the view is going to be fixed like in most fps games.

CS influencing BIS... rofl.gifgoodnight.gif

i think knife are gonna be important when u make RPG mod such as Crime city... or WW1 mod or WW2

i tried them... im not satisfied i want better banghead.gif would they said AA engine would be little bit like counter strike... maybe they are useing the knife from ther

Are you sure they didn't say ArmA would be compared to OFP like CS:Source is compared to CS? Like an engine upgrade?

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....+engine[/url])]

Armed Assault is a new engine for OFP. You can play OFP in new engine, much like relationship between CS and CS:Source. There are improvments over OFP:R, and some other features that I'm willing to shell out money to buy. When it hits the shelves, you won't be able to resist it!

Quote[/b] ]  would they said AA engine would be little bit like counter strike... maybe they are useing the knife from ther

... Die.

That is the absolute LAST thing the game needs.

Realistically speaking. Since this -is- going to be a realistic game. Stabbing someone would take up far too much time to be useful. It's not like in the... game... you mentioned. Where you just circlestrafe like a moron cycling through an animation of some hand "waving" a knife that has in no way any relevance to actually stabbing someone in real life. More. Giving them minor fleshwounds and aggravating them.

As Marek already said ages ago, there will be improvements for hand to hand combat.

Quote[/b] ] it would be fun stabbing people in the middle of the face

Really ? icon_rolleyes.gif It´s pretty useless to stab into the face as the skull will hinder your stabbing quite much unless you intend to poke out some eyes or cut off some noses... huh.gif

I know , reality sucks for CS fans....

Yawwwwwwwwwn ! goodnight.gif

knifes will be nice tools for some stealth spec op missions! and not for stupid cs action. in real life a knif is a powerfull and completely silent weapon - if the one who uses the knife knows what he have to do with it. so it would be nice to give this weapon only to spec op soldier class as an usefull tool for taking out guards etc.

ordinary soldiers have only a bajonett for close combat.

combinated with really good animations, knife and bajonett can be a cool thing in aras! far beyond stupid cs action.

• Like 1

Guest Ti0n3r

But they AI wouldnt be able to use knifes.

And how would knifes work? I mean, you cant just stick a knife thru modern body armor, right?

Erm, if the AI sneaks up on you with a knife.. That would be.. scarey tounge2.gif

Body armour only covers torso, lots of uncovered areas, but lets not get into this whole discussion crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]would they said AA engine would be little bit like counter strike

Both games you can shoot people, theres your similarity tounge2.gif

- Ben

yes, you're right - many parts of the body of modern soldier are covered with bodyarmor. so a knife attack only make sense in a

"classic stealth kill" - grab the enemy from behind an stab the knife into his throat ( so the knife is blocking air circulation - no screams ) an then make a cut an slit his throat - ok ok is a classic "actionmovie" thing - but i also see this killing technics in close combat manuals from the marines ( i found this manuals in p2p ).

in most cases a knife combat between opponent soldiers will be a total unrealistic situation, but for a spec op situation, when you have to kill guards silently its usual to use a knife. and whats about these bajonettfighting in irak?? ok this poor islamic fighters dont have bodyarmore so they can be stabbed very effectively.

and another thing to think about - in a realistic combat situation

everything that you can grab can be used as a weapon when you are out of ammo or unable to reload!

the only problem for melee weapons in an simulation like aras or ofp2 are people who dont understand the character and the special situations of close combat situations - stupid kids who are searching for the most brutal killing - but the special gameplay character of ofp is the most effective and "naturaly"

cover against a flood of stupid cs kids - i dont thik that this people will have a lot of fun in ofp cause it is more a sim than a game. maybe melee weapons should only be able to handle in spec-op singleplayer missions, where it makes sense - and not in multiplayer. when im looking a game like bf1942 - who uses knifes? the most situation i was killed by knifes or killing with knifes is to make a "dishonorable" kill to a sniper wink_o.gif and this is one of the very few situations where it make sense to use the knife.......

its ok to put some melee weapons in the singleplayer when the specific situation of a mission has a need for it!

greetings, vonStahlhelm

Just include support for it in the game is best IMHO, then servers/players can decide wheter to give the players knifes.

If someone wasnt to try and run at a fixed-MG and get shot down, let them, then they'll learn not to, hopefully tounge2.gif

It's better for it to be included, and not used a lot fo the time, than to not include it and it do be needed.. smile_o.gif

- Ben

Guest Ti0n3r
Just include support for it in the game is best IMHO, then servers/players can decide wheter to give the players knifes.

If someone wasnt to try and run at a fixed-MG and get shot down, let them, then they'll learn not to, hopefully tounge2.gif

It's better for it to be included, and not used a lot fo the time, than to not include it and it do be needed.. smile_o.gif

- Ben

I do agree about that.

As long as they dont give the AI knifes.

Why bring a knife to a gunfight? icon_rolleyes.gif

Besides, OFP is all about outdoor and long distance fighting. Knives belong in bunnyhopping games likes BS2, Delta Force and the likes.

How often are you 2 meters from an enemy and still are undetected in OFP?

I'd rather pack a pair of pliers so I can chew through fences.

Guest Ti0n3r

That's pretty much my point. If BIS decides do some something to the engine to make it easier to create melee addons, then that's a good thing. But I can say that Im 99% sure that there wont be any knifes in the singeplayer part of the game (cause it wouldnt really fulfil any purpose). And I know that there wont be any meaningless bayonets.

For the record I have missed the knife aspect. If ArmA is going to be a open terrain system featuring only long range land engagements...

You may as well toss any SOF and CQB ideas.

While knives aren't used that often, they are still part of the military arsenal. IRL you'd be surprised just how close you can get to people without them noticing. Spetznaz are well known for using guitar strings to strangle people. Navy Seals are just as well known for one stroke knife kills.

Silenced pistols are still noisy, when done properly knives are totally silent. It's all part of the persona surrounding SOF: Silenced fire arms, High and low tech equipment, and high speed cutlery. It all has it's proper place, and without it, it's just not "real".

I think melee weapons would be useful, at the very least for civilian riots and such...

Like that new sledgehammer in Postal 2 weekend apocalypse? rofl.gif

Seriously, I know we have knives in real life. I just don't see how they can be useful in a OFP-game. In games, silenced handguns are just as silent anyways but they reach alot longer than your arm.

So what if ArmA is so "real" that it changes all that?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/DrillSergeant/Knife.jpg

2002-2003 OFPr. Ammo bug, shame the Ai have eyes in the back of thier head and you are so noisy.

If implamented properly melee weapons would be great. Not just knives but SAS, SAFTA, Spetznaz neutralization moves ect.

Bring it on, all it can do is set the release date back.   tounge2.gif

someone knowes those "conflict: desert strike" 1 + 2 games.

ok ok - that are games, not a serious simulation. but they have some real nice animated stealth kills with knifes! in this games, as in real life to, the knife is in most cases not a good choice as weapon - the most time you have to youse your guns and grenades. but sometimes, when you have to infiltrate a enemy base silently - the knife is a good offensive weapon against unawared enemy soldiers. much better than a silecend gun.

i think a modern combat simulation, like aras or ofp2, should cover ALL combat situaitions, from long range rifle fights to close quarter combat situations. i remember on more than one situation in ofp1 where i wish to had a bajonett on my gun - especially when you ordered to take a town full of angry enemys - in this situaition, a bajonett on your gun is a livesaver for real! sometimes in fights your magazine goes empty - and this is a prefer situation that an enemy comes around the corner an catch you while loading your gun welcome.gif "hi please dont kill me, i have to reload than we can do a fair and honorable fight", hehehe! i think a bajonett in such an situation is very usefull!

knifes are a part of todays military arsenal and combat. well, not used often - but they are used. if you want an simulation with all aspects of modern warfare, the knife is also an part of it like an m4 or an apache-helicopter. only its role will be a very small, only be usefull on some special situations like SOF and CQB!