Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

The War of the Worlds?

Hey people, I was just sitting here thinking how erm.. intresting having these things in OFP would be wow_o.gif

War%20of%20the%20Worlds%20-%20CRL.jpg

Im sure a few people here have read the book? (i havent but got a genral idea what its about) Plus i hear theres an upcoming steven speilburg film of war of the worlds.

Im thinking a CTI game Humans Vs martians would be pretty damn cool, watching these machines of death marching across the horizon.

Theres a few alternative designs that can be found by a quik search through google if you dont like the classic 'retro' alien machine. Heres a few cool ones

Any way this will most propely just stay as a pipe dream, I would attempt to model one my self but last time i tried my hand at o2 i could barely get my head around making a box with the help of sevral Tutorials crazy_o.gif

Well hope i aint the only crazy fool who would like to see these babys in action.

Ps. I have the RTS game of war of the worlds that have sevral models of different alien machines if any one wanted me to take a couple of shots of them for refrence.

Edit: Darn forgot the 'S' in worlds on the titile.

That would be awesome, even though Im not into CTIs that much, hell, I hate CTIs. But Anyway yeah that would be cool. But I also have an idea. What if someone made a World War campaign with the units we already have, and theres like about 12 armys fighting eachother at the same time. Now that would be cool.

i think that would be cool, i like aliens, but so few have been released foor ofp.....

If anyone wants to make one I have blueprints of the martian fighting machine (which is the tripod in the album cover pic).

Only problem would be the walking animation.... smile_o.gif

These machines would serve very little purpose in thier original story because they spent all thier time herding us up like cattle and killing us until they were taken down by bacteria. But who am I to tell you what to make.

Cap.

well dont have to follow the story esactly, just give them quite high amour values and powerful heat rays, meaning it will take a lot of human amour, air craft, and artillery to take down just a few.

And maybe two hits from the 'heat ray' could destroy a M1A1. Inless you want to go the full mile and make british victorian units such as amoured lorrys,artillary cannons, and amoured tracktors (WW1 tanks) like of the RTS game.

Edit: Also any mission made with these addons must include the really cool music from jeff waynes musicle! tounge_o.gif

These machines would serve very little purpose in thier original story because they spent all thier time herding us up like cattle and killing us until they were taken down by bacteria. But who am I to tell you what to make.

Cap.

Incorrect.. The fighting machine tripods (pic above) did all the nasty work of 'fighting'.. wink_o.gif

It was the martian handling machines (crab like machines with a basket on top) that did the herding and food preparation.

im game for making the model and scripts biggrin_o.gif :P

AND ive got the game of it so i can rip the music ;)

Wildo

Nice one wildo biggrin_o.gif id be more then happy to put together a mission useing these things. I got a few ideas already.

I think it would be good, or at least interesting to have a martian CTI game. I liked the book and i also have the radio show, so i would love to make missions out of them. Good luck with the animations.

also the option of the hover martian fighting units from the old movie. and there was that short lived war of the worlds tv show a few years ago

I personally never liked the martian machines out of the old movie they seemed a bit 'too' B-movie like. But hey more martians the better biggrin_o.gif

As for CTI, i supose for the martain side it would require a mod team to moddel and make all alien buildings and units, instead i was thinking that one side (the humans) plays in the traditnoal CTI (build base ect) and the martian side starts of at their pod, from where they just proceed to try and take over towns, to deprive the humans of recources rather then gain any thing. As well as to destroy the human base.

The teams would be devided up so that the theres more human players, and less martian players. Presuming that the martains have 'Uber tripods of walking death'. When a martain machine is destroyed it simply respwans at the landing pod. The humans objective is to destroy the landing pod! Im imagening just seeing one of these martian machines should be enough to strike fear into the human side biggrin_o.gif

The 1953 take on wotw with the flying machines was more than likely due to the budget and the fact making a walking tripod without resorting to Ray Harryhausen's stop motion techniques...

If you want to see something really cool.. Click on this link to see the new Fighting machine animation from Jeff Wayn'es upcoming wotw cgi movie based on his soundtrack biggrin_o.gif

http://www.waroftheworldsonline.com/movies/clip.htm (4.5mb quicktime movie clip)

Now that's what you have to compete with unfortunetly sad_o.gif

wow now thats pretty nifty. Good refrence for animation and modeling too.

MWM.jpg

Model by an unknown artist , i think it was the same guy who made the aliens stuff .

Ahh yes ... this is the guy .

Movie Mesh Site

As he states , they are free for non comercial usage as long as a credit is made smile_o.gif

Bloody hell Orson.. biggrin_o.gif

You know this was the first addon I ever attempted about 2 years ago.... sad_o.gif

Well looks like we have a Martian Fighting machine for ofp smile_o.gif

There is both types available on that site , the HG wells classic and the film version which hovered .

The 3DS model is very high poly , but a bit of re-modeling with this as the base and its good to go .

" No one would have believed.... "

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said smile_o.gif

" We can start a whole new world.... underground... right under their noses ! "

David Essex .

Listened to the album far too many times  biggrin_o.gif

Phil Lynott , Moody Blues aaaand Richard Burton ...how good is that   smile_o.gif

Love the album ever since I was a kid mate..

Far too many quotes to post lol biggrin_o.gif

Now all we need is Thunderchild to go with it... biggrin_o.gif

Hope this gets off the ground.. Would be very original.

How interesting. Orson finds the model for a machine from war of the worlds, when orson wells delivered one of the best radio performances ever with the war of the worlds. Coincidence? I think not.

Never thought of that! wink_o.gif

Cmon Orson get that fighting machine in ofp seeing as though you're retired ya puff wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif