Sign in to follow this  
MilitiaSniper

Iraq Map

I'm looking for a desert style map.

That can be used for a Iraq mission I am working on.

Cat's Afghan Island is great!

But Iraq is alot flatter.

My nephew is over there.

And he is gonna give me his story!

So I want to turn it into a mission!

Any help or ideas would be most grateful!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif

Dude, I've been saying the same thing! Why no Iraq map in all of OFP?

There are several being worked on, some are public knowledge and others aren't. Its just a matter of time.

*Builds noah's ark addons for impending flood of Iraq islands.

Goon, over at opflash.org forums is working on a very promising map of Old City of Najaf (link), but he needs a skilled modeler/addonmaker to modify a few of CAT's and Tonal objects to make them look more Iraqi-like. Nothing big, just some simple modifications and a few simple new objects need to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

najaf15bs.jpg

Pic courtesy of Acecombat

I'm sure I can dig up PLENTY of shots of the town I worked on. And trust me, Iraq is the same all around... well somewhat anyways, but I can open some stuff up and I'll give you a link ag_smith via PM.

I'm sure I can dig up PLENTY of shots of the town I worked on. And trust me, Iraq is the same all around... well somewhat anyways, but I can open some stuff up and I'll give you a link ag_smith via PM.

That would be great. smile_o.gif

We also need some good non-urban iraq environments...I was actually going to make a gulf war 1991 mission with hyk and IM:UC units but there are no good Iraq maps sad_o.gif

The first map however that springs to mind resembling Iraq is Sinai island by the lost brothers mod; however this is based off of sinai, not Iraq.

The Sinai map is not even a good Sinai... but the new one sounds excellent!

2-3 weeks before we have Iraq map?!? Yes! xmas_o.gif

Why is it not a good Sinai? We are close by the way to releasing a new version of the Sinai.

We also have an early beta Iraq/Iran map that includes major Southern Iraq cities like Basrah as well as Iranian cities. It also has open flat areas (in Iraq) and mountainous areas in Iran. Our only holdup is getting permission from two Afghan map makers to use their objects. Otherwise its ready for release.

IMUC1.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

It did make a good Sinai, but now the standard of map making has risen and the old Sinai map is just too simple. Thats why I'm happy a new one is on the way. biggrin_o.gif

How hard has it been to get their permission? I do like that Mosque, it would be good to see it in there.

Finally an Iraq map!

Well...MIA was trying to get one released in January...its almost finished, but MadAussie likes to dissappear tounge_o.gif.  He is about on schedule to show up again after not hearing from him for a few weeks/months tounge_o.gif.  If you search for MIA_Iraz you can find the old topic about it wink_o.gif.

EDIT: Our old forums have screens & info on the map also if you want to have a look smile_o.gif.

Well.., I hope when a map is released.

We won't have to download all these different addons for it.

And maybe it will be AI friendly!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

Yeah I agree... what we are doing in LoBo is making a addon pack of needed 3rd party addons that will be released with it so people don't have to download a whole bunch of different addons. (Also it prevents us from accidentally giving links to the wrong versions of particular building packs).

However, because the best buildings are 3rd party addon packs (like mapfacts buildings) its necessary to use these 3rd party packs. It would be very wasteful to convert all of them to make them part of the map .pbo when most people use these same addons for other maps that are often in the same mod folder.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

You know it's funny but I don't think anyone noticed there were two Iraq islands in OPGWC wink_o.gif

New pics of the Southern Iran/Iraq map by the Lost Brothers Mod:

LoBoIranIraqMap15.jpg

LoBoIranIraqMap14.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i agree that there's no good iraq map out yet, especially there's no good iraqo object pack. mapfact stuff is nice, but iraq isn't oilwellls all over the place, it has been a rich and quite industrialized country before the very first gulf war - it's definately not like stone-age afghanistan.

i started an iraq map for our mod a while ago, using new ground textures and new buildings, but i don't have the time to finish it. if someone want's to help...we'd be pleased whistle.gif

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse....d=24056

Looks like some of your buildings need to have the lighting fixed (look at those RES apartment blocks). Just go to O2, Ctrl+A, and press U for sharp edges. For more info search O2 modelling forum. That was one major gripe I had for the Sinai island you've once released. wink_o.gif

PS. Same goes for you, remcen in regard to the pics show in the linked thread. smile_o.gif

Here's a little explanation for you guys.

BTW. I'd remove all those RES apartment blocks - they're way too hi-poly for any larger city. Just a tip. smile_o.gif

Thanks ag_Smith.  I'll forward that info along to Calm Terror.  THe Resistance apartment blocks are actually several in one block.  Calm Terror modified the BIS buildings and I think lowered the poly count a little if I remember correctly.   The map still has a few bugs on it, but its almost ready for release.   Whats cool is this map will be HUGE and will have everything from the nice flat Iraq desert areas that many people have been asking for all the way to thick forested areas in the Iranian highlands.  There is even one base that is up on a large snowy mountain range.  Then of coarse there's the very tightly packed urban areas like Basrah in Iraq as well as the large city of Shahre-Kord in Iran.   Overall I think it will be a map that will provide a very diverse range of terrain for a wide variety of OFP missions and scenarios involving either Iran or Iraq.   It also will likely coincide with Bucketman's Iranian soldier release more then likely (although I have to check with him to see the status of his Iranian units).

At any rate, overall Calm Terror has done a really good job on this map.  I just hope that it won't lag too much on most computers.  He tried really hard to keep the object count down to a minimum.

Oh...Here's some more pics by the way:

LoBoIranIraqMap16.jpg

LoBoIranIraqMap17.jpg

LoBoIranIraqMap18.jpg

LoBoIranIraqMap19.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>