Sign in to follow this  
kavoven

AEF: Phoenix Island

Now we would need Phoenix Defence Forces as well smile_o.gif. And a flag perhaps?

BM

We had a flag somewhere.... that was in those times when we had more then 5 members smile_o.gif

Anyway, in some comments I red, that I did this all by my own:

The island wouldn't be that, what it's now, without the consequent beta testing of the team and especially lesters hard work on the addons, although he couldn't finish the really cool ones.

I have an idea. Make a little competiton where everyone can submit a flag idea smile_o.gif.

What is the main insipiration for it? I'm thinking Alpes and that sort of terrain. Maybe southern Bavaria? Though since it's an island that would be a problem smile_o.gif.

Maybe a Carribbean/Latin American island, without the palm trees but still.

BM

Amazing Island! Sad, that there won't be a "real" aef-campaign.

Is there any chance for the unfinished addons, to get them released as they are?

This is excellent news! I've been looking forward to this a long time as well; when I saw your teaser video, I was blown away. I second the motion for the waterfall as I thought it was stunning. The traffic lights being absent are a shame, but it's not a really big loss, as no other islands have them anyway. I'm really happy that you decided to release this!

Cheers,

Reggy

This is definitely one of the best islands that exist for OFP, and perfectly captures the OFP environment like few others. smile_o.gif

Nevertheless, this islands pretty much confirms that computers still have a long way to go until OFP can be played with everything maxed out, with a fast, stable framerate...  crazy_o.gif

Here's KGB agent Col. TX3RN0BILL's report...

"As recon team in charge of planning the invasion and subsequent use of this island for whatever purpouses my superiors deem fit, I was sent in civilian disguises to explore the terrain. Bad weather hampered my efforts and at no time could I see more than 2 kilometers from wherever I was- visibility beyond that was non-existant due to the fog covering the whole island. I tried to rent a commercial plane to complete the mission as quickly as possible, but after a test flight for evaluation of an imperialist-manufactured Cessna-type light propeller aircraft, I discovered that the engine sputtered so it was completely impractical to accomplish the mission using that kind of transport. Together with a team of Spetznatz I secured a BRDM-type of vehicle and it was a pleasant drive through lively towns and interestingly varying countryside. Only at rare occasions had undergrowth been allowed to pierce the pavement, but on one occasion I found that the government officials of Phoenix had made a more peculiar miscalculation- I had a friendly local take a picture of it..."

phoenixbug18003gv.jpg

"Nevertheless I had to conclude my report to my superiors with the observation that there should only be an attempt of occupation of this island when better, more recent hardware becomes available..."

Nice Report Buzzard biggrin_o.gif

And I found the flag(thx to Dumbscream!)

PIfinal2.jpg

Thanx, k@voven! biggrin_o.gif

Oh, just another question, is it just me or does using the railway system implemented on that island require a lot of experience? Because whilst driving a train composed of engine, fuel wagon (an absolute must, since the railways are so long, and there's no other way to refuel the engine...) crazy_o.gif I tried to drive up a hill but the engine didn't have enough speed so it went backwards into the fuel wagon and it exploded!!! Also, sometimes by passing at a railway station there were some collision problems... the only problems one can't solve is when the train gets derailed when the tracks aren't perfectly aligned, like in this picture...

phoenixbug28002rb.jpg

Oh damn... I thought I had solved this problem...

Yes, I know this bug, and you're right, it's because the tracks aren't perfectly connected, because on the one hand I came with the track builder from Cherokee and on the other hand I came from the airport, and I needed also a connection to the small military base in the eastern mountains and this was very difficult but I thought the actual solution would be enough...

I'll try to think something up...

...nevertheles a really good work! Very funny and nice ideas...hope some mission builder will follow up this map to use it for very strong missions... smile_o.gif

I speak for all MP players when i say when will there be a MP versian of the train? I love this Island but no MP trains me and frenids are a bit sad wink_o.gif

Sorry, I said that already, but there is only me left in the AEF-Campaign, and I definatly do not have the skills to do a MP version.

I know we announced that there would be one comming with Phoenix Island, but this is history, since dschulle left the team. sad_o.gif

Perhaps there'll be an update by another team ;)

Thank you very much for this island.

Its my favourite island from now on.

I especially like some of the new land textures and shape of land.

smile_o.gif

Been testing it, its very laggy!!!

I dont know if anyone else has had this prob, my PC is quite up to date and i re-installed OFP because of this island, and have view distance and all that turned right down!

hmm, no Problem.

The Old Version (Time: ehm .. Mid. 2004 ?) and the new Version running fine (AthlonXP2400+|1024DD-Ram|9600Pro)

btw. Still nice to see PI smile_o.gif

k@voven, well done. Big island with no lag!!! Now that's perfect.

The towns and cities are well laid out--just beautiful.

I'm wondering if you're looking to get bug reports: There are a couple spots on the rail line where the train "stutters" and will just not move anymore. Is this a result of the connection problem you spoke of earlier?

Partly yes, and partly it's a problem of the train script, which isn't perfect. If you could give me the positions where you have these problem, I can proove if there is a change to improve the situation over there.

I think meanwhile I could solve the first problem, because I moved the parts were the tracks didn't fit exacly away from the switches, but I have to test it... wink_o.gif

edit

Dreadfully this didn't solve the problem... sad_o.gif

After short test drive, seems like a really nice island. Hilly but not too hilly. You can take full advantage of VITAPC's BTR-80 here. There are steep enough hills to make it actually hard to drive ontop (though less than 60 degrees ain't a problem).

Big open areas, so I think I'm gonna have interesting battles here. Thanks.

this is a really good island. feels well planned, nicley detailed but low lag for me.

very good work indeed. v:)

Has anyone fixed the issue with the land texture bug where it's white on this island?  I tried to open the map up and fix it, but it gave me load of error messages and annoyance and I haven't messed with it since.

BTW, I believe more of those BIS resistance hangars could be ridded of and replaced with MAPFACT or RSKL hangars, they just don't serve much use if they can't open any wider.

Lemme know about the progress,

Later.

Hi,

I just tried downloading this map, but the link on page 1 gives me an 404 error. :/ Are there any mirror links available?