Sign in to follow this  
WargamingNor

Tom Clancy movies on the horizon

One thing to keep in mind is that Net Force and Ops center are not Clancy novels. They are christened Tom Clancy's Net Force and Tom Clancy's Ops Center but in fact he doesn't write them at all. He's pretty much like movie producer when it comes to those. Basically the book publisher figures they can sell more if it has the Clancy name on it. I personally don't like that practice as it's completely misleading.

Same goes for Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and all but the first of the Rainbow six games. He literally has nothing to do with any of them other than the fact his name is stamped on to give a facade of authenticy. It's true that he had input and gave some technical advisement for the first Rainbow Six game. At that time it was still his company (UBI owns Red Storm Entertainment now) and the game was being created at the same time he was writing the book. All that said the book and the game are very different.

As for the movies them selves I'm a little disappointed. So far none of the Clancy movies have been any were as good as the books (The Hunt for Red October was pretty good though). My biggest worry is that any new Clancy novels are going to be as politically correct and lame as The sum of all fears movie.

Without Remorse and Red Storm Rising are my two favorite Clancy novels. My mind clouds with dread and loathing when I consider how Hollywood will castrate Without Remorse. As for Red Storm Rising I agree it would be better done as high budget mini series or even a trilogy of three and one half hour movies. Though Hollywood would change it to present day and wipe the opening chapter from the story (PC pussies). Hollywood can’t be trusted with Red Storm Rising, plain and simple.

God I hate Hollywood. I wish it would fall into the sea. Bunch of no talent hacks who roll through life with out a clue. They have the midas touch, every thing they touch turns to shit.

Sean Connery, Sam Neill, Alec Baldwin... Actors aren't bad in Red October!

Plus the sub movie with Liam Neeson (one of the best actors around IMHO) and Han Solo is K-19: Widowmaker. So, not K-12.

About first RS game... About half of it is based on the book. In laters, characters, maybe some story (don't think so though)...

Ghost Recon and Splinty, no idea. Maybe, maybe not.

I hope they dont screw it up like they did with Sum of all fears. Man that movie sucked. mad_o.gif

I can wholeheartedly recommend seeing red october if you can find it. Just the theme music is worth it. tounge_o.gif

Wish they made a big-budget movie of red storm rising, R6 was hardly interesting book. sad_o.gif

I agree that RSR - if made into a miniseries with the same quality as BoB - would be incredible. I can't see them stuffing RSR into a movie, there's just too much going on.

I just worry that the constant jumping from one character to an entirely different one would be tough to get immersed in in any medium but print.

I can wholeheartedly recommend seeing red october if you can find it. Just the theme music is worth it. tounge_o.gif

Wish they made a big-budget movie of red storm rising, R6 was hardly interesting book. sad_o.gif

Red October ruled!!!!! wink_o.gif

I just hope that they're not going to go literally by the book in all issues - Clancy compared the people's heads to watermelons so...

I'll see if i can obtain a DVD of it.

And sorry i messed up it is indeed K-19 and not K-12 (somehow the no.1'2' sneaked up because of that K-2 mountain tounge_o.gif ).

The Hunt for Red October is a very good film imo.

I dreamed of a Red Storm Rising movie since I read the book many years ago. I hope with modern technology the realisation of the red storm rising movie wil be possible. But I think, there is so much in this story, that it cant be put in only one film. They must make a movie series like Band of Brothers to tell the complete story.

Red October is about the closest that any of them has come (also seen Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, and SoaF.) Sadly there was too much material even there that was screwed up in 'artistic license'. The directors etc failed to realize the appeal of Clancy is not how rediculously sci-fi he can get (that's George Lucas' dept, or was, depending on your opinion of I, II, and III), it's how eerily close to reality Clancy's hypotheticals are.

Case in point re Red October. It's not some fancy-schamancy cryogenic-superconductor pulse drive on the boat, it's just a set of simple auger's in baffled ducts. That's brilliant, and it's not rediculous, and totally missed by the director.

The one scene I watched Clear and Present Danger for - and was disappointed in the absence of - was the extraction sequence that serves as a prelude for a back-story in Debt of Honor. Chavez out at the proving range though... smile_o.gif somebody needs to make that as a MP scenario for OFP or something.

The only change that I could probably support would be putting Prez. Fowler at the ball game rather than at Camp David in CapD. Theatrically for drama that was nice, but it doesn't compensate for the rest of the crap.

Debt of Honor and Executive Orders would indeed be some great movies, as would The Bear and the Dragon. I'll wait for the library to get the videos though, as the movies have been so crapped up it's not worth the couple bucks to rent them now. That's the opinon of an engineering geek who read all the books several times before seeing the movies.

If you haven't read the books, see the movies first so you have a chance to enjoy them, then read the books to see how it was supposed to have been.