Sign in to follow this  
klavan

Tonali and memory

Hi all.

I've downloaded BAS Tonali islands some days ago, but I can't run the larger one, as the PC crashes to desktop every time. This not happen with the minor island.

This is the error message I receive every time:

Out of reserved memory (2621444 kb)

Code change required (current limit 524288 kb)

Total free 287291 kb

Fre blocks 286, max free size 192514 kb

My PC is a P4 3ghz with 1 giga RAM and ATI Radeon 9600 (with last drive version installed)

The overall settings of my OFP are quite high.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok let us beginn:

-have you set -nomap in your OFP shortcut ?

-how big is your Pagefile ? (try 1000MB and more)

-Have you run any Programms or performance increasing Mods like E-ECP, Y2K3 or other ?

I hope this help you...

Well, BAS Tonal is one of the largest, if not the largest map available for OPF, and very detailed. So it's a memory eater.

You have high settings, very powerful PC though.

Lower settings and/or check that you're not missing anything needed.

Check the readme.

I was able to run that island on a 900Mhz/364mb computer with a 64mb Radeon pretty well - you should be able to run it with a good view distance.

Probably the most important thing you can do is the "-nomap" shortcut. It improves the performance of Radeon GFX cards immensely when running OFP. If I didn't run Tonal with that, I would have crashed all the time too.

Extracted from a Italian to English dictionary.

"Pigrizia: laziness; indolence; idleness; slothfulness"

If one day the destiny of the entire planet will depend on me....well, I suggest you to take the first starship to Alpha-Centaury!! tounge_o.gif

The "problem" (??!!) were the topographical information level wich were set too high....

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Erm... What does the -nomap actually do?

When you launch OFP the screen appear black, without the usual cutscene.

This speed up the load of the game.

If I'm not wrong, naturally....

Erm... What does the -nomap actually do?

When you launch OFP the screen appear black, without the usual cutscene.

This speed up the load of the game.

If I'm not wrong, naturally....

Hm, that's the "-nosplash" option. "-nomap" causes, that addons are loaded into the memory when they are needed and not at game startup (uh, bad english today)

Jens

Hm, that's the "-nosplash" option. "-nomap" causes, that addons are loaded into the memory when they are needed and not at game startup (uh, bad english today)

All the addons stored in the Addons folder in the OFP directory?

That's what I found regarding the "-nomap" command

BUG FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS IN 1.92 BETA

=======================================

1.92 - Fixed: Different file-access technique used when memory mapping fails. This should prevent Cannot memory map file errors. This alternative technique can be also enforced for all files by using command line switch -nomap

"operation flashpoint loads all of your addon folder when it starts

without the -nomap it tries to load an incredible amount of stuff into RAM and continue operation. On most systems out there this brings the game to a screeching halt and an abrupt return to desktop "

"Oh, btw: the addons do not "get loaded into ram" when ofp starts, but mapped into virtual memory. If all the ~3gb of addons i use would get loaded into ram i should be able to see this in the swapfile usage, which i don't. This is what the -nomap parameter changes ;) "

Does that help?

Jens

More clear than that is impossible!

It was only my personal curiosity, as I believed -nomap was only for the map-cutscene on start and -nosplash for the intro....

Thanks jens. smile_o.gif