Sign in to follow this  
cozza

Updating stuff

Hi ya. Recently Ive been planing on updating my comp. I'm 16 and I'm earning 50 a week. At the moment I got 400 bucks AUD. I need know what the best I can buy.

My current comp specs are

Pentium 4 cpu 1.80GHz

256 RAM

GeForce2 MX400

edit* Updated my age. I forgot i had a Birthday yesterday

Double the memory.

EDIT: Im going to spare some trouble and tell that 400 AUD equals 235 euros.

okay. I'll have a look into it. wink_o.gif

.. and use the remaining 150-180 euros for a decent graphics adapter. tounge_o.gif

all right. wink_o.gif I'll look into that as well wink_o.gif

editI found a nice Kingston 1gb RAM for 185 AUD on NewEgg.com

and a GeForce 6 for 170 AUD. IS that a good deal  rock.gif

A geforce 6 what?, 6200, 6600, 6600GT, 6800LE, 6800, 6800GE, 6800GT, 6800U, 6800UE?

That one is pci-x. i think you would need a agp one, if you can go with the GT, just be sure your new hd runs on your mobo first, if upgrading from a gf2 to a 6600 be very carefull, your jaw may drop and if your sitting it may hit you in the nuts  biggrin_o.gif .

edit: Almost forgot, happy late birthday, hope you enjoy your sweet 16 at its fullest too smile_o.gif .

Hey Batdog,

There's a similar topic going on here. Maybe you can get a few pointers from there. I did.

ok. thanks all for ya help. I dont know much about Graphics cards or Ram. I'm just upgrading it becuase my comp was great for game in 2000 but now it has trouble running flashpoint wink_o.gif

just for knows. Is the price on NewEgg.com USD rock.gif

I order from Newegg.Nothing but great service.

I live in the US and as far as I know,I know they have east and west coast locations in the US

Quote[/b] ]this one

Oh ok, but the 128bit is going to castrate the 256MB of memory. The manufacturors like to throw more RAM on low-end GFX cards because the believe that the low-end buyer thinks that more RAM=Better performance, that is not the case with mid-range to lower end cards today.

Quote[/b] ]That one is pci-x.

No, its PCI-E wink_o.gif, PCI-E and PCI-X are quite different.

Quote[/b] ]Take a look at the XFX 6600GT.

Yep, its a good deal but I"ve heard many horror stories that XFX 6600GT's have missing/broken capacitators, sometime rolling around in the box! wow_o.gifrock.gif

May I suggest: This one, its a bit more expensive but its not an XFX.

Yep, its a good deal but I"ve heard many horror stories that XFX 6600GT's have missing/broken capacitators, sometime rolling around in the box!  wow_o.gif  rock.gif

May I suggest: This one, its a bit more expensive but its not an XFX.

Hmm, I have always heard good things from XFX.  Thanks for the info smile_o.gif.

EDIT: I would also like to add, you should look into an ATI 9800pro. They are dirt cheap and great cards. I bought one a few weeks ago and play all my games besides OFP at the highest settings smile_o.gif.