Sign in to follow this  
FireflyPL

Map without water

I m thinking about creating a map but I got some questions, Can someone tell me what happens if i make map without water? What happens if player comes to the edge of the map? Can someone post a picture of this "map end" or can give me a link to some ofp map where there is no water so I can check it by myself?

Well an Island with no water?

It's possible just look at the Afgahnian Island.

Good Luck

I ve done it but what happens in game? How player sees this "map end" if map is not an island and there is no water?

if you remember in OFP, if you fly out to see, it continues infintaly (well, as far as i was bothered to go) - if you make a map which encloses the whole are with land, you still have sea/water from that point onwards with vertical cliffs at the edge of your 'island'

if you remember in OFP, if you fly out to see, it continues infintaly (well, as far as i was bothered to go) - if you make a map which encloses the whole are with land, you still have sea/water from that point onwards with vertical cliffs at the edge of your 'island'

sad_o.gif Thats not good. I was thinking about making a map with "roads to nowhere" at the edges of it. Too bad that there is still a water crazy_o.gif

Heres a hint, just make the edges of the map be hills as they go so that when normally on the map it looks like it keeps going. You could also put forests around the border to hide the water. Probably not really what your looking for but it is a way to disguise it.

Heres a hint, just make the edges of the map be hills as they go so that when normally on the map it looks like it keeps going. You could also put forests around the border to hide the water. Probably not really what your looking for but it is a way to disguise it.

Well these tricks are nice, but i wanna make desert island of Karbala area smile_o.gif, so hard to say how it would look like on desert

Well obviously don't use forests then, maybe use large formations or mountains or sand dunes depending on what the area is like.

I know...thats too bad,I like the endless sea for sure,but no way to change it to all desert?

Possible with some config changes to remove the sea?

Too bad we also can't load maps on the fly,then when you hit the border,you could load another map

The only way I can figure to do it like that is a campaign like missions

Well you could change the water texture to a desert texture and just claim that after the 12.5 x 12.5 part its all quicksand. But I don't think many people would like that.

Well we have broken a lot boundaries in ofp so maybe there is some way to break this one. You could also do a larger map and then have something scripted in so as the player approachs the border fog rolls in and his screen blacks out. But that doesn't really solve the problem at hand.

Well this are good ideas. I especialy like the one with quick sands as It would be to complex to script fog or blackout. I ll try to use sand textures instead of water. Maybe this will be ok, I have to try it.

Well we have broken a lot boundaries in ofp so maybe there is some way to break this one.

I fear this boundary cannot be broken. I'd suggest to somehow make out some natural straight coastline to somehow close the map, with all the important things in the center so that player won't be attracted by the coast. smile_o.gif

That blackout idea is interesting...