Sign in to follow this  
TheOriginalGrayFox

Addon and missions carryover

I think it would be awesome if we could use our OFP and OFP:R addons and missions in OFP-2. That way people won't have to remake everything all over again, or just play OFP for the maps like RTS3, CTI, and Crime City. This happens alot in games, a sequel is produced and the game before it's addons and mods are not able to be used in the sequel. IF you guys could do that, it would make alot of people happy. Thanks.

First of all, welcome MGS fan. smile_o.gif

BIS has already said they "are considering it" but I would like to point out that whatever optimizations they make to the original engine, it is likely that older mods will not stay at top potential. Many times game systems such as weapons and the "action menu" system will be changed and adaptations need to be made. And while 3d models may be imported, new features such as a skeletal type modeling will make the old models incompatible with new animations, etc. While it is a pain to while for conversions of old addons, I'm sure many members would rather have many systems modified to take advantage of new features, rather than to get a "limited" sequel.

Hopefully they could make a little tool that converts model sections (the defines things) into the newer instructions. That way if they implement a new physics/animations system you'll still be able to use them after using this programme that redefines the selections for the new engine (I'm sure that makes sense to people who've used O2... infact maybe that could be included in the new version of O2 they release, or whatever modeling tools they decide to give us)

Im not sure wich interview it was, but someone from BIS sayd something like, soon after the release of OFP2 we will release tools to convert OFP addons, to work in OFP2. I hope this "projekt" is not canceled. rock.gif

This will be easy with vehicles, however with men... ragdoll, clothes simulation, that'l suck...

Plus you will have to remake things like rope scripts so they fall realisticly from the chopper and react on the people going down in a realistic way.

Some things will be easy convertable, other things need work..

EDIT: btw signature size is limited to 100 X 450 pixels... wink_o.gif

I like the idea of the tool to convert OFP files etc as it would make modding much easier and seeing the results of VBS addons, it really will make a difference, i'm right in saying that VBS's engine is the engine based on OFP2?

i'm right in saying that VBS's engine is the engine based on OFP2?

AFAIK and have heard VBS1 engine is same engine as OFP1 engine wink_o.gif