Sign in to follow this  
Billabong81

AMD or Intel?

Worse than that, no OFP!!!

Heh, no OFP2 for Linux?

What? With all the community can do with OFP and BIS can't make it Linux-compatible? What a disappointment... pffff... ghostface.gif

Lol, just kidding. tounge_o.gif

Just to add... the step from x86-32 auf x86-64 seems to be difficult. Why do it? Imo PowerPCs can do the job without this Intel architecture legacy clutter (AL, AH, word order) and without pumping endless GHz into the core...

x86-64 processors run different kind of instruction set when in 64bit mode - lots of useless legacy stuff is dropped out and extra registers are added. Besides, every processor after Pentium is RISC processor internally anyway, all x86 stuff is just emulation layer on top of it. Maybe in near future when more software is 64bit ready old x86-32 support is dropped completely from CPU and it will just be emulated on software with just some virtualization help from CPU.

Ghz race is pretty much over nowadays anyway, instruction pipelines can't be made much longer anyway and manufacturing processes have hit point of diminishing returns, it's all about parallelism and adding cache nowadays where performance gains can be found. For gamers, it's been all about GPU performance lately...

Btw, AMD64 CPU documentation is available for download at AMD's developer pages.

Well, in a lecture some years ago I could examine typical instruction code of RISC CPUs. The course's exam had a question about writing a little bit assembler code for a RISC CPU, too.

So I could compare with the x86 code I had produced at home years before the course (286 instructions for scrolling, blit, etc. in $13 mode; couldn't get a 386 inline assembler for TP7.0 back then).

Conclusion: The RISC code was much more elegant, since then I wanted a non-x86 CPU. But apart from Apple ($$$) and some embedded systems (small and $$$, too) there isn't much left on the market.

*shrug*

In the last years AMD and Intel competed in writing bigger numbers on their chips, the complexity of the CPUs increased (pipeline here, HT there, etc...). Heat emission increased, too. Both companies seemed a little bit like ricers to me. biggrin_o.gif

Conclusion: The RISC code was much more elegant, since then I wanted a non-x86 CPU. But apart from Apple ($$$) and some embedded systems (small and $$$, too) there isn't much left on the market.

*shrug*

Well, apple is bringing a <500USD monitorless computer package to the market soon.. wow_o.gif

*shrug*

Well, apple is bringing a <500USD monitorless computer package to the market soon.. wow_o.gif

The rumours seem to be true... more or less: http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/01/06/0657245.shtml

biggrin_o.gif

*shrug*

The rumours seem to be true... more or less: http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/01/06/0657245.shtml

biggrin_o.gif

<500 dollars!?!?! Thats like 12 euro's and 50 cents in like 5 months!

*shrug*

biggrin_o.gif

<500 dollars!?!?! Thats like 12 euro's and 50 cents in like 5 months!

Somehow I think apple is not going to be very fair when converting prices.. tounge_o.gif