Sign in to follow this  
killagee

Lynx down...

BBC News

"The Lynx was sent out after two Royal Navy warships reported hearing cries from people in the water."

Seems strange...

maybe it crashed becuast they heard they could fly a better Lynx in Flashpoint than in RL  wink_o.gif   tounge_o.gif

That comment is a tad tasteless don't you think?

Chances are not good. When I used to fly, they said if I took a dip in the English channel at this time of year, my kit would keep me alive for approx 30 minutes. Thats with thermals, flightsuit, lifejacket, and cold weather jacket.

Our Sqn thinking used to be better to try and make for land and loose your bailing out height (No ejector seats!), than to jump out over the water.

Any details as to what altitude the aircraft was at when it developed problems? Surely they would have time to switch on their ELT if they suspected/were sure they were going to have to ditch? If they had done so, a SAR package would have located them within minutes.

I was in the Manchester and Salford Universities Air Squadron, and this was like, one of the first things they taught us , how you don't want to touch that red switch unless you wanna get in trouble with the local SAR guys. One girl did actually activate her ELT and she ended up causing a massive panic, they sent out a Sea King to her position. She got chucked in the base's water reservoir upon landing tounge_o.gif We were based at RAF Woodvale which is right by the coast, so we were given pretty detailed emergency procedures

Any details as to what altitude the aircraft was at when it developed problems? Surely they would have time to switch on their ELT if they suspected/were sure they were going to have to ditch? If they had done so, a SAR package would have located them within minutes.

I was in the Manchester and Salford Universities Air Squadron, and this was like, one of the first things they taught us , how you don't want to touch that red switch unless you wanna get in trouble with the local SAR guys. One girl did actually activate her ELT and she ended up causing a massive panic, they sent out a Sea King to her position. She got chucked in the base's water reservoir upon landing tounge_o.gif We were based at RAF Woodvale which is right by the coast, so we were given pretty detailed emergency procedures

Hi mate, I used to be UAS a long time ago as well, back when the Grob just replaced the Bulldog. I was UWAS, down in St Athan.

We used to fly on the coast as well, so we got the lecture everyweek. Did you know all the info on human exposure came from the research from Belsen? Nasty! About the resevoir, I have some absolutely mental stories about what we used to get up to, I'm suprised we didn't die/get arrested/get thrown out. smile_o.gif Happy days.

Manchester... Did you receive a Grob from us years back. Tail was Victor Oscar. I heard one of your students put it into a field during a PFL. (We got rid of it, because the engine kept stalling during taxi and low RPM! smile_o.gif Never got mentioned in the accident report..... )

Hi mate, I used to be UAS a long time ago as well, back when the Grob just replaced the Bulldog. I was UWAS, down in St Athan.

We used to fly on the coast as well, so we got the lecture everyweek. Did you know all the info on human exposure came from the research from Belsen? Nasty! About the resevoir, I have some absolutely mental stories about what we used to get up to, I'm suprised we didn't die/get arrested/get thrown out. smile_o.gif Happy days.

Manchester... Did you receive a Grob from us years back. Tail was Victor Oscar. I heard one of your students put it into a field during a PFL. (We got rid of it, because the engine kept stalling during taxi and low RPM! smile_o.gif Never got mentioned in the accident report..... )

Ask Shash why he was in the UAS, its quite funny biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Ask Shash why he was in the UAS, its quite funny biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Oi shurrup Ronin mad_o.giftounge_o.gif

Hmmm I remember that PFL was a few years back, even a few years before my time and that was 2 years ago, so I can't tell you...

Yeah the reservoir lol... 10000 litres of near stagnant water does wonders to the hair, and everywhere else for that matter biggrin_o.gif

Lol you remember your initiation?? Ah that was crazy stuff! One of the things they got us noobs to do was take a shot of lime juice, keep it in our mouth without swallowing it, rollie pollieing across the mess, then rollie pollieing back to the table, and adding a shot of Bailey's to that shot of lime, then repeating the whole process. I'll leave it up to you to decide how lime and Bailey's mix crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Lucky you being down at St Athan, at least you had more than the Merseyside Police Air Unit using your base. Would have been pretty mad cool holding short for a Hawk. The most exciting visitor we had was a Navy Lynx, once

smile_o.gifrock.giftounge_o.gif

Oi shurrup Ronin mad_o.gif   tounge_o.gif

Hmmm I remember that PFL was a few years back, even a few years before my time and that was 2 years ago, so I can't tell you...

Yeah the reservoir lol... 10000 litres of near stagnant water does wonders to the hair, and everywhere else for that matter  biggrin_o.gif

Lol you remember your initiation?? Ah that was crazy stuff! One of the things they got us noobs to do was take a shot of lime juice, keep it in our mouth without swallowing it, rollie pollieing across the mess, then rollie pollieing back to the table, and adding a shot of Bailey's to that shot of lime, then repeating the whole process. I'll leave it up to you to decide how lime and Bailey's mix  crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Lucky you being down at St Athan, at least you had more than the Merseyside Police Air Unit using your base. Would have been pretty mad cool holding short for a Hawk. The most exciting visitor we had was a Navy Lynx, once

smile_o.gif  rock.gif  tounge_o.gif

Come on, tell tell.....

As for aircraft, yes it could be quite fun. Not only were the Hawks down there, but the Jags and GR4's used to come in for maintenance.

I remember my first solo away from the field, and seeing a Tornado coming right at me at a high rate of knots. The tower kept shouting at me to stay higher, as it would pass far from me, but I kept ignoring them and nearly ended up NoE. Then the bastard went past, and the jet wash nearly knocked me from the sky. (Fun as hell when you have 500ft of altitude)

For my solo intiation, I got stripped naked, put in stocks, hosed, released, gaffer taped up, and then had 10 litres of a vile concoction poured all over me. (Cat food, rations, old milk etc that had been festering for a week in a giant mixing bin) I was then left in that position for 30 minutes. Outside. In the cold. In public.

Funniest was when someone got abducted on his 21st birthday, and woke up naked tied to the Cardiff Airport approach lights with his 1250 (ID card) taped to his forehead. It was basically a giant drinking club, funded by the Government, with very loose oversight, access to aircraft and small arms, subsidised beer and food, officer rank, and immunity from traffic police smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Four bodies have been found near the wreckage of the Royal Navy Lynx helicopter that crashed in the sea off the Cornish coast, the Navy said tonight.

The Guardian

Anyone remember if Jinef was in a Seaking or Lynx?

My condolences to the families, we will have a squadron murmur later about it. Fucking helicopters.

Bg: Gazelles, Griffins and Sea Kings only mate. I won't fly a lynx, wrong branch plus I am gonna get out soon anyway though.

Edit: Spelt mumur wrong like a mong. What a rhyme.

Quote[/b] ]My condolences to the families, we will have a squadron murmor later about it. Fucking helicopters.

Sad day for the unfortunate ones, their family and their friends and collegaues!

Quote[/b] ]Bg: Gazelles, Griffins and Sea Kings only mate. I won't fly a lynx, wrong branch plus I am gonna get out soon anyway though.

Nice to hear you're still alright Jinef smile_o.gif

Oi shurrup Ronin mad_o.gif   tounge_o.gif

Yeah the reservoir lol... 10000 litres of near stagnant water does wonders to the hair, and everywhere else for that matter  biggrin_o.gif

Lol you remember your initiation?? Ah that was crazy stuff! One of the things they got us noobs to do was take a shot of lime juice, keep it in our mouth without swallowing it, rollie pollieing across the mess, then rollie pollieing back to the table, and adding a shot of Bailey's to that shot of lime, then repeating the whole process. I'll leave it up to you to decide how lime and Bailey's mix  crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

smile_o.gif  rock.gif  tounge_o.gif

Come on, tell tell.....

As for aircraft, yes it could be quite fun. Not only were the Hawks down there, but the Jags and GR4's used to come in for maintenance.

I remember my first solo away from the field, and seeing a Tornado coming right at me at a high rate of knots. The tower kept shouting at me to stay higher, as it would pass far from me, but I kept ignoring them and nearly ended up NoE. Then the bastard went past, and the jet wash nearly knocked me from the sky. (Fun as hell when you have 500ft of altitude)

For my solo intiation, I got stripped naked, put in stocks, hosed, released, gaffer taped up, and then had 10 litres of a vile concoction poured all over me. (Cat food, rations, old milk etc that had been festering for a week in a giant mixing bin) I was then left in that position for 30 minutes. Outside. In the cold. In public.

Funniest was when someone got abducted on his 21st birthday, and woke up naked tied to the Cardiff Airport approach lights with his 1250 (ID card) taped to his forehead. It was basically a giant drinking club, funded by the Government, with very loose oversight, access to aircraft and small arms, subsidised beer and food, officer rank, and immunity from traffic police smile_o.gif

Hahaha goood stuff. Maaan all the memories come rushing back *wipes tear*

OK I'll let you in on my 'misfortune'...Basically, you get a lazy uni student, put him in charge of a light aircraft for a while, mix in some cheap booze and Northern squadron buddies, and you end up being offered the choice of getting the dreaded chop, or resigning sad_o.gif

Obviously I chose the latter as I still hope for a career in the RAF, and CHOPPED is hardly the best thing you want plastered accross your service record upon signing up for the real thing sad_o.gif

How was the birdlife in your UAS? And I ain't talkin bout the feathered kind biggrin_o.gif I'm telling you, it was rather embarassing walkin round Cranwell in nothing but a white dressing gown, with girls around, in the same attire wink_o.gifcrazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

We had some welll preedee pilots and ground crew, and they were all top lasses smile_o.gif

Ah well, bring on graduation!

Meh, got busted did you? Unlucky, its one of those things we never really talked about it.

And for the record, OASC at Cranwell was fucking awful. I hated those crap dressing gowns. Luckily for us the girls were sluts (Why do you think the boss selected them?) and didn't even attempt to hide what modesty they had left! Huzzah!

Meh, got busted did you? Unlucky, its one of those things we never really talked about it.

And for the record, OASC at Cranwell was fucking awful. I hated those crap dressing gowns. Luckily for us the girls were sluts (Why do you think the boss selected them?) and didn't even attempt to hide what modesty they had left! Huzzah!

Yeah it was rather humiliating sad_o.gif I mean they were always talking, whispering, gossiping about past 'chop-ees', then lo and behold, bam, I'm the next hot topic...

Lol lucky for some isn't it... The closest to action I got was a cup of my balls by the physician at OASC crazy_o.gif