Sign in to follow this  
andylee054

Bayonet Fight in OFP1

Aww.... can't you at least show how you configged the bayonettes? That way other mods/addons can make use of the knowledge, instead of having to use scripting workarounds (like PUKF).

I know I'd like to know how to do it for my vampires. smile_o.gif But I was planning on experimenting along those lines anyway, so I guess I can try to figure it out on my own... crazy_o.gif

You guys have an english site? I'd like to read more about the mod. Might be able to make some pretty good campaigns against the Red Chinese smile_o.gif. Maybe even use the JSDF too.

Are you replacing the default strokegun anim? I wonder if it would be possible to have a few different types of animations, for different weapons, or can you only use one? Of course, I suppose you could fire off different anims via an eventhandler...

When will you release this?

Yes, you got the points, I replace the default strokegun animation and firing with new ammo. So AI soldiers can use it as normal weapons.

So, I don't need to make any eventhandler to make it use the animation. The only thing that I need to do is making sure all the soldier's "setUnitPos" is "UP".

We will pack it in our ROC MOD 3.01, we also making the new Taiwan map for this mod, the map is made in 512*512 scale.

So, it will take some more time to finish it.

We wish to release it in earily of 2005.

biggrin_o.gif

I see a flaw in this unscripted method, and that is:

Every soldier you want to use a bayonette cannot go prone. As you said, you have to setpos "up", so....unless you script it so that this only comes into effect when they want to use the bayonette.....

And also, can you only use the bayonette when you are out of ammo?

"if it aint broke, don't fix it". PUKF bayonet works perfectly well. Why are you trying to create a similar experience when it has basically already been done?

"if it aint broke, don't fix it". PUKF bayonet works perfectly well. Why are you trying to create a similar experience when it has basically already been done?

Because I am not the copy cat like some others (no offence).

So, I have to make a brand new one.

That's the spirit of ROC MOD.  smile_o.gif

the script in config.bin is:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CombatStrokeGun : Default

{

actions="CombatActions";

file="\roc_mod\anim\bayonetfight.rtm";

speed=-0.450000;

looped=0;

disableWeapons=1;

soundEnabled=0;

duty=0.600000;

interpolateTo[]={"CombatDying",0.100000,"CombatDyingVer2",0.100000,"CombatDyingVer3",0.100000};

connectFrom[]={"CombatRelaxed",1};

connectTo[]={"CombatStrokeGunEnd",1};

};

class CombatStrokeGunEnd : Default

{

actions="CombatActions";

file="\roc_mod\anim\bayonetfightend.rtm";

speed=1.800000;

looped=0;

disableWeapons=1;

soundEnabled=0;

duty=0.600000;

interpolateTo[]={"CombatDying",0.100000,"CombatDyingVer2",0.100000,"CombatDyingVer3",0.100000};

connectTo[]={"CombatRelaxed",1};

};

the code in cfgAmmo:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class roc_bayonetAmmo: default

{

hit=6;

indirectHit=3;

indirectHitRange=0.250000;

minRange=0.1;

minRangeProbab=0.100000;

midRange=1.0;

midRangeProbab=0.480000;

maxRange=2.5;

maxRangeProbab=0.010000;

simulation="shotStroke";

model="";

explosive=0;

cost=1;

simulationStep=0.050000;

soundHitMan1[]= {"weapons\bullethitman1",0.012589,1};

soundHitMan2[]= {"weapons\bullethitman2",0.012589,1};

hitMan[]={"soundHitMan1",0.500000,"soundHitMan2",0.500000};

soundHit[]={"",0.000032,1};

soundFly[]={"objects\noise",0.000032,4};

soundEngine[]={"",0.000100,4};

visibleFire=0.035000;

audibleFire=0.035000;

visibleFireTime=2;

};

The code in cfgWeapon :

class roc_bayoneM16A1:Riffle

{

scopeWeapon=0;

scopeMagazine=2;

modelSpecial="\roc_mod\misc\roc_bayonetM16A1.p3d";

displayNameMagazine="Bayonet";

shortNameMagazine="bayonet";

picture="\roc_mod\misc\w_bayonet.paa";

count=9999;

magazines[]={"roc_bayonetM16A1"};

ammo="roc_bayonetAmmo";

aiRateOfFire=1.000000;

aiRateOfFireDistance=500;

displayName="Bayonet";

reloadAction="ManActReloadMortar";

modes[]={"this","this"};

initSpeed=100;

reloadTime=2.000000;

autoreload = 0;

};

Some thing like that.

smile_o.gif

So am i right in the flaw i pointed out of your system? You didnt answer me. sad_o.gif

I like PUKFs system personally, but this is good work all the same guys!

I see a flaw in this unscripted method, and that is:

Every soldier you want to use a bayonette cannot go prone. As you said, you have to setpos "up", so....unless you script it so that this only comes into effect when they want to use the bayonette.....

I set a trigger or in unit's waypoint to set units pos "UP", for I don't want them go prone when close to enemy. The original setting in OFP is not fit to bayonet fight.

But, if I didn't set the unit pos, soldiers still will get up to use bayonet, after they kill the enemy they will go prone again, but that is not I want.

Quote[/b] ]And also, can you only use the bayonette when you are out of ammo?

The answer is YES, but you need the magazine named bayonet.

biggrin_o.gif

Lol... that's a great attitude to take. Yeah, you'll see lots of innovation if you take that attitude.

A big problem with the PUKF bayonet, IMO, is that it makes a ton of nearestobject calls a second. Even when the bayonet is not attatched, a looping script still monitors each unit to see if they put one on. Since nearestobject is a very expensive call, it doesn't seem like a good way to do things when you are talking about lots of units and lots of scripting.

The PUKF bayonets work, but they are a somewhat inelegant workaround the ofp system. Now someone comes along with a nice, clean, script-free version of bayonets, and you don't praise them for it? It may have some drawbacks, but surely it is worth looking at as an alternative to a scripted workaround?

If you need me to point out some specific benefits of making "real" weapons instead of "scripted" ones, here goes:

Player actually has to click to use bayonet, instead of it automatically attacking for him.

Player has control over who his squad targets, just like with regular weapons ("2, attack soldier").

Weapon takes the armor values of target into account, unlike using setdammage.

OFP AI actually thinks it is under attack, whereas they don't know what is going on with the setdammage command.

Setdammage doesn't work too well anyway, unless you are setdammaging them to 1. If you do less than that, you will sometimes get things like guys with broken legs suddenly able to walk again, etc.

Kill counts, "hit" eventhandlers, "dammaged" EH's, "killed" EH's all work properly. With scripted method, none of these work properly.

No scripts running (duh). With lots of units, this is a huge bonus, because there are less vars to save, less cpu power taken up, less errors when using the x2 x4 time accel, etc.

Quote[/b] ]I see a flaw in this unscripted method, and that is:

Anyway, I haven't used the PUKF bayonets much, nor have I used the ROC bayonets at all. But I would assume that the PUKF ones use the setunitpos "up" command as well; otherwise it would look very funky, just like the ROC ones would. I don't see the difference; it's just the only way to get around the default ofp AI.

@andylee054

Don't listen to all these negative talkers. If it were up to them, we would never have CoC UO ("we already have artillery!"), nor would we have enhanced AI scripts ("we already have 'guard' waypoints!").

To them I say: just because something has been done before, doesn't mean that is the best way to do it.

Yep! and thanks. biggrin_o.gif

That's why we getting forward and hand out lots of new stuffs for OFP, right? smile_o.gif