Sign in to follow this  
pajama

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

I know most of you are not usualy console players and often don't like "arcady" type games but I must profess that as arcady as the Ace Combat series are...Ace Comabt 4 is one of my favorite games of all time... smile_o.gif The story, the controls, the sound effects...the game is just so complete!!!

In the next installment for the PS2 well feature +50 plains, 30 missions, 14 hours of recorded dioglue of flight chatter and more!!!

The aircrafts included are (Not a complete list):

Tornedo GR.1, JAS-39C, Hawk T.1A, F-14D, A-10A, F-16C, F-16C B60, EA-18G (Growler?), F-4E, F/A-22A, MIG-31, Mirage-2000D, Rafle-BO1, Rafle-M01, Su-27, Su-35, X-29A, YF-23 (w00t!), F/A-18E, A-6E

The game's preorder packgage has very nice bonuses as it comes with a "making of" DVD and a AC5 Limited Edition Collectors Tin with 3 patches from the actual Osean Air Force flight suits in the game

But if you order the game as a special limited edition collecter's packgage ($130) you get this baby...

245584-FLIGHTSTICK2.jpg (Yes, I know its just a cooler looking Saiteck X45 stick)

Plus a as well as a customized, full stitch AC5 WARDOG Squadron patch all bundled inside! The patch is about 8 inches wide and is large enough to fit on the back of a fricken jacket! crazy_o.gif

Any ways here are some pics and video tounge_o.gif

x29a040625_063135.jpg

L_12.jpg

aa1.jpg

http://acecombat5.namco.com/

I hope that I atleast got some of you excited...this is probably the first time I'm ever have preorderd a game! wink_o.gif

yup, this does look like a pretty sweet game. only good flying game i got is Crimson Skies for Xbox. but i wanted a game that has real planes in it but doesn't require me to have to read a 50 pound users manual thats about 6 inches thick crazy_o.gif

just something i can pop in, and play. that controller looks pretty sweet too, maybe i should go and put a copy on reserve. sheesh, i love a good game as much as anybody, but all the sweet ones keep comming out before i can finish the last 5 that i got tounge_o.gif

oh yea, they also are now putting in actual cockpits w/ instrument panels and such. thats the only thing i didn't like about Acecombat.

and best of all, they are putting in pretty much nothing but new fighters, not as many of those archaic pieces of shit that are over 3 decades old.

F22 and YF23's out on patrol

F35 in action

Ace Combat 4 had cockpit views for every aircraft...5 looks to also exemplafy on this also smile_o.gif

SUck14.jpg

Su-27? rock.gif

They keep releasing games once they know that people caught onto how good they are. Even if they are bad. I haven't played ace combat before, i have a similar game cuz i couldn't find it. I'd like to have that package with the joystick though....

Quote[/b] ]thats the only thing i didn't like about Acecombat.

What you dont like me rock.giftounge_o.gif

Ok back on topic , i was a big fan of the Acecombat series for PS i had Acecombat2 and 3 but then didnt follow the other series as i shifted to PC. Are they making a PC version for this game ?

im afraid not, the developer is sticks to the consols. i've never heard of a PC game from Namco.

Well some of thier games were ported to the PC...Dead to Rights was one of em...Konami also dose the same some times with their Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill series...

But I highly doubth they well bring the Ace series onto the PC as thier is'nt really a market for it sad_o.gif

im afraid not, the developer is sticks to the consols. i've never heard of a PC game from Namco.

Well i have seen Resident Evil being ported for PC and its also made by namco isnt it?

Well i have seen Resident Evil being ported for PC and its also made by namco isnt it?

nope, your thinking of Capcom

Played 1,2 and 3 and loved them, currenty waiting a bit to buy a PS2 and catch up ^^

EA-18G, F-4 Phantom & Phantom II, F-15 Eagle & Strike Eagle, F/A-18 Hornet & Super Hornet, AV-8B Harrier II, B-1B Lancer, B-52H Stratofortress, E-767, 747, KC-10 Extender, X-45A, CH-47 Chinook, AH-64 Apache, The MIRAGE 2000 and RAFALE, Typhoon, F-35, F/A-22 Raptor, F/B-22 Concept, F-16 Fighting Falcon, F-117 Nighthawk, C-5 Galaxy, AC-130 Spectre, C-130 Hercules and SR-71 Blackbird, A-10 Thunderbolt II, A-6 Intruder, B-2 Spirit, C-1 Trader, E-2C Hawkeye, F-14 Tomcat, F-20 Tigershark, F-5 Tiger, X-29, and YF-23A Black Widow II, Tornado, Gripen.

That is the list of featured aircrafts extracted from the website's disclaimer...This includes flyable and non flyable aircrafts.  The list of aircrafts in the first post is definit flyables. Keep in mind that the rest of the 50 aircrafts could also include "fictional" aircrafts such as the reverse swept wing X0-2

More perty screens...

FA22-040623_133800.jpg

img_m14a_040425_124843.jpg

L_4.jpg

mr2d_formation_3.jpg

Only thing that really interests me about the AceCombat series is the pretty 3D models and textures. They appear to be very good.

Realism on the other hand....*sighs*.....makes me wonder what the point of releasing that nice special edition HOTAS setup is?

Such a tool goes to waste on such an arcadey game (and platform).

Realism on the other hand....*sighs*.....makes me wonder what the point of releasing that nice special edition HOTAS setup is?

Such a tool goes to waste on such an arcadey game (and platform).

Indeed, seeing that little combo there made me want to bang my head to the wall. sad_o.gif

It could be...but in the game, you are free to select which ever aircraft you think are sutable for the operations and you can also select/mix & match your squadren of 4 aircrafts.  In AC4 if you lets say select an A-10 for a beach head operation, and when you go back to refule and rearm, you well have to land at an airfield in the mission's weather conditions, not a carrier...But if you use a F/A-18 on the same mission you well have to do a carrier landing instead. smile_o.gif

I'll post some other screen shots of alternative "hangers"

Landing and taking off were way to easy in AC4, I hope they up the difficulty a bit as I won't be able to do a barrol roll meters infront of the carrier deck.  tounge_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

Keep in mind though that Ace Combat games is about having fun and is not a grognard (?) simulation like Lock On or IL-2.  As much as I enjoy IL-2:FB+ACE as the next guy./gal, some times its fun to have a little variety and be the hero. I mean if 60 missles, 10 LGBs, and pulling 10 Gs through a Death Star trench are not your thing, don't buy this game. tounge_o.gif

Keep in mind that i'm a very ana1 person pertaining to realism, I think no matter even if you are an arcadey player or study-sim flyer, you'll enjoy this game.

What made me fell in love with Ace Combat 4 was the story.  It's use of "still" artwork with a 1st person narations that had noting to do with you the pilot of "Mobius 1" was a somthing to be seen.  You actions in the air were only small tidbits that tied the story together.  Leaving you the charector as just another soldier whom is helpless in the unfoldings of a small drama.  I'm a bit dissapointed by AC5's dicision to switch over to CG though mad_o.gif

click here a monologue of the story.

Just watched the trailers. The graphics are very impressive. The storyline is not bad. The dialog is aweful.

If this came out on PC, I would definitely buy a copy - for the fun of it. Besides, my flightsim takeoff and landing skills are non-existant. sad_o.gif

It could be...but in the game, you are free to select which ever aircraft you think are sutable for the operations and you can also select/mix & match your squadren of 4 aircrafts.  In AC4 if you lets say select an A-10 for a beach head operation, and when you go back to refule and rearm, you well have to land at an airfield in the mission's weather conditions, not a carrier...But if you use a F/A-18 on the same mission you well have to do a carrier landing instead. smile_o.gif

I'll post some other screen shots of alternative "hangers"

So why would they have an F-15 (land based) on an aircraft carrier?

Anyway, if what you say is true I'd say I'm half-and-half.  At least it's not insultingly unrealistic.  The graphics look above average (models, terrain: great.  clouds, effects: average), realism isn't bad, but it's not good.  And gameplay seems to be pretty good.

Plus those A-6Es, *drools*  biggrin_o.gif

If this came out on PC, I would definitely buy a copy - for the fun of it. Besides, my flightsim takeoff and landing skills are non-existant. sad_o.gif

Just buy Lo-Mac and scale the difficulty to your liking tounge_o.gif

Playing flight sims against AI gets old after a while anyway, multiplayer's where it's at. I just stalked and killed an F-15C in a MiG-29S by using my RWR and short radar bursts to sniff him out, flanked him using terrain masking, got behind him and locked him up using the seeker of an IR guided medium range missile. Poor guy didn't know where I went, or that there was an R-27ET and an R-73 coming right up his tailpipe.

Feels good sneaking around a human opponent whose radar can lock you up before yours even detects him biggrin_o.gif

I can't say the same for the multiplayer community. Why, just tonight I was taking a student up on a cross country in an F-15 when we got blown out of the sky by some MiG-29 for no good reason! Simply apalling!

biggrin_o.gif

Seriously though, I haven't had very many good experiences with multiplayer. If I put the time in to it and joined a squad maybe I'd have more fun, but I'm just not in to deathmatches against everybody with an internet connection. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just need something more organised and realistic.

I know what you mean, and while deathmatches can be fun, organized squad matches are 10X better. I was in a MiG squad for Novalogic's F-16/F-22/MiG-29 and tactical flying with wingmen using Roger Wilco made up for the arcadey gameplay. Then in IL-2 FB I joined a virtual war, and it was even better. Now I just don't have time for squads, so I make the most of the deathmatch scene and occasionally find someone on my team good and social enough to cover each other smile_o.gif.

Are those F-15's in an aircraft carrier?  I just lost all interest in this game.

Remenber. Thies are beta images and in the full game they propley wont have F15 or land takeoff planes on Aircraft carriers.

I've allways been a big fan of Acecombat 2. I loved it. And I'm gonna get Acecombat 5 smile_o.gif

Remenber. Thies are beta images and in the full game they propley wont have F15 or land takeoff planes on Aircraft carriers.

I don't think that's necessarily true in this case. That excuse might hold true for a completely new flight sim, but this is Air Combat 5 - they've had 4 previous games to figure out that F-15's don't go on cariers.