Sign in to follow this  
Dawdler

Joining in game, another suggestion

Just though this up (not through):

How about making the host being capable of pressing a button to "pause" the game.

Then, in that "pause" everyone in the waiting room jumps into the game at a random available position (or let them choose, whatever)

They spawn, still in "paused" mode, then the host "unpauses" the game, and hey, were off, without having to restart the mission!

The dedicated servers can make a long 2h CTF, with 15 mins intervall where they pause the game for 1 minute to let players in.

There is only a question about the mission, if the server has a big mission which takes longer than a minute to load with a modem, they are in trouble...

But if its a server option, one can use it on major popular map which one assume you have already downloaded (like CS, DOD every other game)

Well, its an idea. I still am just seeking a response from devs.

Not even a no? Please devs, if you dont post anything I will begin to think you are dead, and I dont want to think that. Just a response, a no, a maybe, a not possible, whatever.

you can take that Pause Idea and stuff it

theres nothing that makes me madder then having a host pause

tounge.gif

and i suppose you got a better idea. I think thats a great idea the just might be possible. And what would be so bad about a host pausing.

Hey, RN Malboeuf, I didnt say the host HAVE to "pause" the game.

It is an option. Ive seen many games where the host says something like "Two new joiners and we restart". With this restart is totally uneceseray. With my suggestion you only "pause" the game for a while and let them in. Now isnt that better than restarting the entire mission? But as I said, the host dont have to, the game could play exactly as it is now.

As I also said, Im trying to get the devs attention, I want their oppinion, whether its good or bad.

I like this idea very much. As you say, they dont have to pause and if its an option then it might be used.

Hmm. then we have the problem if the server is a dedicated, then theres no host (right?). Then it would be possible to vote to pause the game and let the new players in.

There are too many 30 mins game where ppl leave ater 10-15 mins so the teams becomes very unevan.

Can we have a BIS statement about this idea ?

redsolo, the point with the dedicated server is that it could be done automatically. Like I said, a 2h CTF with 15 mins intervals of 1 min pause (options, never have to).

The vote is also a could idea. Everyone say "yes, let them in" the game pauses and let them in.

One good thing is that if one make everything respawnable including vehicles, we could run a 24h map of just carnage! People popping in with 15-20 mins intervals (if there are any, otherwise the engine should not pause). The problem is that OFP is not that stable... But thats another matter.

And still no reply, the MP forum is getting crowded of JIP ideas.

I will bump this as long as I need (or until I abandon OFP for MOHAA, HD2 or Ghost Recon) to get a response.

Quote from Suma :

"This decision is quite fundamental, has been done long ago (this game was developed for more than four years) and cannot be changed without major core code overwork. We are sorry, but at this developement stage we are unable to implement what you are asking. It would be almost as developing brand new product.

"

I don't know what can they say anymore.

Hmmm. thats probably true, about the decision. Sometimes you must decide between different features, and kill some darlings in order to keep the game together.

But i probably would like have a 100% working copy without JIP, than JIP and a bugridden game.

But it would be nice to hear it from the actual BIS ppl.

If they arent going to make JIP happen then they must create the server variables/flags that are discussed in another thread, or else OPF in MP is a no go.

BTW, you have heard it from BIS ppl (in that case, SUMA:)), just read one of the 67098 spamming thread about JIP wink.gif

I know they have said that they aint gona make join in progress because it would be hard (not impossible) and will take to long time since OFP is moving a lot of data around. I did not actually suggest real JIP here. I suggested a way to semi restart without having to restart the mission to let people in.

But I can live with no JIP. No problem. IF AND ONLY IF we get an ingame server list, like an ingame gamespew. I have already suggested that once (which I thought was an excellent idea) but no response whatsoever...

I HATE HAVING TO RESTART THE GAME EVERY SINGLE TIME!

"Hey pal, why do I have to restart, is it a bug?"

"No, its a feature."

"I...see..."

I'm sick of games that ppl pause for any reason, OFP is better with out Pause, if you need to take a leak do it on your time and not ours, face it you don't need PAUSE to have players join or restart tounge.gif