Sign in to follow this  
killagee

Australia selects NH-90!

Australia selects NH90 helicopter

Australia has selected the NH Industries NH90 multirole helicopter in preference to the Sikorsky Black Hawk for an A$1 billion (US$704.2 million) deal announced on 31 August by Prime Minister John Howard.

[Jane's Defence Weekly - first posted to http://jdw.janes.com – 3 September 2004]

Sweet! This greatly increases the chances of NZ also selelecting the NH-90, which greatly increases the chances of me writing an article about them, which greatly increases the chances of me getting a ride in one!

Good decision i think. Great chopper.

A good choice.

The obvious choice.....especially considering Sikorsky dicked around with the Fire Control Systems of the original batch of S-70 blackhawks, leaving a significant gap in the Army Blackhawks operational abilities for quite some time.

Wouldn't be suprised if some of the higher ups are still sour over that.

Everyone seems to be ordering NH-90s apparantly. crazy_o.gif

Sigh, from an another very common military chopper to an another. (Mi-8 -> NH-90) tounge_o.gif

Well, Blackhawk is getting quite old. There are upgrades of course, but with added price of these you might as well just buy completely new helo design.

Who cares if it is old? If it can handle the job, then it can still be used.

I saw a photo of a soldier in Iraq using an M1 Garand.

Who cares if it is old?  If it can handle the job, then it can still be used.

I saw a photo of a soldier in Iraq using an M1 Garand.

right crazy_o.gif I think you must have seen an M14 rifle and not a garand. THe M14 s still in use because it's an extremely accurate and tough weapon.

The Blackhawk is still an awesome chopper and very good at it's job. However; every machine get's older and at some time they need to be replaced (No matter the upgrades the airframe remains the same and get's older every year).

The design of the blackhawk is based on old stuff, while the NH90 uses the newest stuff in it's design.

THe NH90 is also a bigger chopper and can't really be compared with the blackhawk.

Great choise. The Netherlands will get theirs in 2007. It's a hell of an upgrade since it will replace the lynx (not quite the same size).

congrats  tounge_o.gif

dutch also voted for the NH-90 , good thing....

well duh there partly building it tounge_o.gif

Dear Helen Clark (Prime Minister of New Zealand)

Please buy the following: 12 x NH-90 TTH, 6 x NH-90 CSAR, 6 x AH-90.

Thankx

smile_o.gif