Sign in to follow this  
sputnik monroe

Addon folder theory

I was just wondering, if your addon folders get real huge will that start to kill your frame rate and performance?

If so what hurts more, the amount of PBOs in your addon folders or the total size? Example: will having 20 1 meg pbo's crush performance more that one 20 meg pbo.

Just curious, since I'm running four mod folders now. FDF,CSLA_RIP, llaumax, and sput (my main .98 gig mod folder). I notice it loads a lot slower, but I'm not sure if I'm losing out in other areas also do to the amount of addons.

The only thing i know for sure , is that the more addons i have, the more long i have to wait at OFP startup and before a mission finish to load.

So i think there is a hit on the performance, as the system memory have worked a lot more more on my not up-to-date system.

I can't imagine how long it should be if i was not using mod folders by the way.

I highly doubt that if you depbo ever addons to repbo them in one big huge .pbo you would gain anything in loading time or performance.

Several people in this forum wrote that their problems were related to the total size (not the number) of addons being loaded. I never had addon problems, so i couldn't tell tounge_o.gif

Hi,

that lets me hope - i passed @ the moment my personal highscore => 15,3 GB Addons

and it works ...

sure *startup-waiting* no problem

- but for me interesting is: do i have the same (Hardware)-Performence like playing with orig. addons etc.; means can i have 5000m (2500circumstand.) sight view with high details?

- or crash to desk?

- i tried it (drag all addons out) and made a benchmark with one mission (SPMission: R05TankPlatoon)

=> result: nothing (using fps) different (15 GB or 0 GB addons has no influence - @ my system)

but where's the end of possible Addons loading? ..somebody an idea?

greetz

I've never noticed any performance decrease because of number of addons. The loading times are much longer, but I don't think there is anything else. I currently have 1.82 GB of addons that I load everytime I play, and i don't feel any difference from when I had just reinstalled it.

I noticed the load time you guys spoke about but also that when i had dxdll and ecp mod enabled it kind of made my game a bit more unstable when playing, it even crashed to desktop twice when in the mission editor when i edited a mission on tonal island tounge_o.gif

and i only used bas addons and some object addon biggrin_o.gif

but i have reinstalled ofp and now i use more mod folders instead of jus cranking in every addon in one of 4-5 mod folders i have like more than 10 now organized and all smile_o.gif

Only thing i noticed with alot of addons was perhaps load time but i got time so i don't care. Only way you'd get a performance hit is if the addon uses alot of faces n stuff and then you'll see some slight slow down. Addons are a good thing, i want to get that out. Addons are definitely a good thing. If your addon is putting a hurt on your processor for all its faces, get a new processor. High textures hurting your frame rates, get a new video card. It gets boring fighting the russians all the time.

Quote[/b] ]but i have reinstalled ofp and now i use more mod folders instead of jus cranking in every addon in one of 4-5 mod folders i have like more than 10 now organized and all

Commando is thinking good, the best way for managing addons is to put them in several folders sizing not over 500Mo, 700Mo. 1Go, over this size (1.40Go) ofp seems to need more ressource (on my PC...).

I don't know what to do. I figured maybe it was the amount of addons I have or the total size of my addon folders but I guess it isn't.

My average FPS is 14 yet terrain detail is on low and view distance on 1200. I see lots of people use view distance 2500 or above and get like 30 fps. I just can't figure it out. Heck I don't even need the 2,500 view distance, I'd be happy just to get 25FPS on 1200 view distance.

I don't know what to do. I figured maybe it was the amount of addons I have or the total size of my addon folders but I guess it isn't.

My average FPS is 14 yet terrain detail is on low and view distance on 1200.

What are your system specs?

Intel 2.6 ghz Proccesor

1 gig of ram

Geforce4 Ti4200

Windows XP

Anything other info I should post? I might be leaving something out.

At least it affects my preformance. Whenever I activate a big mod such as Nam Pack 2, the world lags in this "update" way. You know, hack, play normal for 2 secs, hack, etc.

I found that as well. When I play with huge addons, my system slows down. I removed some large ones like the ROC and PLA forces. That brought it back to speed. Now, my only large ones are the tonal pack, the Marine Assault pack, and the Delta Rangers addon.