Sign in to follow this  
ebns72

Texture trouble

Recently I have started experimenting with o2 after taking some of Brsseb's tutorials- all worked out fine. I have tried to make 2 models-however I am having texture trouble on each.

The first one is very simple-I am making a "cardboard" birch tree-it is only 2 double-sided faces that form an "x"-like so:

135_1092928587_birch1.jpg

And here is the texture I am going to use:

135_1092928723_birch01.jpg

*note-that picture is in jpg format. The texture I used in 02 is in .pac format.

So, I select one of the faces, hit the "a" button, and then select load texture. I choose "birch01.pac". however, for some reason the texture isn't loading. After loading it just says "texture (null)". I tried loading and applying it by pressing B, but it still says "No texture loaded..."

I believe my texture paths are correct.

The second model is a model of a tent I made. It is not really intended to be released, just to gain some modelling experience.

135_1092929050_tent1.jpg

135_1092929093_tent2.jpg

I select "wood frame 1" in the interior. I am trying to apply this texture:

135_1092929265_wood15l.jpg

Once again, that is just a jpg, the real one is in .paa format.

So, I do the usual "load texture"-this time it loads correctly. I make a box and hit "b" and according to 02 it applys correctly. The texture paths are correct. When I go to view my freshly applied texture in buldozer, I get this:

135_1092929476_tentfail.jpg

Can anyone help me? sad_o.gif I want to learn how to apply these textures correctly.

1st Just looked at your tree-texture and I may be wrong but its size looks like random*random. Have you checked that the size is 64*64, 64*128, 128*128 etc.? It must be sized that way.

2nd What's the method you convert the .jpg to .paa/.pac?

1st Just looked at your tree-texture and I may be wrong but its size looks like random*random. Have you checked that the size is 64*64, 64*128, 128*128 etc.? It must be sized that way.

2nd What's the method you convert the .jpg to .paa/.pac?

That was the problem all along, the size. biggrin_o.gif Thank you very much.

For the record, i use texview for conversion-but for some reason it crashes when I try to convert a JPG to a paa/pac. So, I convert the JPG to a GIF first then convert it. Is there an easier way to do this?

Work on TGA files.

Tried it with texview before, also Crashes when I try and convert it to a .paa or .pac. Is there a better program to use?

Grrr-seems like I am plagued with more texture problems. I tried applying a the following texture to my tent:

135_1093057414_canvassize.jpg

The actual texture is 1024x1024, i had to reduce the pic size a bit because of forum limits. (just realized that may be the problem-texture too large?) Anyway, when I try to apply the texture to the my tent, it appears all blurry and low-res like so:

135_1093057588_blurrytex.jpg

EDIT: comparing pictures, it can be somewhat hard to tell the difference in the texture picture and the o2 picture-the larger version is much crisper. In fact, you can see some of the individual scratches and stitching in the larger texture in the one I am using. You can tell the difference in the resolution by looking at the patch in the lower-left hand side of the texture, then comparing that with the 02 picture.

Is, possibly the resolution too high on my texture? For future reference, what is the max texture size? If not, what is wrong?

Also, another funny thing is the texture appears fine in the actual 02 (in the wireframe windows) but when you view it in buldozer it appears low-res rock.gif

When saving your tga files from Texview as a .paa or pac file, do you generate the mipmaps before saving?

Planck

When saving your tga files from Texview as a .paa or pac file, do you generate the mipmaps before saving?

Planck

First of all, for some reason my texview doesn't work on my system-it can't convert JPG or TGA files, the 2 main texture files. sad_o.gif

I tried generating a mipmap for GIF, but then it simply wouldn't load when trying to apply it to a model in 02.

I tried the tool lizardx suggested, but whenever I try to convert it whines something about it not being 32bpp but is 24bpp (what does that mean? Does it mean 32-bit? If so, how do I get the texture to go beyond 24bit?)

Sometimes it can get very frusterating....

Oh and the mipmap, I'm not 100% sure but I think it has something to do with texture lods, maybe?

Well, I use Paint Shop Pro and it will create 24 bit tga files.

If you add an 8-bit alpha channel to the tga it then becomes a 32 bit tga.

Hope this has helped a bit.

Planck

Well, I just wanted to say that without Photoshop your life can be veeeerrry difficult. Yea, the 32 bpp and the 24 bpp is like the 32/24 bits. From the problem you mention I think it's a format problem you cannot solve without any good graphics software (like PhotoShop or PaintShop)...

Quote[/b] ]A MIP map (sometimes spelled mipmap) is a computer graphics technique used to achieve an illusion of depth in a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional (3D) image. Used in conjunction with texture mapping, MIP mapping features multiple images of a single texture map at different resolutions to represent surface textures at varying distances from the viewer's perspective: the largest scaled image is placed in the foreground and progressively smaller ones recede toward the background area. Each scale difference is defined as a MIP map level. MIP mapping helps avoid unwanted jagged edges (called jaggies) in an image that can result from using bit map images at different resolutions.