Sign in to follow this  
cpl_BOB

Detonator xp 23.11

please, what are the problems with the detonator XP drivers 23.11,

i have a geforce 3 ti500 and was looking forward to cranking the visuals up to the max, (my 3d mark is 4994-5200' it varies) 1204x1078x32. the performance wasnt great at that resolution to say the least, so i wanted to use the 23.11 drivers, but i am wondering if these drivers will improve my performance of hinder it..

if anybody can advise,     thanks

specs are

p3 850mhz

640mb SD-Ram

geforce 3 ti 500

Stick with 21.83. I head bad news about 23.11 too (memory leak).

RUN AWAY!!!!

You'll likely get frequent Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) stating "infinite loop" in nvdisp.dll or something or other...

I've just built my dream system - a dual athlon1800+ MP's with a GF3Ti500 graphics card on XP - and it was the most stressfull 2 weeks of my life given all the problems it had.

Detonator drivers will put you in a world of sheeeeeiiit in my experience!

If you are very brave & can get them try the previous nvidia drivers until you find one which seems stable and works for you... if it ain't broke now though, I definately suggest not fixing it 'till nvidia sort their act out!!!

I'm having some success & stability with 22.80, although using my TV card & occassionally WinDVD can cause a BSOD & a reboot. 22.50 for me didn't support Giants T&L so it got immediately canned.

Don't make the mistake of believing the 23.11 problems are restricted to those users with VIA chipsets - I've all AMD chips on my Tyan mobo, and I've read plenty of similar stories from users on other platforms, even intel mobo's...

i went ahead and tried the drivers, and i got a good boost in performance, however using Antialiasing isnt a good idea.

however the drivers have now limited me to 1048x768 resolution i most of my other games.....

I used 23.11 in XP and they worked like they should ~stable & good performance.

But in WinME the 23.11 is terrible; I go from 50fps (in the OFP main menu(desert island)) to 10-12 fps.

21.83 works great in WinME thou....and alot faster than 23.11 in WinXP overall

When I used them, they worked great in the beginning, but then I just kept getting the infinite loop problem. (sometimes just after boot, sometimes after an hour). It occurs in every possible situation, so it's not a 3d acceleration prob 'per se'.

I'm now back to the 21.88 driver, which is slower but stable.

btw, in WinMe I cannot use these drivers at all, they will cause the gfx (windows) to be completely distorted. With 21.xx I had this too, but after 'nvtweak' updated the clockspeed of my gf2mx, the screen was restored and all was working well. (it's odd but true)

I tried the 23.11 on GF2 GTS and it was stable and all, but it had gfx irregularitties, like on the middle of the runway in the airport it was a huge (well 5-7m) 'ramp' going about 45 degrees out of the ground with the runway texture on it. On the other side there is no ramp but a big yellow square insted.

I also had several yellow triangles and grey beams going from the ground up to the sky around, so I just reinstalled the old 12.41 drivers where I have no bad framrate running 1024x768x32 and it works like a charm.

I'm running w2k tho.

-Rekrul

That sounds like a W-buffer issue, and I know that the GF2 and GF3 (which I have) handle the W-buffer differently. Are you running in 16-bit or 32-bit mode?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm using the V23.11 Detonators without any problems under Windows XP.

The infinite loop problem is not specific to NVIDIA-based cards, so placing the blame on the Detonator drivers or NVIDIA is not fair.<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't mean to imply it was purely down to the det drivers, but the newer releases do seem to aggrevate whatever the issue is so be wary...

It's true it's not just NVidia based - users with Radeons are also having difficulties, and the issue isn't limited to WinXP or AMD platforms either...

Best guesses across various forums out there seems to be that it's some kind of incompatibility issue with AGP 2x/4x drivers and the video drivers. possibly. maybe.

The problem is no-one seems to be sure what causes the issue on one machine but not another, and no-one really seems to be taking responsibility for fixing the issue either.

As I said - If it aint broke don't fix it would seem sensible at the moment - but if you are competent at reverting drivers if it should go utterly pear-shaped then by all-means give 23.11 a try.

As the saying goes...  Your mileage may vary.

23.11's biggrin.gif

Best set of graphics drivers I've ever had. They work flawlessly with OFP, Ghost Recon and just about every other title you can name.

My System Config:

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 1.70 GHz

Intel® D850GB Motherboard with 300 Watt Power Supply

512 MB RDRAM 800MHz RAMBUS Memory(4 DIMMS x 128MB)

Elsa Gladiac 920 (64 Mb) GeForce 3 AGP Graphics Card

Elsa Graphics Driver Version 4.13.01.2311

Motherboard based Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Contoller

INtel Ultra ATA Storage Driver (v6.03) running following drives:

Primary Ultra ATA Contoller

Master -> Fujitsu MPG3409AT 40.9GB UDMA100 (IDE Internal) Hard Disk Drive

Slave -> LG 16X (IDE Internal) DVD ROM Drive Model DRD-8160B

Secondary Ultra ATA Contoller

Master -> Panasonic (IDE Internal) 100 Mb Iomega Zip Drive

Slave -> Yamaha 20x10x40 (IDE Internal) CD/RW Drive Model 2200E

Add-on SIIG PCI Slot UltraATA 100 IDE Controller (Model CN2474)

Master -> IBM Deskstar 37GP (38GB) Model DTPA-353750 Hard Disk Drive

1.44MB Floppy Drive (Internal)

Creative SB Audigy PCI Sound Card

3Com Fast Etherlink PCI 100/100Mb NIC (905BTX)

Microsoft Optical Mouse (USB)

Aopen W98 Keyboard PS/2

Windows 98SE (Second Edition) v2.10.2222A