Sign in to follow this  
Chan

The "Official" Prima Strategy guide

Comment on why you liked the book or not?

I've gotta agree with Damage Inc. the guide, while pretty good, is almost useless for the intended Red Hammer market, those who have completed the original campaign and want something more.

I'd say it was really only good for those who's first OFP buy was the Gold Edition, or those who want a nice walkthrough which it really is.

Totaly useless if you completed the game. They should have included a guide to Red Hammer in it to make it more useful.

I would think most of the people who bought the gold UPDATE allready completed the original campaign....useless strategy guide... I would understand if it was only included with the gold FULL version, but not the UPDATE.

Anyway I don't have it anymore (the guide that is) biggrin.gif

They should rather have included a full index of config.ccp commands and explanations of them all :-)

It's worthless becuase most people had already completed the campaign before it was released.

I expect they included it to bump up the price - dirty bastards.

I am the owner of the dutch strategy guide.

First of all, translation seems to be done too quick: layout codes are visible in the text, there are some grammar errors, and some english terms are translated wrong.

I agree that the walkthrough for the 1985 campaign is too late. It is however a good walkthrough.

The multiplayer section gives you some tactics and hints, it's pretty good.

The mission editing section gives a overview of many options in the editor. Nice for beginning mission editors.

Overall, it is a good strategy guide.

I really would like to see a Operation Flashpoint Guide with *all* the information, like: unit/vehicles/weapon profiles, info about the OFP settings, common tactics, multiplayer information, mission editing etc etc. I realize this information is available on the web, but the information in one book would be could smile.gif especially since the official game manual is very thrifty with this information.

Personally I found the strategy guide extremely useful, my computer desk no longer wobbles smile.gif

I haven't got red hammer because

a) Im not that fussed about getting it

b) the normal campaign was brilliant enough

and

c) Every time I see it in the shops it LOOKS to contain the origonal operation flashpoint aswell.

and that is bad.

For Å4.99 to download the campaign it's well worth the money IMHO smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Jan. 07 2002,20:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For Å4.99 to download the campaign it's well worth the money IMHO smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

IMHO?

Anyway, I think it's excellent.

geekspeak wink.gif

IMHO= "In my honest opinion"

IMO= is the same without the honest.....

At first I thought LOL was lots of love but then wondered why these men I'd just met kept saying it to me confused.gif

IIRC is one I only learned recently, it's "If I remember correctly", I tend to use that one a fair bit.

i gotta say i admire placebo's positivie attitude....lol, i guess there is a good use for the guide after all smile.gif , and anyway we didnt (atleast not me) didnt buy gold edition/upgrade for the strategy guide.... it was kind of just there.

I'm glad to have the strategy guide. If I didn't, my OFP set would be incomplete and that would be a shame tounge.gif

Well, guide is OK but it's really useless. I know some better tactics and it's not so usefull.

It's ok for reading a bit. If you're bored.

I was surprised to read the walkthrough for "Escape From Prison".

It explains how to wait for nightfall, sneak past guards, navigate by the stars, etc!

Here's how I did it:

While following the Speznatz in the beginning, I found an ammo crate, got a AK74, shot the guards and stole the Hind. After that I could level half the island with rockets and fly home. smile.gif

Yeah, you don't even need to find an AK to steal the Hind. Just take it.

The stratagy guide WANTS you to drive to the mountain, so you set off the trigger that makes you mysteriously lose your vehicle.

Escape From Prison is meant to be done by stealing the chopper.

Yes, i took the chopper and landed near the west base. I destroyed a couple of tanks on the way. biggrin.gif

I tried stealing the hind, but that was boring, so i stole the bmp, destroyed the hind taking off, killed the other bmp, destroyed the tank, and ran off. But whats wierd is why i got out the the nice cozy bmp, so i could go walking around in the forest. probably a bigger target. anyways, i thought it was nice of them to put the giude in the dvd case, but they should only have included it if i had bought the original game + and red hammer. I would have never used it, but at least i can put it in my manuals drawer.