Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

IE saving pictures as *.bmp

I just installed FireFox and I'm really liking it, tabbed browsing is excellent, also cool is the option to install different extensions.

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a problem handling cookies in this forum, for example the BI News thread, all topics have been read, I've clicked mark forum as read, yet in the index it still shows the unread icon, any ideas? I've manually added flashpoint1985 to the accepted cookies sites just in case that was it smile_o.gif

What I hate about Internet Explorer and Microsoft: They are always perverting standards.

Who defines standards for HTML, CSS etc...? Right, the World Wide Web Consortium:

http://www.w3.org/

These standards allow web designers to create pages that can be viewed with any browser in the world, even with lynx:

Example: two browsers, one content

That's called platform independency.

What Microsoft did was to incorporate certain special IE-only tags that compromise the html standard. Plus they offered web design software which creates IE-html. That's why you still encounter pages "designed for IE"...

*shudders*

Typical Microsoft strategy: analyse, adapt to MS-only, get away with it.

With the new design of my site I commited myself to validating the stuff I wrote. Therefore I can add these two pictures.

valid-html401.pngvcss.png

Further on I will mark all linked pages if they are valid html or not...

I just installed FireFox and I'm really liking it, tabbed browsing is excellent, also cool is the option to install different extensions.

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a problem handling cookies in this forum, for example the BI News thread, all topics have been read, I've clicked mark forum as read, yet in the index it still shows the unread icon, any ideas? I've manually added flashpoint1985 to the accepted cookies sites just in case that was it smile_o.gif

now that you say it. I can confirm this (never really cared about those icons). The cookies are handled correctly but the session data isn't updated "on the run". You can either close the window and open a new one or log out and log in again. Then it shows correctly. Which means the cookies have bean updated but the session isn't updated on firefox. Not sure if it's a Firefox error though. I suggest to check if the forum uses the correct way to update the session according to standarts. if it does it could be a fierefox error which you could report ;) Firefox is still in developemnt (version 0.9.2 now).

I tried logging out/in and that didn't fix it unfortunately, those icons are a vital aid to moderating as it saves having to remember which forums you've moderated, sounds simple but not when you're trying to do 846 different things at once wink_o.gif

I tried logging out/in and that didn't fix it unfortunately, those icons are a vital aid to moderating as it saves having to remember which forums you've moderated, sounds simple but not when you're trying to do 846 different things at once wink_o.gif

Hmmm. It did work for me. I tested it. This is typical symptom of session data not being updated.

And yes I know of their importance for moderators. I scripted my own Forum that I have to moderate ;)

EDIT: Hmm even stranger. Now after I made a clean Log Out and Log In again, marking Forums as read works "on the run" too.