Sign in to follow this  
Marksman

Optimising imported .3ds model

Hi,

I've imported a .3ds model and got it working ingame.

The only problem is that it has a very high poly count.

Is there any tools which can optimise this down to the 'normal' OFP sizes?

Cheers,

Marksman

ive seen some tools that will do this but for starters in oxygen go under the Structure menu then select squarize,might lower it down a couple hundred faces

This was a 3ds file, so you have 3D Studio Max? I believe it has an optimize/simplify function.

I'll look into this momentarily....

Ok, it has an optimize function, but it doesn't appear to be scaleable.

One simple advice is to plan your model carefully before modelling.

It is not very easy to reduce polycount afterwards. But I presume 3Dsmax has some kind of an optimazing tool where you can select the polycount you want to archieve.

Don't wan't to go offtopic, but run into something simular this weekend. When i imported some parts (objects: converted cilinder-poly) with more then 200faces (or more i guess), O2 reduced my object to +-173faces!  crazy_o.gif

Ok, my model (MH-53) is also starting to get big, but i wondered if somebody encountered this "limit" before?

(PS: no really problem, can always split structure)

unclesam.gif

Don't wan't to go offtopic, but run into something simular this weekend. When i imported some parts (objects: converted cilinder-poly) with more then 200faces (or more i guess), O2 reduced my object to +-173faces! crazy_o.gif

I know that O2 does convert sets of triangular faces into four edged faces in certain cases when importing. Could this have been the cause of your lost faces?

To comment on the optimization of models: I'm modelling a truck right now and generally not paying attention to the face count. The number is getting up there, but in theory I know the model inside out and should be able to reduce faces later on. I'll have to see how this'll work out....

@Crowley: the triangular-4edge face conversion of O2 could indeed be the problem! Oh, and i made a mistake (was 173 points....nothing to do with a "limit"..my mistake). Thanks for that info by the way, didn't knew (or realized) O2 did (4-->3) face conversion.

Hmm, anybody knows if max has a simular conversion option (4 to 3 edge face) that does a bether job?

Here is a lil peice of info ..

When you are finished modeling and are happy with how things look , select the whole model and press Ctrl C , this copys it into clipboard , now delete the selected model and press Ctrl V to paste it back in , now select optimize and it will do the whole model rather than the last peice you worked on. Do this for all your LOD's and OfP will be happier  smile_o.gif

This is also usefull if you reach the "my model wont show in the viewer " stage biggrin_o.gif

Thanks for the tip; I'm still trying to figure out where it took 13% of my faces from without changing the appearance at all. smile_o.gif