quakergamer

P3D Converter to OBJ released

HELLLLL YEAH!!!! Quick somone give me an addon before i shit my pants.

Nah you cant create add-ons with that. Only open the files. Need an obj. to .p3d converter. And I dont know how to get work this converter. Dont work for me!!

there is a .p3d export utility already out.

its not problem saving them as .p3d

There's a process of how to convert all the OBJ files into one p3d file. It's simply compressing.

But the problem is that MLOD format models were only available in the DEMO of OPF. Not in the full version.

The Full Version and DEMO both use the same models. I'm pretty sure of this. But they're not compressed the same.

Either way, it's nice.

We can't see colors, yet, though. We need a program that can format PAA and PAC files to TGA format before we can see color.

That program doesnt work, it wont create my . OBJ file

i have already some models ready

Im using GMAX and got the .obj importer

IT DOESNT WORK

we can only change the existing models , you can't define new textures coordinates , you can ONLY do little changes if you don't want to fuck your model

for example , the M2 with a realistic tripod

the m60 with an open bipod

a real m4 from the xm

only minor changes , you can't add new models

1. Extract the DATA3D.pbo from the OFP Demo

2. Find the p3d for the object ie BMP.p3d

3. change the p3d file to Mission.sqm. ie BMP.P3d to Mission.sqm

4. Run UnpackSQM

5. Rename the mission.txt into the new filename. ie BMPEdit.p3d

6. Run the exporter.

7. Viola! Loads of OBJ files in the same directory as the converted p3d file.

Basically, just do what Jellybelly said to do.

here are some decrypted models

http://home.bip.net/jonz/m60mg.zip

http://home.bip.net/jonz/At%20missile.zip

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">there is a .p3d export utility already out.

its not problem saving them as .p3d<span id='postcolor'>

uh.. .where?

The full version of OPF can use both ODOL format models and MLOD format models.

The problem is that our favorite guns, like the XMS, are only available in ODOL format.

We can only convert (Demo)MLOD formats right now.

Ok, after installing the demo I managed to pull some models out of it and viewing it perfectly.

Now how the #### to one turn em into p3d again?! That lonewolf edited the HK so obviously he can do that. How do WE do that?

One cant even do small changes if we cant get em back to p3d.

So right now the p3d to obj is completely useless, cause he havent told us how to work with it at all. Also, its so easy to GUESS you have to decrypt it as an sqm first.

"This 'MLOD' format can be found mainly in P3D files of first public SP demo (ver.0.36) - don't forget to unpack P3D file, if the first byte is 0xFF !"

Was it to much to say:

"This 'MLOD' format can be found mainly in P3D files of first public SP demo (ver.0.36) - don't forget to unpack the P3D file as an sqm file, if the first byte is 0xFF !"confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif?

And would have been to hard to add "This is how I made the shorter HK: BLABLABLA"? Just a small cryptical step by step?

Its like giving 3DSMAX to a 5 year old and say "Its your thing, you figure it out."

Can we get a hint on how to do it?

-Edit- HÄll is censored but shit and fuck aint? What a strange world we live in...

Hi all smile.gif

First...it's most likely that any other existing fileformat with the ending ".p3d" is not compatible with the OFP ".p3d" format in terms of converting. Various possibilities regarding this has been tried over and over gain by many, and it now seems pretty clear that the OFP .p3d format is an complete inhouse creation, or at the least an inhouse modification of a pre-existing format.

Second...as far as getting self modified objects back into OFP, it's pretty clear that there are a lot of parameters in the .p3d format necessary for a fully functional and interactive object that we do not have access to at this point.

Even if we could get a modified object back into OFP using the technique A-Lone-Wolf did on the MP5 objects, we can not set our own texture coordinates as far as I know. This means we could only move pre-existing parts without changing their individual geometry.

At the most we might able to move some vertexes and the coordinates might follow, but that would most probably result in texture deformation (stretching), depending on how the texture coordinates are implemented in this specific format.

Any creation of new geometry, would mean new faces, and thus require new texture coordinates set for it as well.

Finally @ Dawdler:

To begin with, the name of the tool itself (P3D2OBJ) pretty much states what it is...namely an exporter converting from .p3d to .obj format...nothing  more, nothing less.

My guess is that making a custom tool to convert .obj files back to .p3d probably was just too much work for him, or had some complications. Mind You, writing tools of this kind is no easy task.

I also think A-Lone-Wolf included pretty clear instructions in his "P3D2OBJ.txt" file. He tells You about getting the files from the first OFP demo (ver.0.36), and instructs You to unpack them as well.

It's just that the decryption method itself is basically common knowledge for anyone whith some previous experience of addon making, and I think he figured that too. Nevertheless, there are lot's of good tutorials on that subject on various OFP editing sites (for example OFP Editing Center) to check out.  

I think we should appreciate what we get instead of complaining about what we don't. A-Lone-Wolf put a lot of hard work into this tool...and then gave it to us, and he deserves a great amount of credit for that indeed.

See this as an excellent oppurtunity to study the original OFP objects...and learn all You can. That way You will be better prepared once making fully functional models for OFP might become reality to us.

Take care smile.gif

Jellybelly

PS Sorry for long text

I know that. I am not hacking down on him, I will always remember him as the man that brought us the p3d viewer. BUT it is still incomplete INFORMATION. Not the converter in itself. This is the official Flashpoint forum for instance. Maybe saying a little line here about his work? Im not sure Ive ever seen a name even close to his post here. This would be the obvious place for such things.

So what I lack is:

1, Information on how he did the modified HK for which I assume he used his own converter.

2, Information on whether or not he will give out/is working on an obj2p3d. (He have one obviously)

Thats what I want. Simple information. Otherwise it would be like BIS giving out OFP, then dont give a shit (I could use the nice word dámn, but they censor that) about it.

Btw, I know how hard converters and formats are. A friend created the nmx 3d model format, which I was suppose to model in, although it was darn crappy. I tried looking into it once but gave up. nmx2 didnt help much. It took me 2 hours to figure out how to get a 100 poly .max file to a .nmx file, just to find out the program crashed viewing it.

Dawdler...ever heard the proverb "Never look a gifted horse in the mouth"?

A-Lone-Wolf did this tool on his free time and without any compensation as far as I know. To even expect (or worse to demand) more of him would by many be considered more or less presumptuous I'm sure.

Therefore, his making this tool can not in any way be compared with Your hypothetical scenario of BIS releasing OFP and then not giving support for it.

Last I heard OFP was a commersial product made and sold by BIS...or did I get that all wrong? wink.gif

Jellybelly

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Last I heard OFP was a commersial product made and sold by BIS...or did I get that all wrong?<span id='postcolor'>

And? I still want more info. There is for example an new release of the p3d converter with better obj extraction (not that one notice much difference). I didnt know about it until I found lonewolfs page. I would have liked hearing that on this official forum. Even the fanpages seem to have missed it. Not that it matters. I will live in hope a while longer, just as I live in hope of a darn fix of the x is dead bug.

Dawdler, I contacted a-lone-wolf over e-mail. And he said that it wouldn't make any sense. The BIS tools are proboly here any moment. And lack of time. So he won't release a OBJ2P3D converter.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And? I still want more info.<span id='postcolor'>

Well my friend...what You may "want" is Your own problem then, because You have no right whatsoever to demand it.

*Jellybelly puts his teachers hat on*

Another proverb then: "Give someone Your little finger, and he might take Your whole hand".

Did that one ring a bell maybe? wink.gif

Or how about this simple statement:

"Never take the pure kindness of others for granted".

No? Nothing? Anything? wink.gif

Jellybelly

*Dawdler stretches up his arm*

Miss teacher, can I go now?

*Other hand is arming a small piece of wet paper*

---------------------------------------------------

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The BIS tools are proboly here any moment<span id='postcolor'>

That has people said since the release of the game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hobo Sniper @ Jan. 10 2002,02:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but does a-lone-wolf actually have such a OBJ2P3D converter? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

How else could he have done the shortened HK?

Hobo sniper, no he hasen't done a prog. like that. He hexedit the files. He said to me that it wouldn't make any sense to do a prog. like that. Because BIS will release a tool which will give us much more editing possibilities.