Sign in to follow this  
slimady

Glow Sticks?

Didn't know they'd be this popular! lol.

Well at the moment, it's all you can do - throw them.

The "grenade" itself is really an invisible plane, since you can't give grenades special abilities.

So you have to give your unit a fired eventhandler, and then it execs a script in the addon that creates the glowstick object that "follows" the grenade.

When it hits the ground, the glowstick stops on the ground.

It works pretty nice to tell the truth.

About the different colors, that's a good idea.

I think it'll be easy enough smile_o.gif

Yeah, I think one use for throwing them would be to use them as a targeting beacon for other units. I'm thinking specifically of aircraft like the upcoming AC-130, and helo gunships. I know that there are flares, with the GMR tags ( I think)  that can be targeted by other units.

A placed chemlight could be a more realistic lightsource for encampments, rather than the campfires, and glow with smoke objects.

Colors should include: green ( of course ), yellow, red, blue, and maybe a purple or maroon, to simulate IR.

Okay, red, green and blue it is.

There is another problem.

When you simply drop it, it's still invisible.

Hm. if I knew how to use hidden selections I could bypass this..

Ah well, just don't drop em lol

Quote[/b] ]Ah well, just don't drop em lol

Yeah, if people want the chem light right where they are, they can just aim at the ground in front of them. Good work bro, I am anxious to check these things out.

Monty

This is a very simple addon that brings something new to OFP, very nice work indeed.

Sorry to go off topic here but a while back I started a thread to see if a signal device could be created in OFP and this would be very similar to this project. Very same concept except it would stay on the soldier instead of being thrown. You could use it to help pilot better see you at night during CAS operation. Any thoughts?

Again sorry to go off topic.

Damn you guys are quick.

Since its already well underway, I'll take a few minutes to snap some shots of some I have around here. Then I can whip togeather a quick accurate model for it. Ill even model the packages to. Make kindof a stack of packaged lightsticks to act as an ammo crate for em. I Have yellow blue and white here at the house.

Hi all, got my new log in working! (Used to be slimady)

lol they really are popular. Thanks to Mr Zig and Captain for making my idea come true lol.

So I've got the initial ideas, all I need to do is learn how to make addons!

You 2, anything I can help with lol, I fell like I want to help and have some input lol.

Thanks to everyone who replied (which encouraged Mr Zig and Captain, I hope!)

The only problem is that eventhandlers are local. (I think?)

I can create the glowstick via createvehicle, but I can't make it glow, unless I somehow think of a way.

I will do some MP testing a lil later today, and see how things go.

MP works perfect smile_o.gif

But we have found a rather disturbing OFP bug.

You cannot create a new "throw" class, and equip the soldiers via their init.

So you need to equip the soldiers AFTER the game starts, I believe.

Basically create a script like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

;Man1 exec "EquipGlowStick.sqs"

_man = _this

_man removemagazines "Handgrenade"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickGreen"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickGreen"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickRed"

_man addmagazine "ZIG_GlowStickBlue"

_man addweapon "ZIG_GlowStick"

(Caps important I think)

I'll release it a lil later today smile_o.gif

Oh and they last for 5 mins.

Damn dude. Your fast. I was all about helping out to. lol

Oh well.

Nice job guys. It's weird to think my original idea, 2 days later is out there for all to see and use. Now all I need to do is learn and get better at making addons myself and I can get the credit lol.

Yeah obviously they will need some little tweaks as with anything...yeah the fact that they sometimes don't glow on the ground properly is weird but also when you throw them they seem to just land and stop, it looks strange cos you expect them to bounce or something. Great job.