Sign in to follow this  
BlackSkull

Long File check

HI, im new here so i dont know if i posted in right section.

Anyway can u guys tell me why is it taking like 4 min for file checkers to scan my OFP folder ( or what ever it scans), but not on all servers on some its done in like 30 sec. There are few servers which are scaning for a verry long time, and non of my clan members isnt experiencing anytihng like that..all overs in 30 sec or less for them.

I dont have any addons only the original 1 from CD and editor Ugrade. Thats all

It cant be my pc, coz then it wuld be slow on every server right?

PC:  1Ghz AMD Athlom

384 MB RAM

40 GB of free space

ATI Radeon 9800 SE

SB LIVE 5.1!

-------------

Im using DirectX 8.1 and Win 98

Thanks

BlackSkull

Do u mean OFPwatch ?

If that u can just turn off the addon scan. so u wont wait for it smile_o.gif

IF that was the prob tounge_o.gif

ummmmm nop....i just mean file checkers at servers. Like i said i dont use any addons

BlackSkull, I recreated your error:

It was caused by PIO4 (vs UDMA133,100,66,etc) being used when joining servers.

What you need to do is go into DEVICE MANAGER,

Check the : IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers : branch

Double click Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel

Under the Advanced tab of each, there may be a setting that reads: Current Transfer Mode: PIO4

And not read: Ultra DMA Mode 5 (or higher) as 1 would expect it to on such a system.

What size is your HDD, does it support UDMA100 or UDMA 133 ?

To fix it you may need drivers.

Email me using the email button on my post

Happy to help you get the right driver installed.

Antivirus software can also cause a huge slowdown if the system is low on memory, as would disk fragmentation or read errors due to bad sectors (due to retries).

If you suspect that reading files is slow due to slow I/O or one of the above problems, open a command prompt window, and use the following command in the OFP folder:

copy *.* nul /s

This will recursively copy all files in the current directory and all subdirectories to the NULL device (notice there should be only one "L" in the actual command). If your system pauses for extended periods of time, you should try to investigate why the files can't be copied rather quickly. If the drive light goes off, or you hear the hard drive heads click and seek back and forth repeatedly, you probably have a hard drive with bad sectors, which CHKDSK can identify.

In addition to the correct drivers, using UDMA mode also requires appropriate 80-pin cables. The drive will still work, mind you, but not at full speed.

Antivirus software can also cause a huge slowdown if the system is low on memory, as would disk fragmentation or read errors due to bad sectors (due to retries).

yep that was the problem.....only have to disable norton when i connect..thanks allot biggrin_o.gif

yep that was the problem.....only have to disable norton when i connect..thanks allot  biggrin_o.gif

Unfortunately, the NAV engine has gotten much slower over the years. About ten years ago I worked for Symantec as a software developer and contributed to NAV, but the program is very different these days, and I doubt much (if any) of the old source code is still in use.

With the proliferation of new viruses and other threats, and the availability of polymorphic virus construction kits on the Internet, AV engines need to be much more sophisticated today.

One approach that NAV takes is to not just scan for specific signature bytes in the files it checks based on the antivirus definitions, but to execute the program in a "sandbox" virtual machine to see if the program exhibits virus-like behavior. Unfortunately, that takes time, and NAV will check every file that is accessed during the OFP file check, as well as the program that opens the file.

In the early 90's, NAV could scan thousands of files per minute under DOS even on a low-end 286 or 386, with the slow IDE drives available then. I'm lucky to scan a few hundred per minute now...