Sign in to follow this  
xawery

Mono sound

I have just performed a clean install of OFP and OFP:Res. I've updated the game to 1.96. The problem I'm having is the following: the in-game sound effects (i.e. not music or radio) are mono, i.e. when I throw a grenade or fire a rifle, I only hear it over the right speaker. Only when I deliberately turn my left 'ear' towards the sound do I hear anything over the left speaker. However, there is no 'middleground' so to speak, the sound jumps over the speakers. This renders the game completely unplayable as one constantly has the idea that sounds are coming from the right.

I have never had similar trouble before, in any game. I have an on-board soundcard (C-Media), and I've updated it to the latest drivers. As a matter of fact, I've just updated the drivers of every single piece of hardware on my PC, I was so desperate to get things working. I'm running an AMD Athlon 2200+, 768 DDR RAM, GeForce 4200, latest DirectX... That's about all the relevant info I can give.

Hmm, now that I think of it, there was a slight hiccup during the installation of a patch. I was trying to install 1.91 and 1.96BETA, so as to be able to play without a cd. Sadly, things went awry with 1.91. So, I reinstalled Res and simply installed the 1.96 final. Perhaps I should have reinstalled the whole thing... Well, I can always do that, but it's quite a labour, so perhaps you chaps know of any solutions..?

cheers in advance,

Xawery

Run DXDIAG.EXE, and click on the Sound tab. Go through all of the test and audio formats, there are at least a dozen software and hardware accelerated ones total, and see if that exhibits the same symptoms.

I have just performed a clean install of OFP and OFP:Res. I've updated the game to 1.96. The problem I'm having is the following: the in-game sound effects (i.e. not music or radio) are mono, i.e. when I throw a grenade or fire a rifle, I only hear it over the right speaker. Only when I deliberately turn my left 'ear' towards the sound do I hear anything over the left speaker. However, there is no 'middleground' so to speak, the sound jumps over the speakers. This renders the game completely unplayable as one constantly has the idea that sounds are coming from the right.

I have never had similar trouble before, in any game. I have an on-board soundcard (C-Media), and I've updated it to the latest drivers. As a matter of fact, I've just updated the drivers of every single piece of hardware on my PC, I was so desperate to get things working. I'm running an AMD Athlon 2200+, 768 DDR RAM, GeForce 4200, latest DirectX... That's about all the relevant info I can give.

Hmm, now that I think of it, there was a slight hiccup during the installation of a patch. I was trying to install 1.91 and 1.96BETA, so as to be able to play without a cd. Sadly, things went awry with 1.91. So, I reinstalled Res and simply installed the 1.96 final. Perhaps I should have reinstalled the whole thing... Well, I can always do that, but it's quite a labour, so perhaps you chaps know of any solutions..?

cheers in advance,

Xawery

Check that you are not having the soundcard set to four speakers or anything else. If you have done that but you only have two speakers some sounds might dissappear.

I think you should have a c-media mixer near the clock. Open it and check the settings.

Cheers for the prompt response gents,

as it turns out Llauma was right, the problem was related to the number of speakers the pc thought I was using. the funny thing is, when I installed the new drivers for the C-Media soundcard, it asked my how many speakers I was using. Naturally I answered 2. A while later, on my wild quest to acquire all the latest drivers for EVERYTHING on my system, I downloaded Windows updates from the Windows site. I'm looking at the log now, and guess what I have just found amongst all the 'critical updates'? That's right, C-Media drivers. Of course this time, noone asked me about the amount of speakers I was using.

Anyway, I went into the C-Media Mixer to fix things, but that didn't help either. I set everything on 2 speakers, but as soon as I started up OFP, all settings went back to 5.1. As it turns out, in something like the 15th layer of sound settings under Control Panel, there still was this wee little option claiming that I was using 5 speakers.

Phew. Well, now I've finally fixed it and my return to OFP can truly begin.

Onwaaards!

X.