Sign in to follow this  
Sigma-6

Operation northstar update

This is an official news release by ONS, about the fact that our mod is nearing completion, and will be a  total conversion with a full campaign taking place on our own (now completed) island, and all of the troops, vehicles, etc, will be released with that conversion. We're talking about something like FDF or CSLA, with a custom config, custom scripts, voice acting, the whole shebam. The new Canadian troops are by me, based on Suchey's excellent Marines, and there will be further troops, (opfor, and many others, mainly by Blink Dog). The Island (Slavionia), which isn't actually an island, is by Blink Dog, with some objects from MapFact and AGS, the Trucks and such, (the new MLVW, LSVW and Iltis in the pics) are by me, and the long awaited Griffon Helicopter, the only part that will be released before the full mod, is, of course, by Powerslide. Almost all of these feature new anims by Anton.

Anyway, over at the site http://www.operationnorthstar.comyou can find screens and Powerslide's news release. . .

GREAT!! Good to hear you work is going well. Soldiers look good. But did you change the helmet model (I can't really see), because the canadian helmet is closer to the MICH than to the PASGT helmet that these marines have.

*edit* just looked at the screenies. There are more than I first thought. Helmet looks unchanged; perhaps you can change it.

The UN symbol un the helmet looks HUGE! I suggest a retexture with a much smaller symbol. (or perhaps a 'AN' texture for the moviefans tounge_o.gif )

Anybody have a model of that helmet?

I've used three different models for the helmet in the past, and I've never been satisfied. . .

Jackel326 has a very high quality mich model on his SRT addon.

BAS has a good mich model on their delta's.

Take a pick tounge_o.gif

here's a pic of jackels helmet. I doesn't show it very well, but it gives you an idea of how it looks like. A side view would give you a much better view, though

I suggest DL'in SRTv1.1 and check out the SRT helmets

http://sjb.ofpr.com/srt2/Units/Images/srt/SJB_SRT2_EarlyHS.jpg

Let's not forget BAS' delta's. They're perhaps the best choise foor a helmet. Look at this pci for the helmet in various angels. Note the side view of the helmet on the kneeling soldier.

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/news/pics2/des_delta2.jpg

I sent an email to Jackal326. . .

You know, it's funny, I was issued the old steel pot, and since then, I've had the new kevlar helmet in my hands countless times (I got out of the Infantry before it was issued), but I've never been satisfied with the look I got out of trying to model it. . . When I got Suchey's models, I was sort of in a 'fed-up' state concerning it. . .

Funnier is that last night AK and I were having a discussion about the 'Canadianization' of those troops and the helmet just got bypassed. . . (I think I may have mentioned it briefly, but I was tired of being critical of it. . .) smile_o.gif

Just saw your bit about the UN symbol being HUGE!

That's based on a pic I have of a CF officer overseas (a guy I served with, in fact; he was in a TV program about peacekeeping, and I was like; 'that's my old platoon cdr!' . . . and on his helmet (and many others) the UN crest is actually stencilled that big on the helmet. . .    Our old one just had UN stencilled on it like many other ones have. . .   I personally prefer to go with the big crest, I think it looks cool.

My brother's helmet is just sprayed blue under his CADPAT cam cover. . . I suspect a lot of them are just like that, and a quick survey of recent peacekeeping shots confirms that. . .

You know, I'm looking at it now, and I'm not sure you're right. . .   The Canadian helmet has the brim on the front like the PASGT, but the MICH doesn't really have that same brim to it. . .

I agree that the overall shape may be a lot closer, but in overall look, I'm divided. . ..

-edit. . . I think what I'll do is do a few 'canadianizing' edits to a MICH model.

Just saw your bit about the UN symbol being HUGE!

That's based on a pic I have of a CF officer overseas (a guy I served with, in fact; he was in a TV program about peacekeeping, and I was like; 'that's my old platoon cdr!' . . . and on his helmet (and many others) the UN crest is actually stencilled that big on the helmet. . .    Our old one just had UN stencilled on it like many other ones have. . .   I personally prefer to go with the big crest, I think it looks cool.

My brother's helmet is just sprayed blue under his CADPAT cam cover. . . I suspect a lot of them are just like that, and a quick survey of recent peacekeeping shots confirms that. . .

oh, ok than. The Dutch military (I'm Dutch) uses much smaller UN crests on their helmets.

I personally hate it when it's that big. The blue helmet is already a bulletmagnet, but with that big crest is says "look me!, shoot me here, right in the fore-head!". I hate peacekeeping missions. Most of em where FUBAR, but with the new UN peacekepping mandate this was changed a lot, thank god!

I'm not sure if most are painted blue. I find that hard to believe to be honest. Most should be painted green or brown, just incase your helmet cover get's damaged. Perhaps he got a leftover of some UN mission.

on the mich; consider the com-set in the pictures on the above link for your spec-ops.

Quote[/b] ]I'm not sure if most are painted blue. I find that hard to believe to be honest. Most should be painted green or brown, just incase your helmet cover get's damaged. Perhaps he got a leftover of some UN mission.

That's not what I meant. I meant that his was sprayed like that when he went on his Bosnia tour. It's still like that. I simply meant that many of the troops overseas probably have simply sprayed their helmets blue.

yeah, I did understand it. Sorry, but english is not my language so it's hard to write things down as I mean them.

It may indeed be true that many still have them blue. In the Dutch military they spray them back to green when they get back, I believe. Dutch soldiers have to give back their helmet and kevlar-vest when they get back. It's than returned to storage.

The completed mod will have an entirely new set of sounds.

That better?

[imghttp://www.steelchick.com/other/helmet.jpg[/img]

The bottum is too round. The side is a straight line when seen from the side on the real one. I assume this is an edited PASGT helmet?

I'm afraid you can't just edit the sides to come up with a decent MICH helmet (or the canadian helmet). The PASGT helmet is thicker and wider than the MICH. The entire shape is diffirent. I really suggest asking either BAS or Jackel326 for the helmet. Those two are the best 'of-the-shelf' MICH helmets that only need the brim added to them to produce the canadian helmet.

That's what you're looking at.

That pic is a modified BAS MICH with the brim added. You'd have to actually see it in 3d to get the idea I guess. . .    of course, the helmet does look different than the normal BAS one with the CADPAT on it, I guess it does its disruption pretty well. . .   hehe

anyway, now I'm pretty satisfied with the helmet. . . finally, it matches the pics I have, though I do think I'm going to flatten the bottom a bit. . . the MICH does have a rounder bottom than the Canadian helmet. . .    

biggrin_o.gif

eh i can barely till the difference from the canadian helmet and the US one.

they look alto alike.

expect the canadian one kinda is more straight down then rounded. and i am talkign aboot the real ones not the modeled ones.

Here; this gives a clearer idea what the helmet looks like now, it doesn't have the camo cover on it. . .

You'll also be satisfied to see that the UN crest is smaller. . . I couldn't get it to fit as well as it did on the old steel pot, emblazoned on the front like that. . .     wink_o.gif

UNguy.jpg

That's what you're looking at.

That pic is a modified BAS MICH with the brim added. You'd have to actually see it in 3d to get the idea I guess. . .    of course, the helmet does look different than the normal BAS one with the CADPAT on it, I guess it does its disruption pretty well. . .   hehe

anyway, now I'm pretty satisfied with the helmet. . . finally, it matches the pics I have, though I do think I'm going to flatten the bottom a bit. . .    the MICH does have a rounder bottom than the Canadian helmet. . .    

biggrin_o.gif

*slap myself* Indeed I guess it's sometimes hard to tell what's what if you don't see it in 3d. From the picture it looks much like an edited PASGT. I guess I got confused by the viewangle (which is not perfectly from the side) and the fact that you still use suchey's goggles (or at least his textures).

If you flatten the bottom (like you said) it will be perfect.

*edit* WHOOT! You posted you post while I was still typing. Looks really good now. Much better than the PASGT helmet. THe UN crest is much better now. Does the canadian military have the letters 'UN' written on the side? I see you didn't add it, but than I've never actually seen a canadian UN helmet.

I've never seen any consistency in Canadian UN helmets, to tell you the truth. . . some are just blue, some have the crest, some have the letters 'UN' on them. . . there doesn't seem to be much of a standard at all. Though, put to it, the standard does seem to be 'your helmet will be blue' and little else. . .

I've never seen any consistency in Canadian UN helmets, to tell you the truth. . .    some are just blue, some have the crest, some have the letters 'UN' on them. . .  there doesn't seem to be much of a standard at all.  Though, put to it, the standard does seem to be 'your helmet will be blue' and little else. . .

thank god at least the blue color seems to be consistent tounge_o.gif

Perhaps you can randomize the signs on the helmet with a little randomize script also used for random numbers on tanks

Wow, great news - thanks ONS.

...I gotta get some coursework done to make some free time for this biggrin_o.gif