Sign in to follow this  
Pathy

Save that damn map!

Ok, being on a slow connection, its a pain in the ass (plus a risk of getting kicked) if i have to wait for large maps to transfer. Now i can live with this if ive never ever played the map before, but very often its a standard map.

Now, i seem to remember that there used to be logs (i havent played much at all, so i dunno if it still logs missions) of missions youve played, so that in effect the mission was cached. This is like when you restart a mission on a server, it recognises you already have the mission.

Why cant this be implemented for all missions you play, so that there is no longer any download if you have the mission.

Other than that, the only downside would be any cheats, ect that could be gained from changing the cached map. but maybe theres a way to check this?

Answers or discussion of the +s and -s of this welcome wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]For OFP: Resistance version 1.85 and above, on-the-fly MP map copies are now saved to a new subdirectory, MpmissionsCache. The difference between the MpmissionsCache subdirectory and the previous use of the TMP subdirectory is that now, downloaded map files are not deleted, and therefore are not downloaded again when playing the same map, unless of course, the map has since been changed. OFP's MP code is cleaver enough to make a file checksum comparison between the cached copy and the one currently on the server side. If checksums don't match, a new copy of the map is downloaded to replace the currently cached copy in the MpmissionsCache subdirectory.

Thats not true for me, i downloaded a map, then 30 minutes later when i rejoined the same server to play it again, i had to download it all again.......

The problim is, that you#ll have to download the same mission again and again on each server, cause most servers have different types of filenames.

Example:

Quote[/b] ]co_04@_ambush.abel

coop 4 @ ambush.abel

coop 04 @ ambush.abel

coop @4 ambush.abel

It's the same mission but you'll have to download it again, cause the one you have stored in your MP Missions folder is written in a diferent way.

Afaik there was a diskussion a while ago about "How to write mission names", but i think that one ended in a dead end. sad_o.gif

Mfg MEDICUS

Also some servers have a script to change the map filename in order to prevent map-hacks (ie. people locking down their version of the map read-only after having edited it to give themselves tanks, ability to spawn bombs, and who knows what else)